Goodbye Jesus

Asimov's Points to Ponder #2

Asimov

It has come to my mind that we are in an age of our societal evolution that while we are in the infancy of recognizing equality among all humans, there are still some things that we just don’t get. I had this little revelation while walking home from work, and I passed by three different gyms; Just Ladies, For Her, and Contours. Now, I’m not fully aware of the policies in regards to For Her and Contours but I do know that Just Ladies is a breeding ground for man-hating feminazis. When they say Just Ladies, they mean just ladies. They don’t even hire men as trainers. What I would like to wonder is how a gym like this could possibly exist? I have no problem with gyms that cater to a specific demographic except when only women are allowed to do this and men cannot. Segregation isn’t always a bad thing, but I can just imagine if they came out with a “Just Whites” gym (nobody would care if there was a “Just Non-Whites” gym, because only white people are racist haters who owned slaves, ahhhh…..I love generalizations.

I would like to meet those women who bullied us men into allowing them into the gyms, and then go and show them this Just Ladies gym where I, as a male, cannot even get a job. If those particular women just shrugged and made some off-hand comment then I would be forced to conclude that hypocrisy is abound throughout the female population! When I say that I don’t mean to generalize, but really, the justice system needs to (and I think is) rectify this situation. You cannot discriminate by someone’s gender, just as you cannot discriminate by someone’s race or religion. Focusing on the individual is difficult though, when we are raised to believe in labeling people and sorting them into specific groups. Protecting minorities? Bah! We go a little too far sometimes in our efforts to redeem the irrelevant past sins of people we aren’t, don’t know, and don’t really care about. We only happen to be related to them and therefore think that we should carry this burden of guilt upon us and redo every past wrong and apologize for them. I have no problem with fixing things that are wrong. Bending over backwards (or just bending over in general) to appease a group of people because they think they are entitled to something based on what people who aren’t in power anymore did is, for lack of a better word, silly.

The women who demand that we allow them their own gyms aren’t interested in equality. They are interested in special treatment, and you can’t blame them because who isn’t? But the squeaky wheel gets the oil and the men of our age, in this culture are raised to believe that we somehow deserve this, just like we are raised to believe that we owe our aboriginals something, or that we owe black people something. Because of this, we are being walked over. This isn’t equality and to get back to my original point, equality is not recognizing that everyone is the same. Equality is allowing everyone equal opportunities. We (and by ‘we’ I do not mean men, I mean ‘we’ as individuals) need to stand up against this hypocrisy and not accept this treatment that those who label us say we should receive.

Contours??? :lmao:

We have Curves in the states.

I definitely agree that men should be able to work at curves or any other place that it available for women. I figure they would be professional enough to help without groping or starring. It's a stupid and paranoid rule. It does not help the "this is a safe place for women" image.

I do think that places like curves are legitimate though. First, a lot of women that go to these places are simply uncomfortable with working out with men. Why? Well, the starring. Running on the treadmill with your boobs bouncing around gets stares. It makes the ladies self-conscious.

Another thing is that some women are embarassed to go a regular gym because they are really overweight and feel they will be making a fool of themselves.

I know that at the gym I used to go to the men in the free weights section were all over the machines bullshitting and sitting around. The conversations are gross, the second a woman comes in, it gets a little quiet. It's uncomfortable.

I live a block away from Curves, and it's scary and the windows are covered.

The whole thing just goes to show how responding to discrimination with hate or rejection rather than understanding it, and being at peace about the fact that it existed for one reason or other, only strengthens and creates more hate

I often wonder, along the same lines, if arguing with people in religions just gives them more skills to hone, thus augmenting the religion by opposing it...

Asimov, your avatar...is the theta sideways or is it supposed to say Apheos? Just curious.

I live a block away from Curves, and it's scary and the windows are covered.

The whole thing just goes to show how responding to discrimination with hate or rejection rather than understanding it, and being at peace about the fact that it existed for one reason or other, only strengthens and creates more hate

I often wonder, along the same lines, if arguing with people in religions just gives them more skills to hone, thus augmenting the religion by opposing it...

