Goodbye Jesus

Form Is Emptiness

TheSpiritualPilgrim

“Form is emptiness, and emptiness indeed is form.”

From the Heart Sutra.

Buddhism… It is very interesting to me. I am not ready to jump ship and hop on some rebound religion. But I am really liking the philosophy of Buddhism. When I first heard the quote above something resonated with me. I am still trying figure out exactly what it means.. but I think that is besides the point. Buddhism seems to go beyond meaning. I love that it recognizes the limitation of words. In my reading of the history of Zen I picture old monks enjoying a meal together smiling and not saying a word to each other. They are just living in the moment.

I have not started a formal practice yet (meaning I have not set aside time per day to meditate) but I have begun to focus on my breathing when I am getting too much into my thoughts, or when I can’t sleep. It helps tremendously to bring me back to the present moment and relieve stress.

I feel deep in me that I am more than what I call “myself”. I am starting to feel more connected to every human being and the universe as a whole. Does this make me a Buddhist? I don’t think so.. but then again according to Buddhist teaching there is no form, no perception, no name, no concept, no knowledge.

So am I a Buddhist? Is there such a thing as a Buddhist?

“If you meet the Buddha on the road kill him!”

Technically, one is not a Buddhist until one has taken refuge in the three jewels, the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha. There is a ceremony. But I also think if you don't have a teacher yet, you can also just sort of say "this is the way for me" or something like that and then consider yourself one.  Anyway you sound like a Buddhist to me.

A ceremony does not bestow enlightenment.

One observation I have made about the internet (not necessarily this site) is that for some reason the Buddhist threads are the most contentious. Probably due to the vast amount of misunderstanding of Buddhism that is out there in the general public.

The Heart Sutra is a great favorite of mine, as it probably is with a lot of other Mahayana Buddhists.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply Deva. :)

• Super Moderator

Buddhism is not enlightenment. Some see it as a path. I agree with some philosophy and practice that stems from some Buddhist schools, but I just can't embrace any religion. Well, maybe Pastafarianism.

What if you're already enlightened and just don't know it? 

Buddhism is not enlightenment. Some see it as a path. I agree with some philosophy and practice that stems from some Buddhist schools, but I just can't embrace any religion. Well, maybe Pastafarianism.

Agreed.

Yes, I think you are a Pastafarian, Florduh.

Yes, you may be, but not know it.

ha! I thought you probably made up the term pastafarianism but decided to go ahead and google it.. Wow!

• Like 1

Deva, do you know of any Buddhist forums that you would suggest?

Deva, do you know of any Buddhist forums that you would suggest?

For Zen, the only one I know of is: http://www.treeleaf.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?54-TREELEAF-COMMUNITY-Topics-about-Zazen-Zen-Buddhism-MORE-ZAZEN!

There was a huge one a few years ago, E-Sangha but someone hacked it and it never came back.

Here is Dharma Wheel for other traditions, although I don't think it is very active:

http://www.dharmawheel.net/index.php?sid=ea0a45fa4407b3de68f6a24749c56b6c

You might also want to try Jewdism. Instead of emptiness they have Schwartz. Schwartz is form and form is Schwartz. Schwartz is finally transcendent of even the term Schwartz. And you can acheive Ben-lightenment.

May the Schwartz, be, with you....

:)

"When Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara practised the deep Prajnaparamita, he saw that the five skandhas were empty; thus he overcame all ills and suffering."

This is the line to contemplate.

You might also want to try Jewdism. Instead of emptiness they have Schwartz. Schwartz is form and form is Schwartz. Schwartz is finally transcendent of even the term Schwartz. And you can acheive Ben-lightenment.

May the Schwartz, be, with you....

Awe, the Schwartz! I have an old Jewish friend who calls everything Schwartz. Everything is Schwartz and everything is not Schwartz. Maybe he's Ben-lightened?

In my reading of the history of Zen I picture old monks enjoying a meal together smiling and not saying a word to each other.

Hmm...  I wish meal-time with the kids was like that.  Is there any way I can baptize them into Boo Dizzem?  Deva?

Sorry Denyoz, the Boo-Dizzem doesn't do baptisms.