Goodbye Jesus

Shattered Faith Syndrome

Aggie

First time starting a thread here, folks.  I have really enjoyed reading all the discussions on here.  Great to know I'm not alone...

I was reading through a psychology of religion text recently which discussed some ideas by a guy named Richard Yao.  They brought to mind a lot of the thoughts and emotions I've seen on the Ex-C site:

"Yao (1987) delineates a complex of symptoms he calls the ‘shattered faith syndrome’: chronic guilt, anxiety, and depression; low self-esteem; loneliness and isolation; distrust of other people or groups; aversion to any structure of authority; bitterness and anger over lost time; distressing recurrences of fundamentalist consciousness; lack of basic social skills; and, in some instances, sexual difficulties, including guilt and anxiety about sex if not actual sexual dysfunction.  Typically unable to talk about their past, former fundamentalists are encouraged to share their experiences, outside the FA group as well as within it.” (Wulff, p.604).

I had heard of Marlene Winell's "Religious Trauma Syndrome"-- but not this.  Anyone ever heard of him or the group "Fundamentalists Anonymous" that he founded?  Anyone been a part of an FA group?

• Super Moderator

I have read similar studies on a psychological condition which, if memory serves, was called Post Prolonged Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Like PTSD, sufferers underwent some type of trauma that scarred them mentally, but the trauma happened over a prolonged period of time; it wasn't just a once-off event.  It has been shown that victims of childhood indoctrination in fanatical religious environments often present the same psychological and social symptoms as victims of child abuse and molestation.

• Like 3

• Super Moderator

For clarity, I should add to the above post that the studies concerning PPTSD involved both children of abuse and children of church.

I have Complex PTSD, and I have had it all my life. It was made much worse by churches not understanding what was wrong with me and blaming my distress on my own lack of faith. I was in a cult for nine years which eventually expelled me, and another church that asked me to leave. I have lost all my "friends" twice, then my faith. The effect on me has been devastating in terms of my disgust of authority figures and my inability to trust people. I still have nightmares about being shamed in front of the church. I will never be able to be part of an organisation again. I can barely tolerate it for work purposes.

• Like 1

I haven't heard of fundamentalist anonymous but I have been to a "recovering from Religion' meet-up group. Being around others IRL who have had similar experiences in religion, and coming out of it, was incredibly helpful. I found the group at meet-up.com online, searching for groups in my city. A couple of months ago I had to go to my nieces first communion at a local catholic church. During the service I became increasingly anxious and by the time it ended I had a full-blown panic attack and had to run to my car to regroup before the party after. I went to a "Sunday Assembly', church for non-believers, a month ago and hated it as it also made me anxious as the structure of the service was too similar to church. It was a pity as it could be a good way to meet and connect with like-minded people.

"Yao (1987) delineates a complex of symptoms he calls the ‘shattered faith syndrome’: chronic guilt, anxiety, and depression; low self-esteem; loneliness and isolation; distrust of other people or groups; aversion to any structure of authority; bitterness and anger over lost time; distressing recurrences of fundamentalist consciousness; lack of basic social skills; and, in some instances, sexual difficulties, including guilt and anxiety about sex if not actual sexual dysfunction.  Typically unable to talk about their past, former fundamentalists are encouraged to share their experiences, outside the FA group as well as within it.” (Wulff, p.604).

I can relate to all of the above. With time some of the symptoms are easing but put me in a situation where I am exposed to religion or similar triggers and the symptoms all come flooding back. I have to be careful to avoid triggers where possible. This is no life to live and so many are suffering similar consequences.  Public awareness of this issue needs to be raised so there is more support for those of us coming out of the hell hole of religion. At present few therapists even recognize the severe damage that can be done so it is difficult to find the right professional support to help with recovery. I definitely have PTSD from my time as a christian (amongst other things) and wish I could take legal recourse against the people who traumatized me with their 'ministry'. Unfortunately the church is immune to prosecution when it comes to providing 'counselling' without a licence or proper training, and preventing people from going to professional help. It really angers me how many people are being harmed, and silenced. 