Asimov, your avatar...is the theta sideways or is it supposed to say Apheos? Just curious.

Weird....I just downloaded a greek font and theta looked like that....

I checked it out and you're right...that is phi. Thanks for telling me, I'll change it asap.

See mom? My Classics degree is totally awesome!

Atheos, btw, with an omega, like you have it, is an adverb "Godlessly". Godless has an omicron.

Either way it's cool, just want you to mean what you mean, y'know.

How's this?

Good thing you didn't get the tattoo with it wrong.

I've seen men only gyms. I agree with Dianka.

Taph

How's this?

Good thing you didn't get the tattoo with it wrong.

I've seen men only gyms. I agree with Dianka.

Taph

Here it's illegal to have men's only gyms.

Well, a lot of men only gyms around here are in Boy's Town, and they are men gyms unofficially. We women and straight men just knowingly walk by.

Taph, the men's gym by you is really only for men? Not that I care, I have just never seen one.

Well, a lot of men only gyms around here are in Boy's Town, and they are men gyms unofficially. We women and straight men just knowingly walk by.

Taph, the men's gym by you is really only for men? Not that I care, I have just never seen one.

That's what it says on the sign. I don't remember what it's called, but it says "Men's Only Gym." It's next to the Chinese takeout down the street.

Guest zoolook

i think it's great there are female only gyms, there are a few out here too.

it woz mentioned before about how many women feel uncomfortable about their bodies, and the size of, or imagined, and going to a gym full of males.

it's very hard for some women to go to a mixed gym knowing they'll be perved at while exercizing. i think it's difficult enough for women just to go about everyday business, knowing that there are some men who view them in only one kind of way, and judge them by their appearance, also.

i've met heaps of females who have related to me how uncomfortable alot of men can make them feel, and going to a mixed gym for these women would make them feel even more vulnerable.

so yeah, i see nothing wrong with female gyms, and to be honest, i don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this, especially when you consider all the 'serious' problems there are in the world today.

i think it's great there are female only gyms, there are a few out here too.

it woz mentioned before about how many women feel uncomfortable about their bodies, and the size of, or imagined, and going to a gym full of males.

it's very hard for some women to go to a mixed gym knowing they'll be perved at while exercizing. i think it's difficult enough for women just to go about everyday business, knowing that there are some men who view them in only one kind of way, and judge them by their appearance, also.

i've met heaps of females who have related to me how uncomfortable alot of men can make them feel, and going to a mixed gym for these women would make them feel even more vulnerable.

so yeah, i see nothing wrong with female gyms, and to be honest, i don't understand why anyone would have a problem with this, especially when you consider all the 'serious' problems there are in the world today.

Boohoo, as if they wont be perved at in any other situation of their life if they're attractive, it's not like girls don't do it. God, some women can be so full of themselves that they think everyone is "checking them out". I have a problem with it because it is illegal for men to have men's only gyms where I am...don't you read what I fucking say? I can't get hired at womens only gyms either, because I'm a male.

Guest zoolook

LISTEN LITTLE BOY! DON'T SWEAR AT ME JUST BECOZ I POSTED MY OPINION AND YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH IT.

I'VE ONLY JUST JOINED THIS FORUM, AND THAT'S THE KIND OF CRAP THAT GETS THROWN AT ME. I SUPPOSE IT MAKES YOU FEEL RATHER BIG ACTING LIKE THAT FROM IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER?

ON THE OTHER FORUMS I BELONG TO, NO ONE INSULTS OTHER MEMBERS LIKE YOU DO, IT'S TIME TO GROW UP.

