Goodbye Jesus

Why I Embrace Death

TheRedneckProfessor

• Super Moderator

Life is not fair.

Death, however, treats everyone the same.

In death, there is neither rich nor poor; neither strong nor weak.  Death does not recognize the color of one's skin, nor the faith of one's heart.  Death cares not for knowledge, ability, or years experience.  Death merely treats each as equal; and carries each to the final resting place.

Two soldiers die upon a field of battle; death cares not for which side they fought, nor how just they believed their cause.  Death merely collects his due.

In death there is no sin, no judgement, and no repentance.  Death accepts all, irrespective of creed, ethnicity, or gender.  For death is not a respecter of persons.

Death sees clearly and reveals itself perfectly, unlike life which is full of confusion and contradiction.  Death is the perfection of imperfect life, the finality of infinity.

Death is the all-welcoming embrace of an eternal universe.  There is no more sorrow for the starving child in the streets than for the wealthy and well fed.  There is no difference between prince and pauper in death.  There is simply the chilling and warm hand of an old friend welcoming all into the quietness of oblivion.  

Whether by sword or by the ravages of old age, both the proud and the meek are brought low, humbled, as they gaze upon that far-distant shore, where we shall all meet, by and by.

• Like 7

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Indeed. I wish our society had a healthier view of death, and I also wish dying wasn't as painful as it often is.

One day we shall all be devoured by worms. Nom nom nom.

Beautifully written, RNP.

I agree, life is not fair.  Sometimes because of the unfairness of some people's lives (starving children, dreaded diseases, ravages of war and other human cruelties), death makes its call much earlier and more savagely than for others.  But, you are right, in the end we will all succumb to death no matter our status in life.

There is so much to accept in reality that is harsh. let alone your drowning in your on agonies as I am, it's so hard to accept I will die and all what I am what be totally obliterated. I do not want to hear that are atoms return or we live on through are kids, if we have any that is, or we live on through are work and are ideas, so on, this is not comforting to me. if someone say it is I think they are fooling themselves. Albert Einstein, a great mind that pretty much changed the world is dead and does not have a damn clue that he still looked at as some great person and still quoted from by many people. I've seen theists say he believed in god and atheists say he did not...does it even matter?

Why can't someone show me a spirit can exist and do so without saying it's the supernatural? get the most brilliant minds on earth together and they still could not prove it. either we to moronic to figure it out, we need more time, or the simple answer is there is no soul.

Most people assume their is a soul and never think there could not be one. 

As depressing as I sound at times, I commend people who cannot believe in a soul because there is no good reasons right now to believe one. there are counter reasons to not believe if you learn more about the brain. 

I think believing their is no soul is harder to accept then their is no god because death is one of the most certain things in existence. no creature on this planet will escape it's cruel grasp.

• Like 1

Life is not fair.

In death, there is neither rich nor poor; neither strong nor weak.  Death does not recognize the color of one's skin, nor the faith of one's heart.  Death cares not for knowledge, ability, or years experience.  Death merely treats each as equal; and carries each to the final resting place.

Two soldiers die upon a field of battle; death cares not for which side they fought, nor how just they believed their cause.  Death merely collects his due.

In death there is no sin, no judgement, and no repentance.  Death accepts all, irrespective of creed, ethnicity, or gender.  For death is not a respecter of persons.

Death sees clearly and reveals itself perfectly, unlike life which is full of confusion and contradiction.  Death is the perfection of imperfect life, the finality of infinity.

Death is the all-welcoming embrace of an eternal universe.  There is no more sorrow for the starving child in the streets than for the wealthy and well fed.  There is no difference between prince and pauper in death.  There is simply the chilling and warm hand of an old friend welcoming all into the quietness of oblivion.  

Whether by sword or by the ravages of old age, both the proud and the meek are brought low, humbled, as they gaze upon that far-distant shore, where we shall all meet, by and by.

I will say you make some good points. this is why people need to live life the best way they can even if I fail to do this vary thing myself.

• Super Moderator

Life is not fair.

I will say you make some good points. this is why people need to live life the best way they can even if I fail to do this vary thing myself.

Often when a medical crisis strikes, we speak about the "quality of life" the sufferer will have.  The thing about life, though, is that there is always quality to it, irrespective of circumstance.  All life has quality.  Even if we choose not to experience this quality or live up to the potential our lives have, the quality is still there, guaranteed by the certainty that death will someday visit each of us in the stillness of the hour.

