Goodbye Jesus

Strange Visitor

odintim

Last night my wife and I were sitting down to dinner, when the doorbell rang. I figured it was my inlaws or a next-door neighbour, as we don't know many people on this island. I opened the door, and man in his 60s stood there politely asking if my name was Tim . . . I said yes, what might I help you with. He said he had a gift for me, and presented a Gideons New Testament, saying that it was for an email I sent them, and even showed me a printout of what it was I wrote.

The email said as follows, "Dear sirs, my wife and I life in Norway, and I am a Christian in dire need of a new bible. The bible I have is in tatters, and because of our finances I cannot afford a new bible. Is there anyone you know that could help me, or send me a new one?"

Now, first of all, I have 2 or 3 bibles, all of which are in ok condition, including different concordances and other material. I am now an atheist, so why would I send these people a request for a bible via email? I looked at the email address, and it had a username I commonly use, but the address was one I did not recognize. I know that Gideons don't lie about such things, so it was not fabricated by them, obviously, or else, how would they get my name? Are they just randomly searching people out of the phone book and passing out bibles now?

I have several friends and family members that do not openly oppose my deconversion, however, I know they secretly struggle with the idea. Perhaps one of they have fabricated this "scheme" in hopes of what, I do not know.

Anyone have any ideas to this mystery?

OT

Tim's a pretty common name, I bet it was just a mix-up.

He used my last name as well - I just wasn't going to post it here. :)

OT

I have several friends and family members that do not openly oppose my deconversion, however, I know they secretly struggle with the idea. Perhaps one of they have fabricated this "scheme" in hopes of what, I do not know.

OT

yeah, that would be my guess

OT

yeah, that would be my guess

---------------------------------

Sounds like you're being scammed and most likely from outside your family. (imo)

I know that Gideons don't lie about such things, so it was not fabricated by them, obviously, or else, how would they get my name? Are they just randomly searching people out of the phone book and passing out bibles now?

How do you know they don't lie about such things? I've seen christians go to some pretty amazing lengths when it came to fishing for converts. In fact, they seem to go along with the "ends justifying the means" mentality. They use methods than in a non-religious context, would be about as respected as telemarketers or pyramid schemes.

Even if a member of your family IS involved in this mild "intervention" these people are blithely and happily going along with the act because it's "for your own good".

If you accepted the bible.....these people will be back. So you'll have another opportunity to tell them to go away.

Sounds to me as if it is a cold-calling technique. They probably are checking randomly, or maybe someone gave them your name. I wouldn't give them a Bible. There are countless charities that give out donated Bibles. I'm sure if they really needed one that badly, they could search through the phonebook or go to a church and ask for one.

What about your friends? Is it a practical joke? After that, I'd assume it's family.

Pass it on to someone who really wants it.

If it is a username you commonly use, but an email address you did not create. Then someone who knows you created an email address with your username and sent the email to them. They may be hoping, that because you are in a new country and do not know alot of people, that you will be in a vulnerable place where "the lord can work in your life".

I agree Madame M.

I dunno, the Gideons always seemed like nice people to me. "Want a bible? No? Alright then, have a nice day." I'd put more money on the someone else, especially with the email - why would the gideons fake an email when you'd know you didn't write it just for an excuse to drop by your house?

Well, he did seem rather nervous when I assured him I didn't write the email. He really didn't push the matter further, and I politely told him thanks for his time, however, I am an atheist. I could see his skin turn a paler shade. I honestly don't think he had anything to do with this "scheme" and was as dumbfounded as I. Of course, Norwegians aren't like many American Christians or elsewhere - they simply do not push their religion on others. Funny, considering there is not separation of church and state here. That's another post for another time.

Giving it further thought, I know of one family member and one friend that could be responsible for this, and it's more likely the friend of the two. That's a big if. I'll let it go, whatever the case. There was no major interuption and no harm done, with the exception of hijacking my username. I'll just have to wait to see if something further happens. Then I'll start investigating.

OT

Is there anyone you know that is comfortable enough with you to do this as a practical joke?

JW's show up here with their Watchtower and AWAKE! shit....

I have several handouts of my own for htem. Mostly enlistment brochures for the various uS service Branches and occasionaly reprints of things like "The Armed American" and assorted Patriot/RKBA/Milita/Fuck Off Religious Creeps stuff..

(Brother Jerimiah's tracts will be on front door as soon as I get off ass and print some up!)

'Course most of the religious folken around here know now not to piss off the fatman with the rottenchildren and guns.. ;)

kL