Goodbye Jesus

God-Shaped Hole?

amateur

Xians always like to throw around the phrase "God-shaped hole in our hearts."   But what is this god-shaped hole?  I never understood that.  Xians say it like it is some physical thing that they understand, and I never did.  Is it just me?

I used to sit in church and hear stuff like "god-shaped hole" and wonder what it meant.  I used to wonder if anyone sitting around me actually understood it, or if they just pretended to, also.

Does it actually mean anything real?  Can someone explain it to me?

I think what they mean is when people seek fulfilment in their lives because of our natural urge to strive for something more, god is what that something is and once they get to know him they'll magically stop striving and their lives will be complete.

• Like 1

I think christians feel this hole because their lives are so severely restricted they actually long for something intangible  and then they are told it is god they are longing for.  It is just another example of the church creating a "disease" and then selling the cure for it.

It means there is supposedly an empty feeling in people--a feeling of purposelessness or worthlessness--that can only be filled by a personal relationship with biblegod. If you deny that you feel this way, they'll just tell themselves that either the feeling is unconscious, you're ignoring it, or lying about it.

• Like 1

Well, if a person ever discovers that there is a physical hole in their heart the shape of a bearded man's head, they better seek a doctor quickly, or better yet, get their ass to an ER immediately!

• Like 2

The god-shaped hole in my heart is the gaping wound from where all my christian "brothers and sisters" shot me in the back.

• Like 4

You know the hole is God-shaped because, just like God, this hole can't be detected by any means and can only be understood by assuming it is real.

• Like 4

Maybe they really mean God will leave a fist-shaped hole in your heart if you don't come to church every sunday! mad.gif

• Like 2

The god-shaped hole in my heart is the gaping wound from where all my christian "brothers and sisters" shot me in the back.

YES!!!

I wanted to give you a +1 but got a weird message that I already filled my quota for the day for giving positive points.

Not sure why I can only give three today and yesterday I gave a dozen or so. Some higher power knows best, I suppose.Wendywhatever.gif

Back on topic. Mymistake said:

You know the hole is God-shaped because, just like God, this hole can't be detected by any means and can only be understood by assuming it is real.

Again YES! +1.

I could never figure out why people were always going on about things like "higher purpose" or "meaning of life." To me, these things were always obvious--life was meant to be enjoyed, truth must be found, personal integrity must be practiced. I guess one might say that for me that's the "holy trinity" because once I got my life arranged to meet those goals I had the much-longed for and preached-about inner peace. My problem was the people standing in the way of actually getting the things I needed. They just wanted to talk about it as though it were some unattainable mystical thing.

• Like 2

There's a god-shaped hole in your +1 quota :(

Life is all about filling holes, the moment they're all plugged you're probably dead so I'm not sure seeing god as the final solution is that great really. silverpenny013Hmmm.gif 

Telling someone that they have a "god shaped hole in their hearts" is nothing but a means of manipulation to suck you in, and a self-serving scare tactic to keep you in.

Like RW, the only god shaped holes in my heart I can think of are the ones from the xtians I thought I could trust but instead stabbed me in the back and screwed me over. And those will heal with time.

• Like 1

There's a god-shaped hole in your +1 quota sad.png

Regular members only get 10 votes per 24 hours.  I'm constantly running out.

Great answers!  I always thought it was a strange phrase and I never felt like something was missing, likewise, as a xian and even when I was born again I didn't feel like something wasn't missing any more.  Upon becoming an atheist, I didn't feel any loss at all. 

Pastors always say the phrase sooooo serious, and everybody in the congregation looks soooooo serious when they say it!  I was always like, huh?

R.S. Martin, you got a +1 from me today!  Yes, the meaning of life is definitely to enjoy every day, truth seeking, and personal integrity practice!!!  Yes, yes, yes! 

• Super Moderator

I don't know about the heart, but I do know there was a god-shaped hole in my bank account for a while.