• Like 1

I read in the paper this morning about an 8 year old boy who entered a trailer which was on fire and awoke 6 people who had been 

sleeping and lead them to safety. He then reentered the trailer to save 2 more people, but died in the attempt from the fire. When I read of these things happening I think of christians and their all loving, omnipotent god and it infuriates me. But it's not "god" whom I am really mad at. I am mad at christians who glorify such a god. And they give him credit when multiple kids are killed by a madman at school and one who survived praises god for saving him. And I was once a part of this religion? The kid is lucky one of my children was not killed in that school. I'm afraid I would go after him with a vengeance. Nevertheless I hope I wouldn't, because he would be just another victim, wouldn't he? It's frightening how anger can distort one's thinking.   bill

• Like 1

I embrace death too.  My parents have gone, my pets have gone, and I'll be happy to leave this chaotic and brutal world behind.  However my big fear of death, other than the actual dying ordeal, is that the Christianity stuff might be true, and I might be given to Yahweh/Jesus and to their heaven.  I have nightmares and panic attacks about this.  I know here on this website we joke sometimes about spending an eternity with the apostle Paul, or with Abraham, or with Yawheh.  But when I really consider it I get panic attacks and depression.  I tell myself that when I die I will go to the place where the horses are and where blue waters are.  And that makes me happy.  But then a-mum will tell me that when I die I will go to be part of Yahwehs kingdome forever.  When she starts telling me these things it makes me afraid of dying. 

• Like 1

It has been helpful to me to realize that death is not some cosmic struggle between God and Satan. Death is as natural as birth - it is a part of the cycle of life.

• Like 3

There is so much to accept in reality that is harsh. let alone your drowning in your on agonies as I am, it's so hard to accept I will die and all what I am what be totally obliterated. I do not want to hear that are atoms return or we live on through are kids, if we have any that is, or we live on through are work and are ideas, so on, this is not comforting to me. if someone say it is I think they are fooling themselves. Albert Einstein, a great mind that pretty much changed the world is dead and does not have a damn clue that he still looked at as some great person and still quoted from by many people. I've seen theists say he believed in god and atheists say he did not...does it even matter?

Why can't someone show me a spirit can exist and do so without saying it's the supernatural? get the most brilliant minds on earth together and they still could not prove it. either we to moronic to figure it out, we need more time, or the simple answer is there is no soul.

As depressing as I sound at times, I commend people who cannot believe in a soul because there is no good reasons right now to believe one. there are counter reasons to not believe if you learn more about the brain. 

I think believing their is no soul is harder to accept then their is no god because death is one of the most certain things in existence. no creature on this planet will escape it's cruel grasp.

Boy-oh-Boy, can I ever relate to this NF. Yesterday, I had chest pains and it frightened me enough to bring on a full blown panic attack that took me all day to recover from.Turns out, it must have been a pulled muscle or gas cause it went away and hasn't returned. But for a few minutes, I was hanging on for my life in those moments with a fear that almost paralyzed me.

I know once I'm gone, my whole self is gone and I can't yet accept this feeling. I won't even know I existed and that pisses me off so bad. They are now building a new beautiful park in our city that should be totally finished by 2030. I suspect because of my age that I won't get to see that. That pisses me off. Even though they say that you weren't here for millions of years (and you didn't know any better) it does not bring me comfort. I hate death. I despise it.

I am hoping soon to accept that 'this is it'. I've just accepted that there probably isn't an afterlife. That was hard to accept in the last year or two because that was the only comfort I had about death and now that's gone.

There...I've just added more depression to this topic that I think SHOULD be discussed. We should have been taught about death and how 'natural' it is right from birth. Maybe, we wouldn't be so scared.

Thanks Redneck. I appreciate this today. I'm going to try and do something fun today......*hugs* to each and every one of you.....we're all in this together.... Go have some fun......

• Like 1

That is simply your ego talking.  The ego is a very strong part of the brain, it is responsible for your feeling of "self".

I think of the soul (or "me" if you will) like I think of the internet:

Does the internet exist?  Is it real?  Of course.  Im using it right now to communicate my thoughts to everyone here.  But where does it exist?  Can you point to a single server (or country even) and say "There.  That is where the internet is"?  No.  That's because the internet is the result of every computer in the world becoming interconnected to form the web.  It exists everywhere.

I think the "soul" is identical in that what I consider "me" does not exist in one specific part of my brain, and altering any part of it will alter who I am.  My "soul" is the result of billions of neurons communicating with each other and sharing information.  If the electricity is cut off from my brain, my "soul" will evaporate into nothingness just like the internet will disappear if we suddenly lose our ability to generate electricity worldwide.  My "soul" is my brains own personal intranet that is the result of all the trillions of calculations it does every second.

