Goodbye Jesus

Today, It's Been One Year...

LifeCycle

Since I've officially been an Atheist.  There was a week or so before this day a year ago where I was in a fog and had somewhat of an identity crisis. I didn't know who or what I was and It took a few days for things to clear, but once it did the world became a totally different place for me. My outlook has changed. I think I have more initiative, more motivation, desire and drive to accomplish more with this one life I've been fortunate enough to have. No longer in the back seat, believing someone else has control. I kicked the driver out and put the pedal to the floor, but I'm not going crazy... Just 5 miles per hour above the speed limit. :D

My desire for knowledge has increased. I've read books, listened to pod-casts and spoken to others about anything we know about the observable world we live in. I find it difficult to believe that the things I know about our universe are things I would know if I still fit under the "believer" banner. Pawning off our potential knowledge and ability to learn onto a phrase so cheap as, "God did it," or "God does it," contributes to our under-achievement, IMO. One of my favorite things to say to discuss with believers now is that science has never ever found something occurred due to magic. Religion makes this claim all the time when it has come to things about our world we didn't fully understand then science comes along and figures it out. Science has never come along and said, "Yep, you're right, it was magic!" Thus, religion folds on that point, looks for another big question mark in our reality and adjusts the goal-posts accordingly. Sure we don't know everything but no question mark in the past has been attributed to supernatural events. It does the potential existence of the supernatural no favors at all.

To switch gears... In this year, I've touched on my doubt briefly with family. My wife knows because I've been rather candid about my current position in many Facebook posts but I've not yet posted my ideas on my own status. I just interject on others. So far, there has been little backlash because I think my 180 makes them uncomfortable. As a seeker, I've always been driven to know more which resulted with my head in the bible a lot of the time. This made me the family expert on biblical matters and to know that the one they would come to for answers has switched teams is probably not very comforting but at least it's helped me avoid confrontation with family because I don't really want that. I just want to be able to freely move about the cabin. If they have questions, I'll answer the best I know how but I don't want to debate.

In summary, the change hasn't placed any obstacles in my path so far. My outlook has been refreshed and is certainly much brighter and I've learned.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Happy Anniversary!

Happy anniversary, LifeCycle!

It was one year ago for me, too - definitely August but I don't know the exact day.  It has definitely changed my life in similar ways as you have described.  The Xtian beliefs seem so foreign and ridiculous to me that I scratch my head and wonder how I ever bought into them.  The support I have found from people here has definitely eased my transition.

I am happier now than I have ever been - without God!

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary!

I have enjoyed your comments and the perspective you add to this forum. Keep the pedal to the metal (5 mph over)!

• Like 1

68.gif    To freedom!  Congratz!

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary Lifecycle.   I have always enjoyed your posts and, being a fellow cyclist, your "avatar" image.

• Like 1

Happy Anniversary!  I also echo Ellwood that I enjoy reading your posts.  Cheers to many, many more years in the driver's seat!! :)

• Like 1

Yes, happy anniversary!  

Your comment:

Science has never come along and said, "Yep, you're right, it was magic!" 

made me laugh!  It's fun and much more intellectually challenging to not just shut down the brain every time xianity makes some crazy claim that makes no rational sense.  It's so much better to learn and read and see what actual facts make sense -- in other words, to actually GROW as a human.

• Like 1