Goodbye Jesus

Each One Of Us Has A Little Bit Of Star Dust In Us

raoul

Balanced by an equal amount of bulldust :)

A more beautiful origin than any creation myth.  All the elements in us, save for hydrogen, are the result of stellar fusion.  The iron in our blood that makes it red was produced in supernova.  We are the universe exploring itself.  Does that, on some level, make the universe self aware?

• Like 2

A more beautiful origin than any creation myth.  All the elements in us, save for hydrogen, are the result of stellar fusion.  The iron in our blood that makes it red was produced in supernova.  We are the universe exploring itself.  Does that, on some level, make the universe self aware?

Yep, also self contained and perhaps always here in some form or another even microscopic, prior to the big bang.
  • Like 2

I like to carry the beauty of this further.  Eventually I will die.  A few billion years from now, when the sun starts to die, it will expand into a red giant which will likely engulf and completely destroy the earth.  At that point, every atom that once was part of my body will be part of the sun.  When the sun has completely exhausted its fuel, it won't supernova, it isn't big enough.  It will collapse into a neutron star, most of its mass, therefore statistically most of me, will be part of this neutron star until the end of the universe, but a small part will be ejected into space.  Some of this gas and dust may find its way to new star and form itself into a new planet.  After this happens, a miniscule number of atoms that were formerly me may just be some of the first new life on this planet, starting the entire evolutionary process again.

They say that truth is stranger than fiction.  I think that science is far more beautiful than religion.

• Like 2

I like to carry the beauty of this further.  Eventually I will die.  A few billion years from now, when the sun starts to die, it will expand into a red giant which will likely engulf and completely destroy the earth.  At that point, every atom that once was part of my body will be part of the sun.  When the sun has completely exhausted its fuel, it won't supernova, it isn't big enough.  It will collapse into a neutron star, most of its mass, therefore statistically most of me, will be part of this neutron star until the end of the universe, but a small part will be ejected into space.  Some of this gas and dust may find its way to new star and form itself into a new planet.  After this happens, a miniscule number of atoms that were formerly me may just be some of the first new life on this planet, starting the entire evolutionary process again.

They say that truth is stranger than fiction.  I think that science is far more beautiful than religion.

Not only is science more beautiful but as both of you show, it's actually MORE spiritual in a way! Thanks for commenting.

I think it's interesting how the universe recycling it's own properties vaguely parallels the mythic concept of reincarnation. Now of course the mythic concept goes well beyond the reality of a recycling universe, but the core idea is there.

I've always felt that being stardust is so much more beautiful than being created in the image of some sadistic God.

A couple of weeks ago I was outside and there were no clouds, moon, or night. I saw all the twinkling stars high up above, and the first thought that came to my head was not "Wow, God is great" but "I'm made of stardust! That is me!" It was infinitely happier, and it was also deeply moving for me. 

I've never felt quite as connected to the universe than as an atheist. 

When you take away the "goddidit" its like lifting a veil, and you can see things as the really are.......

I've always felt that being stardust is so much more beautiful than being created in the image of some sadistic God.

A couple of weeks ago I was outside and there were no clouds, moon, or night. I saw all the twinkling stars high up above, and the first thought that came to my head was not "Wow, God is great" but "I'm made of stardust! That is me!" It was infinitely happier, and it was also deeply moving for me. 

I've never felt quite as connected to the universe than as an atheist.

I'd shout an amen to that if you're not offended. I'm in awe of it as well. Their god deserves nothing more than to be flushed out of existence in their fantasies.

A few seconds after the Big Bang, "light is born". Who is the baby daddy?