If a soul was truly outside of ourselves and eternal, shoving an iron rod through my prefrontal cortex should not do anything to alter my personality or temperament, but it does drastically alter who "I" am.  This shows that the "soul" is created by the brain, and can not exist outside of ourselves.  The ego wants us to think we are special and live forever, but it is an illusion.

I don't feel this is a bad thing.  Im not scared of nothingness and many times I envy those who have already passed.  To paraphrase Twain, "I was dead for eons before I was born and I don't recall being inconvenienced at all"...

I find the thought of an eternal soul much more frightening than death.  Im actually quite glad I will cease to exist one day.

Boy-oh-Boy, can I ever relate to this NF. Yesterday, I had chest pains and it frightened me enough to bring on a full blown panic attack that took me all day to recover from.Turns out, it must have been a pulled muscle or gas cause it went away and hasn't returned. But for a few minutes, I was hanging on for my life in those moments with a fear that almost paralyzed me.

I know once I'm gone, my whole self is gone and I can't yet accept this feeling. I won't even know I existed and that pisses me off so bad. They are now building a new beautiful park in our city that should be totally finished by 2030. I suspect because of my age that I won't get to see that. That pisses me off. Even though they say that you weren't here for millions of years (and you didn't know any better) it does not bring me comfort. I hate death. I despise it.

I am hoping soon to accept that 'this is it'. I've just accepted that there probably isn't an afterlife. That was hard to accept in the last year or two because that was the only comfort I had about death and now that's gone.

There...I've just added more depression to this topic that I think SHOULD be discussed. We should have been taught about death and how 'natural' it is right from birth. Maybe, we wouldn't be so scared.

Thanks Redneck. I appreciate this today. I'm going to try and do something fun today......*hugs* to each and every one of you.....we're all in this together.... Go have some fun......

You can still hope there is more....there is nothing wrong with that.

Peace.

That is simply your ego talking.  The ego is a very strong part of the brain, it is responsible for your feeling of "self".

Does the internet exist?  Is it real?  Of course.  Im using it right now to communicate my thoughts to everyone here.  But where does it exist?  Can you point to a single server (or country even) and say "There.  That is where the internet is"?  No.  That's because the internet is the result of every computer in the world becoming interconnected to form the web.  It exists everywhere.

I think the "soul" is identical in that what I consider "me" does not exist in one specific part of my brain, and altering any part of it will alter who I am.  My "soul" is the result of billions of neurons communicating with each other and sharing information.  If the electricity is cut off from my brain, my "soul" will evaporate into nothingness just like the internet will disappear if we suddenly lose our ability to generate electricity worldwide.  My "soul" is my brains own personal intranet that is the result of all the trillions of calculations it does every second.

If a soul was truly outside of ourselves and eternal, shoving an iron rod through my prefrontal cortex should not do anything to alter my personality or temperament, but it does drastically alter who "I" am.  This shows that the "soul" is created by the brain, and can not exist outside of ourselves.  The ego wants us to think we are special and live forever, but it is an illusion.

I don't feel this is a bad thing.  Im not scared of nothingness and many times I envy those who have already passed.  To paraphrase Twain, "I was dead for eons before I was born and I don't recall being inconvenienced at all"...

I find the thought of an eternal soul much more frightening than death.  Im actually quite glad I will cease to exist one day.

Interesting points.

Let us be honest, most humans want more then this life. life is far to stressful and hard, and the world is too consumed by money and buying many material things you do not need. nation is against nation a lot of the times, so on. instead I wish there was harmony between the nations, not some new world order like the conspiracy people say. we need a change in this world. I may have some issue and my IQ kinda sucks, I truly believe that, but I believe this world needs a change and it better happen before I die.

Take Care.

Imo the mind is insubstantial. It is not material. It is not held or bound by physical/material boundaries - after death it will simply reappear elsewhere.

Life doesn't have to be fair, but it is people who make it that way with their greed and ego and stupid pecking orders. Bring on death I say, has to be better than this idiocy.

• Like 1

Imo the mind is insubstantial. It is not material. It is not held or bound by physical/material boundaries - after death it will simply reappear elsewhere.

What you say is interesting, but it's not the right time to say it's true. if such a thing exists it's just another phenomenon that is natural, but whether we can explain it or not with are current minds is another thing....just pure speculation on my part. 

When I see animals die, I see the same effect as when I see humans die. their bodies rot and they remain stiff, and like something lift the body. 

