Goodbye Jesus

I've Come Home

CDFree

After a period away I've come home. I stupidly gave Christianity another try, biggest mistake of my life.

After a period away I've come home. I stupidly gave Christianity another try, biggest mistake of my life.

Welcome back CD! Tell us why you came to this conclusion again. What was the turning point for you this time? I'd be interested to know. Good to see you!! *hug*

I guess I thought I believed, and then I had a few major life issues a few months ago which cemented my doubts and when I approached Christians for help about these doubts, nothing. I won't lie, I begged and begged for help hoping to resolve these doubts, but no help was forthcoming the reverse in fact and my "faith" just crumbled away to nothing.

I dont' think we have direct control over what we believe.  We can look for defense mechanisms.  We can make assumptions.  But deep beliefs are something that happens to our mind.  It's what we are compelled to believe, not a choice.

Anyway welcome back!

• Like 2

Don't beat yourself up. It's hard to let go. And welcome home! smile.png

I dont' think we have direct control over what we believe.  We can look for defense mechanisms.  We can make assumptions.  But deep beliefs are something that happens to our mind.  It's what we are compelled to believe, not a choice.

Anyway welcome back!

Totally agree with this.  There was a long period where I was constantly "wrestling with my doubts" and it's because I wanted to believe but deep down I just didn't.  You can only fool yourself for so long. 

Welcome back CDFree!

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

CDFree, I wrestled with my faith and doubts for years before finally accepting what I knew to be truth and leaving religion for good.  I agree with the statement about not beating yourself up; you simply wanted to be absolutely certain about your doubts before walking away from the church.  We all walk the paths in front of us, and thankfully, many of those paths lead home.  Welcome home, again.  We shall now bring forth the fattened calf and slay it.

• Like 1

Welcome back!  Life's a process, isn't it???!!!

We all make mistakes, sometimes the same one two or three times! Doesn't matter. Yesterday is gone and today is now. Glad you are back CDFree.

My deconversion was not a "quitting cold turkey" process either. Don't be so hard on yourself. Giving up beliefs that were likely solidified during important developmental milestones are exceptionally difficult to change. Many will never seriously question their beliefs but you have.

What RogueScholar said! :)