I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS FORUM. I HOPE YOU ARE THE ONLY WANKER ON IT, ACTUALLY I FEEL EMBARRASSED FOR YOU, HA HA! :lmao:

i can't wait to see what intelligent thing you're gonna say next

I used to go to a co-ed gym. (I've been lazy this year though, but should go back; especially since my employer will pay most of the fees!) I didn't mind it; in fact, I don't think I 'd like the women-only gyms around my town. There's Curves, which 1) is a Christian hang-out, which of course would be a big negative for me 2) according to a local newspaper article, they have a set work out you follow; everyone is arranged in a circle, facing inwards, and you exercise at your spot for so many minutes, then move to the next spot in the circle. When I go to the gym, I like to follow my own routine, not have one handed to me; plus I don't desire to stare into the faces of a bunch of strangers. There is another gym that alternates days between males and females. I still wouldn't like that, because it would limit my choice of days to exercise. I understand some women are uncomfortable working out around men, but hey, didn't we all survive high school gym class together? I hated school gym class, mind you, because I was the shy, overweight girl who couldn't even do a cartwheel and always slowed the team up during the races. And swim class was pure hell for someone like me. But now, as an adult (and I admit: still overweight, I told you I need to get back to the gym!), I don't care what people think. If a man (or woman for that matter) is looking at me thinking "whoa she's gotta lotta pounds to chug off", or "gee, she's bouncing all over on that bike", I just think back "screw you" and keep on truckin'.

Boohoo, as if they wont be perved at in any other situation of their life if they're attractive, it's not like girls don't do it. God, some women can be so full of themselves that they think everyone is "checking them out". I have a problem with it because it is illegal for men to have men's only gyms where I am...don't you read what I fucking say? I can't get hired at womens only gyms either, because I'm a male.

Asimov,

I don't know about contours, but the curves around my area doesn't have self-absorbed statuesque models. The women that go the one by my house are rather large. I think it might be a sort of sanctuary for these ladies.

But I will tell you this, you need to get it out of your mind that women walk around pissed off that men leer at their hot bodies at the gym. It's not self absorbtion, and I certainly don't see why a murder of scumbags would leer at me when there are girls at the gym that are 1000 times hotter. Go ahead, admire them. They are peacocks. The women who go to the gym with makeup on and wear $80 JLo tracksuits - they want you to peek. Me? I roll out of bed with my hair all fucked up and my eyes swollen. I can't be certain there isn't drool on my face, and I just generally carry myself in an unattractive manner the enitre time I go in. WHY are people looking at me when I am bent over on something, or am on a machine that requires me to open and close my legs? It makes me avoid doing certain exercizes when particular people are around. Now, I ultimately make the choice of whether or not I avoid it, but I can't help that I am uncomfortable with people looking at my crotch. I would be less uncomfortable if I saw some fucking respect from them. This isn't Sex and the City, not all women feel grateful for someone checking them out in an intrusive manner.

Now it does not make me uncomfortable enough to go to an all female gym. I just read a book or space out the entire time I am there. Also, I don't care if someone just looks, really, who cares. But there have been a few times when someone is just fuckin disgusting and completely disrespectful. It's an assumption, but I can imagine that you are not the type that can clearly see that the subject is uncomfortable with your glancing and continue doing it.

There are men only gyms everywhere in Ontario. What is this "illegal" shit you are spewing?

People look fucking ridiculous when they exercise unless they don't really need to exercise. Some women would prefer to look fucking ridiculous without an audience of the opposite sex. Big deal.

:Wendywhatever:

Curves definitely caters to larger women. A friend of mine wanted to join there, probably because she is self-conscious of her giant boobies or something, and they wouldn't let her join. 18% bodyfat takes you out of the running.

Personally, I think that a gym with every shape and size and both genders would be the easiest place for all. Seems to me that segregation furthers people's fears and self-concepts.

I had this little revelation while walking home from work, and I passed by three different gyms; Just Ladies, For Her, and Contours. Now, I’m not fully aware of the policies in regards to For Her and Contours but I do know that Just Ladies is a breeding ground for man-hating feminazis.

Actually, there is a new franchise for men only called Cuts and another one called The Blitz, I believe.

But I do hear you on the discrimination issue. Unfortunately, the when the pendulum has swung one way, it will swing back the other way before resting in the middle. I hope that doesn't lead to too much discrimination against men and causasians, but it might. Eventually things will simmer down and there will be equality for all.