I remember when I sprayed a large spider with some spray stuff. I saw the spider starting to struggle to live and then just died. it just laid on it's back with it's legs up as if the life force was no longer there. so why would just humans have souls? the only real difference is are higher brain function. sometimes human arrogance is astounding.

Perhaps there is a endless cycle of reincarnation, who knows in the end. in the end no would can show me it is true right now, but we may discover the soul is real one day...a pipe dream of mine to see it before I die.

I've seen some atheists claim to be skeptical to be almost a puedo-skeptic. anything that goes against mainstream ideas is not even looked at or is barely looked at as like we humans can comprehend and know everything in existence.

Peace.

NoFaithx7: Its true enough for me, so you can't tell me its not the right time for me. Of course I don't insist everyone else believe it. The proof is not to the level of scientific method type proof. There isn't a repeatable type of experiment for this.

If there is a dead body and the mind is material, why doesn't it still work? That may sound like a stupid question, but the mind is simply not material. It is really not locatable, although it seems for the most part it does seem to take a focus in my head, except when I am dreaming.

I never said the word "soul", I said "mind". Also, I am sure animals have minds as well.

This thread is probably not the place to argue this point, but if you want to open another thread on the subject I would be happy to address more points as long as things stay polite.

NoFaithx7: Its true enough for me, so you can't tell me its not the right time for me. Of course I don't insist everyone else believe it. The proof is not to the level of scientific method type proof. There isn't a repeatable type of experiment for this.

If there is a dead body and the mind is material, why doesn't it still work? That may sound like a stupid question, but the mind is simply not material. It is really not locatable, although it seems for the most part it does seem to take a focus in my head, except when I am dreaming.

I never said the word "soul", I said "mind". Also, I am sure animals have minds as well.

This thread is probably not the place to argue this point, but if you want to open another thread on the subject I would be happy to address more points as long as things stay polite.

What do you think happens when we die? do we go to some other existence or maybe reincarnation....just wondering. if you want to debate you could go to the JREF Forum for a challenge. they are tough and some of them are not easy, most of them are smart. I rather you be right anyways. 

Either we die when are brains are truly dead or we live on somehow whether through reincarnation or some other existence. it's not easy to accept we get one chance. it changes your whole world knowing you probably get one existence.

Peace.

What do you think of Deva post above to me. do you think it's possible?

All we know for sure is this life.

If there is something more, if I live beyond this life, if yada yada yada, then I hope my soul/mind/brain/spirit is able to navigate itself towards wherever it is supposed to go. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, as it were.

Frankly, if the energy that powers my brain gets refreshed after I die, well, I could use the refresh.

Until then, let's don't be so earthly minded that we are no heavenly good, and let's don't be so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good.

Philosophy and speculation is fun, but as the OP says, death is the great equalizer.  I wouldn't choose death over life, however, because to be alive and unequal still seems better to me then being dead and equal.  

Here in Northern Indiana, facing another week of below zero temperatures is making me look forward to being cremated.

What do you think happens when we die? do we go to some other existence or maybe reincarnation....just wondering. if you want to debate you could go to the JREF Forum for a challenge. they are tough and some of them are not easy, most of them are smart. I rather you be right anyways. 

Either we die when are brains are truly dead or we live on somehow whether through reincarnation or some other existence. it's not easy to accept we get one chance. it changes your whole world knowing you probably  get one existence.

Peace.

No, I really don't want a debate. It is probably just part of my nature that when I see a lot of people agreeing to one view, I must interject my own opinion! I suppose that is a weakness on my part.

I don't actually think anyone really knows what happens after death, but I personally believe is something like reincarnation.

I

Either we die when are brains are truly dead or we live on somehow whether through reincarnation or some other existence. it's not easy to accept we get one chance. it changes your whole world knowing you probably  get one existence.

Peace.

No, I really don't want a debate. It is probably just part of my nature that when I see a lot of people agreeing to one view, I must interject my own opinion! I suppose that is a weakness on my part.

I don't actually think anyone really knows what happens after death, but I personally believe is something like reincarnation.

It least you do not burn in hell forever for not believing. reincarnation sounds far more possible then a perfect place without any kind of pain....it sounds like something you get from a disney movie. perhaps there is an endless cycle of life and death, thus we never truly die.....who knows. there is nothing wrong in hoping like I do.

Peace.

What a lovely way to put it. To me, death has never really been a thing of fear. I like the idea of after a long, hard but worth-it life, lying down for some eternal sleep.