Goodbye Jesus

Spare The Rod And Spoil The Child

Margee

I haven’t read through all of the responses here but I wanted to throw in my two cents. For most of the nominal and non-xtians who think that corporal punishment is harmless are not familiar with the xtian fundamentalist method of corporal punishment. It is brutal, unforgiving, unloving, and psychologically (and physically) abusive.

Those who interpret corporal punishment as a few swats on a clothed butt as a last resort should know that this isn’t the xtian concept of corporal punishment at all. Read a few of the wildly popular xtian parenting books for sale to the sheep and you’ll find that the xtians are all about pain, domination, and humiliation. It’s hell growing up in a fundie house.

You hear a lot of people saying that they were hit as children and turned out fine, but there are many of us who did not turn out fine. Either way, this is anecdotal evidence. There are genuine research studies showing that corporal punishment is harmful. It can lead to mental disorders, substance abuse, and depression in adulthood. The American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend it. It has been banned in over 33 countries. There are methods of discipline that are better and won’t cause lasting harm into adulthood for the kid. Xtianity is fucked up because xtians truly believe a god and his zombie commanded this.

Mud

You hear a lot of people saying that they were hit as children and turned out fine, but there are many of us who did not turn out fine.

Oh many of these did turn out fine. As fine little drones without a genuine personality. As obedient slave to the system that will one day continue the system by doing the same to his/her kids. vent.gif

(I'm confident this is not true in the more "moderate" cases, there'll be quite a few others there - but with enough dosage of "crush their wills"...)

• Like 1

I spanked my kids until I realized I was doing what my dad did and all it did was make me fear him, not respect him or inhibit me from repeating whatever I did to get spanked in the first place. I just became better at hiding it. That was 25 years ago and I still remember exactly what I was doing when I had that epiphany.

What affected me more than anything as far as discipline was the feeling that I had disappointed my parents. Oddly, those instances were not accompanied by spankings.

Anyway, I look at it like you wouldn't hit your spouse, why would you hit your child?

• Like 1

I was spanked a lot as  kid too. Thing Is- I think I was decent BEFORE I was spanked. It teaches your kid nothing positive- it only serves as a release for the parent who does it. I raised my son with no physical punishment and today he is a fine loving person with healthy attitudes. You do not have to spank your kids. Most people who do, know they don't. They enjoy it on some dark level.

• Like 1

I was spanked a lot as  kid too. Thing Is- I think I was decent BEFORE I was spanked. It teaches your kid nothing positive- it only serves as a release for the parent who does it. I raised my son with no physical punishment and today he is a fine loving person with healthy attitudes. You do not have to spank your kids. Most people who do, know they don't. They enjoy it on some dark level.

Same here.  When I go back through all my photos from growing up, I always have this huge smile plastered on my face up until the age of 7 or 8, when my parents suddenly got all corporal-punishmental.

I have never been able to understand just how the hell you can do that to your own child? The connections in my mind are just not there to enable me to inflict pain on someone dependent on me.

Anyway, I look at it like you wouldn't hit your spouse, why would you hit your child?

Some do advocate spanking your spouse (well, spanking wives, of course). They also say that infants should be spanked for crying. That's pretty good evidence for how fucked up some fundies are.

I have two kids and I cannot imagine hitting them. I usually like to follow the evidence, but in this case I'm glad the evidence supports my feelings, because even if it didn't I wouldn't spank my kids.

I just got into an argument with someone on facebook regarding this.  I am absolutely against physically harming a child as a form of punishment.  Apparently, spanking isn't considered physical harm, so I asked the question, where do you draw the line?

What makes spanking okay, and smacking them in the face not okay?  Where is the line crossed for it to become child abuse?

There are times when swift immediate action is required to prevent a dangerous situation, and a swat on the butt (or anywhere for that matter) is necessary.

Spanking as a form of threatening physical punishment never seems appropriate, but that's me.  I couldn't even imagine striking my daughter for not picking up her toys or something.