Goodbye Jesus

Panspermia

MQTA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Panspermia is the hypothesis that the seeds of life are prevalent throughout the universe, and furthermore that life on Earth began by such seeds landing on Earth and propagating themselves.

another site about it http://www.space.com/searchforlife/aliens_all_001027-1.html

Who knows? Might be true.

The whole abiogenesis thing is a bit vague where evidence is concerned. As it looks like today, it's definitely possible that life originated "purely on this world"... but if some of the basic building blocks instead kind of "rained down" from space, that would be hard to disprove for obvious reasons ;)

(Watch how some fundie will be sure to babble "See? The atheists admit that abiogenesis has no evidence!!!!!11!!!!", quoting my above words as "proof" :lmao: )

You got it :HaHa:

It's a reasonable guess, I suppose. Once we begin to explore Mars more closely, we'll be able to add evidence to this hypothesis.

The universe just splooged on the earth and bam, here we are? Possible, though the origins of life are not a huge concern for me. Still, it is very interesting, and more plausible than Biblegodzilla making us for his amusement.

"Barkeep! I'll have another Standing Cosmogasm on the Rocks!"

"HOLY FUCKIN' SHIT I THINK I SAW STARS!" "I DID, I DID SEE STARS!"

Thats how I heard it happened.. ")

kL

:lmao:

The universe just splooged on the earth and bam, here we are? Possible, though the origins of life are not a huge concern for me. Still, it is very interesting, and more plausible than Biblegodzilla making us for his amusement.

those comets in motion do look an awful lot like sperm, no? swimming along.. of course, just one, on a specific path.. but, hey, ya never know. Would mimic life here on earth, wouldn't it. or visy versey

"the hypothesis that....life on Earth began by such seeds landing on Earth and propagating themselves"

This has become a default position, especially among people (like Crick) who recognise the problems associated with spontaneous origins.

=================

"The whole abiogenesis thing is a bit vague where evidence is concerned"

Yeah, just a bit.

"As it looks like today, it's definitely possible that life originated "purely on this world"

"definitely" is not really a good word to use when no evidence is involved.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a viable theory. I think it would be interesting to see these proteins elsewhere, in various stages of development, see if anything happens or not. Would definately add a whole new level to the SETI research.

I think Egyptian mythology said the world began from the first god jerking off.

Reminds me of the movie Mission To Mars.

But it is an interesting idea to ponder nonetheless.

"the hypothesis that....life on Earth began by such seeds landing on Earth and propagating themselves"

This has become a default position, especially among people (like Crick) who recognise the problems associated with spontaneous origins.

Spontaneous origins? That theory got thrown out a long time ago...

Why do creationists insist on bringing it up again?

Yeah, just a bit.

"As it looks like today, it's definitely possible that life originated "purely on this world"

What, so you think it'd be better to say "it's possibly possible..."?

My old English teacher would have fits if she heard you saying that.

By the way, Tx... get your butt back into the dino thread and answer the points Neil brought up.

Unless you're chicken... :scratch:

I think that panspermia is a fantastic hypothesis that would be quite interesting were we to confirm it.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how that could be done, so I don't know whether it qualifies as a scientific hypothesis, strictly speaking.

Which doesn't really mean much, actually, since science is a very limited field of study.

Yep. Just another possibility... FFT

Although certainly an interesting speculation, I would say the jury has yet to even convene on this.

If we discover the seeds of life on Mars (or the moon, or elsewhere), I would say that could turn out to be the answer to the puzzle as to why we have not detected alien life forms - we simply haven't been looking the right way.

Wouldn't this theory require the existence of panovumnium for the panspermia to penetrate?

:Love:

The Earth condition prior to the panspermias arrival. When a sperm and egg meet, they get so excited, they change and grow.

Just remember, you'll always be daddy's little squirt :)

We could very well find life on Mars considering that the catastrophic impacts could have sent some pieces of life-bearing earth to mars, just as we find Martian rocks on Earth. I'm not sure if Panspermia would work very well across interstellar distances, it's quite some distances and the odds are bad.. but who knows, life may be widespread in the universe. We even detected some building blocks of dna in another star system.

• 1 year later...

The theory seems to derive from an unspoken assumpton that life is exceedingly difficult to create via evolution and that perhaps there was only one instance of life being created in this whole gigantonormous universe and that is where life everywhere came from.

Hmmm... a thousand years ago you could have said that about any number of inventions we have today. An explanation would go like this...

"The spontaneous invention of combustion engines is so improbable that surely it could not be happening on other planets on its own. Cars must have evolved from the dispersion of combustion engine blueprints through out the universe since the invention of the combustion engine is so complex."

Everything looks impossibly complex until it is figured out. That clap trap plays into the fundy's hilarious peanutbutter argument that life has not ever spontaneously been created in a jar of peanutbutter. How would anyone know? It is not likely that a self-created entity would survive against all the evolved ones around it.

Life is probably being created on its own all the time. Life can be found deep deep in rocks where it ought not be found. Life is everywhere.

The panspermia theory sounds like a "god didn't do it but something like god did it, cause how else did we get here?".

I think it is very possible that one planet can cross-pollinate another. Our genes may have originated from Mars. Evolution takes time and perhaps we skipped a few years with help from another planet. Its possible but the ultimate problem for the theory is that life had to originate somewhere.

Mongo

Guest Bellatrix

Panspermia is a fascinating concept, but I personally find current hypotheses such as RNA World to be more realistic and plausible. We will never be able to go back in time and observe the arisal of life processes, but we may in the future know enough about primordial conditions to simulate the formation of nucleic material and amino acid chains. If we can figure out how to make a ribozyme from scratch in the lab, we will be well on the way of deciphering the mystery of life's origins.

Then again, we may all be aliens. NASA takes great precautions to ensure the sterility of spacecraft before launch for a reason. Some bacterial spores can withstand the harsh vacuum of space for years.

Spontaneous origins? That theory got thrown out a long time ago...

Why do creationists insist on bringing it up again?

Yeah, just a bit.

What, so you think it'd be better to say "it's possibly possible..."?

My old English teacher would have fits if she heard you saying that.

By the way, Tx... get your butt back into the dino thread and answer the points Neil brought up.

Unless you're chicken... :scratch:

Which Dino thread are you refering too? I've searched high and low and found none.