• Like 4

Here is a sad expression of what happens when people believe they have this hole:

I was going to add something humorous about "god shaped holes", but it's pretty perverted. This whole thread is hilarious.

Pawn:  I have to admit that I had to mentally edit my OP a few times to NOT include any naughty bits!  I was trying to be serious, and "god-shaped hole" DOES lend itself to some earthy images!

There's a god-shaped hole in your +1 quota sad.png

Regular members only get 10 votes per 24 hours.  I'm constantly running out.

Thanks. One would think regular members (as opposed to pranksters and trolls) could give as many positive points as they think their peers deserve. Surely we could use the positivity on a forum like this meant to support people who come here bruised and bleeding.

Great answers!  I always thought it was a strange phrase and I never felt like something was missing, likewise, as a xian and even when I was born again I didn't feel like something wasn't missing any more.  Upon becoming an atheist, I didn't feel any loss at all. 

Pastors always say the phrase sooooo serious, and everybody in the congregation looks soooooo serious when they say it!  I was always like, huh?

R.S. Martin, you got a +1 from me today!  Yes, the meaning of life is definitely to enjoy every day, truth seeking, and personal integrity practice!!!  Yes, yes, yes! 

Thanks! I'll just have to fill the forum with meaningless posts since I can't give folk a +1.

Pawn:  I have to admit that I had to mentally edit my OP a few times to NOT include any naughty bits!  I was trying to be serious, and "god-shaped hole" DOES lend itself to some earthy images!

Oh, hell with it, dirty humor is fun!  God-shaped holes, oh yeah!GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

My wife definitely has one.  I worship it like an idol, pray for it to comfort me, and baby people come out of it from time to time.  Definitely God-shaped.yellow.gif

• Super Moderator

Here is a sad expression of what happens when people believe they have this hole:

It is simply unbelievable that someone could write those lyrics and STILL NOT GET IT!  This song basically says, "The evidence all proves you're not here.  Even when I am in my darkest hour, I don't feel you.  Yet I WILL CLING TO MY DELUSION OF YOU."  It reminds me of a piece of art a friend of mine created years ago that featured a crucifix and the inscription "I will always love my false image of you."  Religion is just fucking insidious.

• Like 1

It is simply unbelievable that someone could write those lyrics and STILL NOT GET IT!  This song basically says, "The evidence all proves you're not here.  Even when I am in my darkest hour, I don't feel you.  Yet I WILL CLING TO MY DELUSION OF YOU."  It reminds me of a piece of art a friend of mine created years ago that featured a crucifix and the inscription "I will always love my false image of you."  Religion is just fucking insidious.

Christians do believe that very strongly, except they don't believe it's just a delusion. They think the "delusion" part is Satan making them doubt. People did their best to convince me that just because God seems not to be there, he still is there. That's where prayers like "Help my unbelief" come in, and "strengthen my faith." Life is so much easier now that I don't have to nurture this wavering faith though I admit that the brain can be programed to automatically assume someone is there. Especially in times of trouble and despair.

• Like 1

Xians always like to throw around the phrase "God-shaped hole in our hearts."   But what is this god-shaped hole?  I never understood that.  Xians say it like it is some physical thing that they understand, and I never did.  Is it just me?

I used to sit in church and hear stuff like "god-shaped hole" and wonder what it meant.  I used to wonder if anyone sitting around me actually understood it, or if they just pretended to, also.

Does it actually mean anything real?  Can someone explain it to me?

It means people get bored occasionally and can fill it with drugs, television or fundamentalism.

It means there is supposedly an empty feeling in people--a feeling of purposelessness or worthlessness--that can only be filled by a personal relationship with biblegod. If you deny that you feel this way, they'll just tell themselves that either the feeling is unconscious, you're ignoring it, or lying about it.

Tell everyone that Heroin is your god and you could use a few extra bucks if they can spare it! haha.

Just  another Christian expression telling us what we feel.  The fact is we naturally want distractions - art, TV, religion, sports, etc..