Goodbye Jesus

The Last Messiah

rach

Sorry don't know if this is the right section for this topic.  Looking for a little help in dissecting this text "The Last Messiah" by Peter Zapffe...full text here http://philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah   I am fascinated with this wonderful essay.  I would like to get a better understanding of this section below especially the part in bold, if anyone would like to give their interpretation of the text.  No this is not a school assignment rather have been meditating on this text and really want to grasp the full meaning.   

And humans will persist in dreaming of salvation and affirmation and a new Messiah. Yet when many saviours have been nailed to trees and stoned on the city squares, then the last Messiah shall come.

Then will appear the man who, as the first of all, has dared strip his soul naked and submit it alive to the outmost thought of the lineage, the very idea of doom. A man who has fathomed life and its cosmic ground, and whose pain is the Earth’s collective pain. With what furious screams shall not mobs of all nations cry out for his thousandfold death, when like a cloth his voice encloses the globe, and the strange message has resounded for the first and last time:

“– The life of the worlds is a roaring river, but Earth’s is a pond and a backwater.

– The sign of doom is written on your brows – how long will ye kick against the pin-pricks?

– But there is one conquest and one crown, one redemption and one solution.

– Know yourselves – be infertile and let the earth be silent after ye.”

And when he has spoken, they will pour themselves over him, led by the pacifier makers and the midwives, and bury him in their fingernails.

He is the last Messiah. As son from father, he stems from the archer by the waterhole.

Peter Wessel Zapffe, 1933

The only way I know of Peter Wessel Zapffe is that he is quoted extensively in Thomas Ligotti's book "Conspiracy Against the Human Race". You might want to read that book if you like Zapffe.

It is a very, very pessimistic philosophy. Human life is altogether tragic and something that really should not exist.

Link to a section on Zapffe on the Ligotti website:

http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=984

I haven't actually read any of Zapffe's work other than those quotes I mentioned. I think I would have to be in the right mood to read it. By the way, your link is for subscribers only from what I can see, and I can't access the article without a log in.