• Like 1

I think all the de-conversion stories posted here confirm that shattered faith syndrome is real. I think pretty much every Christian fundamentalist going through the de-conversion process can attest to its validity too.

• Like 1

I can relate. Even though I know there are sincere christian out there that are harmless I am unable to trust anyone who has 'faith' (judeo-christian, anyway) and my reaction to any authority figure is a bit excessive.

I trust almost no one and it takes a LONG the to earn my trust. It's also VERY easy to lose my trust - I am almost unable to give second chances. It's a form of PTSD, I'm hyper vigilant to a fault when it comes to emotional safety.

It takes a bit of effort to keep from being so cynical that it is uncomfortable. I turn to humour as my medicine, because when I can laugh with others I find that place that reminds me that we aren't all that different after all, and I am not alone in a hostile world.

• Like 2

First time starting a thread here, folks.  I have really enjoyed reading all the discussions on here.  Great to know I'm not alone...

I was reading through a psychology of religion text recently which discussed some ideas by a guy named Richard Yao.  They brought to mind a lot of the thoughts and emotions I've seen on the Ex-C site:

I had heard of Marlene Winell's "Religious Trauma Syndrome"-- but not this.  Anyone ever heard of him or the group "Fundamentalists Anonymous" that he founded?  Anyone been a part of an FA group?

This is so true, and to me it sounds a lot like Religious Trauma Syndrome as well. 

I actually do have other trauma from the past from being emotionally abused, neglect, etc. but RTS/SFS is the icing on the cake. Yes to literally every single one of these but lack of social skills and unable to talk about past. I especially get the "distressing recurrences of fundamentalist consciousness". Ugh. Well, I'm currently in therapy (with a Christian secular therapist *ka-chick*) and so I'll be working through all the damage of my past, and perhaps I'll be able to glean something that can be applied to all of us here at ex-christian as well. 

Never been part of or heard of "Fundamentalists Anonymous"; sounds good, though. And yes, you're certainly not alone. My mom will be forcing me to go to our YEC, Southern Baptist youth group tonight. smileydies.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for all the comments!

What you guys wrote made me look back in the text-- and find this add-on:

"Noting the similarity between the symptoms described by Yao and the distress syndrome that accompanies other major life transitions and crises, psychologist Gary Hartz (1987) observes that the heart of crisis intervention is empathic support, which is precisely what Fundamentalists Anonymous offers.” 

"Empathic support" is exactly what Ex-C folks seem to be especially good at IMO...

I haven't heard of fundamentalist anonymous but I have been to a "recovering from Religion' meet-up group. Being around others IRL who have had similar experiences in religion, and coming out of it, was incredibly helpful. I found the group at meet-up.com online, searching for groups in my city. A couple of months ago I had to go to my nieces first communion at a local catholic church. During the service I became increasingly anxious and by the time it ended I had a full-blown panic attack and had to run to my car to regroup before the party after. I went to a "Sunday Assembly', church for non-believers, a month ago and hated it as it also made me anxious as the structure of the service was too similar to church. It was a pity as it could be a good way to meet and connect with like-minded people.

I can relate to all of the above. With time some of the symptoms are easing but put me in a situation where I am exposed to religion or similar triggers and the symptoms all come flooding back. I have to be careful to avoid triggers where possible. This is no life to live and so many are suffering similar consequences.  Public awareness of this issue needs to be raised so there is more support for those of us coming out of the hell hole of religion. At present few therapists even recognize the severe damage that can be done so it is difficult to find the right professional support to help with recovery. I definitely have PTSD from my time as a christian (amongst other things) and wish I could take legal recourse against the people who traumatized me with their 'ministry'. Unfortunately the church is immune to prosecution when it comes to providing 'counselling' without a licence or proper training, and preventing people from going to professional help. It really angers me how many people are being harmed, and silenced. 

Wish there was a Recovery from Religion group near me...  I looked into that several months ago...

I can definitely relate to the shattered faith syndrome...we all seem to have variations of it.  But...I am getting stronger all the time!

"chronic guilt, anxiety, and depression; low self-esteem; loneliness and isolation"

Hmmm. Those are the symptoms I had when I wa a Christian.

Shattered faith, sounds about right.