I hate to pull a Socrates on you, but what pendulum can you point out that is now at rest, as a precedent? It would put my weary mind at great ease if there were such an example.

I believe the pendulum continues until each individual realizes it's not real, which would likely be well after we nuke ourselves anyway. I don't think Homo Sapiens has the staying power, because, as this thread shows, we always act out of impulse and fear.

Then again, I'm an asshole myself in a lot of ways, so it matters little.

It amazes me where these converstaions go on this board.

Contours-----------> annihilation of our species as the answer :HaHa:

Admittedly, there were a few steps in the middle.

<dispenses grains of salt to all present>

just enjoying being myself somewhere, please don't take it too literally.

It amazes me where these converstaions go on this board.

Contours-----------> annihilation of our species as the answer :HaHa:

Admittedly, there were a few steps in the middle.

that is f'n hilarious though!

There are men only gyms everywhere in Ontario. What is this "illegal" shit you are spewing?

People look fucking ridiculous when they exercise unless they don't really need to exercise. Some women would prefer to look fucking ridiculous without an audience of the opposite sex. Big deal.

:Wendywhatever:

That's not the problem, Cerise. And yes, in BC, men are not allowed to have men's only gyms.

I don't care if there are segregated gyms, I do care if I'm not allowed to work as a trainer in a professional atmosphere in one just because I'm a man. It has nothing to do with my abilities, because they aren't even aware of them, it just has to do with me being a guy.

Most of the people I train are women, so naturally working in a mostly woman atmosphere would be a financial gain.

Asimov,

I don't know about contours, but the curves around my area doesn't have self-absorbed statuesque models. The women that go the one by my house are rather large. I think it might be a sort of sanctuary for these ladies.

We have large women at our gym too...we also have large men. As far as I can tell, everyone else is too absorbed in worrying about what other people think that they don't really focus on other people.

Regular people in public places may or may not be professional, but I am a professional and it's like they're labelling me before they know me.

LISTEN LITTLE BOY! DON'T SWEAR AT ME JUST BECOZ I POSTED MY OPINION AND YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH IT.

I'VE ONLY JUST JOINED THIS FORUM, AND THAT'S THE KIND OF CRAP THAT GETS THROWN AT ME. I SUPPOSE IT MAKES YOU FEEL RATHER BIG ACTING LIKE THAT FROM IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER?

ON THE OTHER FORUMS I BELONG TO, NO ONE INSULTS OTHER MEMBERS LIKE YOU DO, IT'S TIME TO GROW UP.

I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS FORUM. I HOPE YOU ARE THE ONLY WANKER ON IT, ACTUALLY I FEEL EMBARRASSED FOR YOU, HA HA! :lmao:

i can't wait to see what intelligent thing you're gonna say next

Whoa there, Captain Spazzypants, get a tissue.

Intelligent thing? Since when do I say intelligent things? :scratch:

We have large women at our gym too...we also have large men. As far as I can tell, everyone else is too absorbed in worrying about what other people think that they don't really focus on other people.

Regular people in public places may or may not be professional, but I am a professional and it's like they're labelling me before they know me.

I do feel it's wrong for them to disqualify you for being a man in terms of employment. Is there a Dept. of Labor equivalent in Canada? I have to think there is one. That is unfair profiling. In the states we would see this as an opportunity to sue and make enough money to retire. :wicked:

<dispenses grains of salt to all present>

just enjoying being myself somewhere, please don't take it too literally.

Dude, I am all about flamboyant characterization. I think we will get along well. :HaHa:

I do feel it's wrong for them to disqualify you for being a man in terms of employment. Is there a Dept. of Labor equivalent in Canada? I have to think there is one. That is unfair profiling. In the states we would see this as an opportunity to sue and make enough money to retire. :wicked:

Hahaha, oh well. There are enough co-ed gyms around and people wanting a trainer that I can manage. It's just a rant, guys...

You know....when you wanna get things off your chest.