Goodbye Jesus

What Is This World Coming To? We Are Going Backwards....

Margee

Read...if you can without throwing up......

Ouote: Uganda's president has signed a controversial anti-gay bill that allows harsh penalties for "homosexual offences", calling them "mercenaries" and "prostitutes".

Yoweri Museveni on Monday signed the bill, which holds that homosexuals be jailed for long terms, outlaws the promotion of homosexuality and requires people to denounce gays.

In an interview with Al Jazeera, Uganda's minister for ethics and integrity, Simon Lokodo, said that homosexuality was "contrary to the order of nature and therefore it is illegal".

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/02/ugandan-president-sign-anti-gay-bill-20142245119120579.html

Sadly it's old news... has been on the forums here before. And I seem to recall that the US jebus taliban pushed this agenda in Uganda quite a bit. "Missionary work" I guess.

Doesn't make it any better of course. :Hmm:

Sadly it's old news... has been on the forums here before. And I seem to recall that the US jebus taliban pushed this agenda in Uganda quite a bit. "Missionary work" I guess.

Doesn't make it any better of course. KatieHmm.gif

I'm sorry, I must have missed that thread altogether or was so busy deconverting that I didn't notice that this was on the board.

I'm just beyond myself to think that in this day and this age, they would make homosexuality 'Illegal??? Years of imprisonment because of this natural state for some people?? I do bang my head up against the wall........

Some states in the US would do this too - if they could get away with it.  In fact there are probably still old laws like this in the south, that are not enforced.

I don't think the world as a whole is going backwards, though surely there are areas like Uganda which do seem to.  Here is the evidence I offer of much of the world going forward with gay marriage which I think is a good indicator of major positive changes towards gays.

The United States.

http://gaymarriage.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=004857

17 U.S. States now recognize gay marriage. While it is true that 33 U.S. States have banned it, the U,S. trend is toward gay marriage.

Canada

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_Canada

According to this wikipedia article, Canada recognizes gay marriage throughout the country.

A worldwide perspective:

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/12/19/gay-marriage-around-the-world-2013/

Viewed from a worldwide perspective, it seems that we are moving forward.  Of course, there are many holdouts on gay marriage, but the trend seems to be in favor of gay marriage.

There have been definite trends for acceptance in some countries.  But it is tragic what still happens in some countries, and what some individuals still believe and pass on to their children.

• Like 1

The world bank has just announced sanctions against Uganda directly because of this law, as well as cancelling development projects, so they are going to be under enormous financial pressure to repeal it I think.

A bank does something good.

• Like 5

That bill had been tossed about in the Ugandan parliament for several years. Every time it came up to a vote, someone in the international community would notice that it had the death penalty for gays, then the bill’s proponents would announce that that provision had been removed, and the controversy would die down—until the next year, when someone would notice that the death penalty was still in the bill. Lather, rinse, repeat. It looks like when it was finally knocked down to life in prison (for real, this time—no, really!), it was safe to sign it into law without too much international condemnation.

Margee, I am very saddened by this too.  It brought a youtube video to mind on the issue.  I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but here it is:

Doesn't make it any better of course. :Hmm:

I'm sorry, I must have missed that thread altogether or was so busy deconverting that I didn't notice that this was on the board.

I'm just beyond myself to think that in this day and this age, they would make homosexuality 'Illegal??? Years of imprisonment because of this natural state for some people?? I do bang my head up against the wall........

I respectfully disagree with your point that homosexuality is natural, on the basis that if it truly is natural, then why aren't more humans homosexual than the paltry percentage of humanity that is homosexual? If homosexuality was so natural, then why do most of them feel a need to force acceptance and tolerance of their lifestyles (ironically, they show much less tolerance and acceptance to those who oppose their lifestyle for WHATEVER reason) down the general public's collective throat?

http://ugandaradionetwork.com/a/story.php?s=35382

According to this article someone who has sex with animals can be thrown in the slammer for life, but where's the outrage? Where's the outrage against this law?

Uganda =/= America (or any other Western nation), so let's not condemn a country for exercising their sovereign right to determine what is best for its society just because it offends our sense of "morality" and "justice". After all, they're not hurting us. I mean, Americans would be outraged if some country with--let's say, lenient drug laws chose to condemn us because our drug laws land people in prison for an inordinate amount of time. Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with homosexuals, but as I said, Uganda is NOT America and is its own sovereign nation, so they have the right to deal with homosexuals as they see fit without condemnation.

Certainly, and Sudan can starve it's people, North Korea can put tens of thousands of it's people in concentration camps, Syria can use chemical weapons on it's people, and South Africa can segregate it's people.. and China can execute it's dissidents.. Saudi Arabia can stone it's women... Thailand can allow child prostitution and human slavery rings...

why should we bother with what anyone (in power) does to anyone .. as long as it's not here?

Your logic is wanting… primitive, and callous.

• Like 6

I respectfully disagree with your point that homosexuality is natural, on the basis that if it truly is natural, then why aren't more humans homosexual than the paltry percentage of humanity that is homosexual?

By that logic, having red hair is unnatural.

If homosexuality was so natural, then why do most of them feel a need to force acceptance and tolerance of their lifestyles (ironically, they show much less tolerance and acceptance to those who oppose their lifestyle for WHATEVER reason) down the general public's collective throat?

If having dark skin is so natural, then why do most blacks feel a need to force everyone to allow them to eat at the same lunch counters, drink from the same water fountains, use the same restrooms, and attend the same schools as everyone else? (Ironically, they show much less tolerance and acceptance to those who wish to deny them civil rights for whatever reason.)

• Like 2

Ravenstar, you are right about what other countries have done but where is your condemnation of America? America has some pretty big stains on its history as well. What right does America have to condemn how another country runs its society when America has done some dirt itself? At least Uganda and those other countries (as far as I know) aren't hiding behind a smokescreen of "tolerance". After all, why point out someone else's flaws while ignoring your own?

I respectfully disagree with your point that homosexuality is natural, on the basis that if it truly is natural, then why aren't more humans homosexual than the paltry percentage of humanity that is homosexual?

If homosexuality was so natural, then why do most of them feel a need to force acceptance and tolerance of their lifestyles (ironically, they show much less tolerance and acceptance to those who oppose their lifestyle for WHATEVER reason) down the general public's collective throat?

If having dark skin is so natural, then why do most blacks feel a need to force everyone to allow them to eat at the same lunch counters, drink from the same water fountains, use the same restrooms, and attend the same schools as everyone else? (Ironically, they show much less tolerance and acceptance to those who wish to deny them civil rights for whatever reason.)

Sir, you're comparing apples to tomatoes here. I should be offended by your statement, but I'm not. You're basically trying to imply that the black civil rights movement is equal to the gay rights movement. Sorry, that is totally false. You can hide being gay, but being black is something that can NEVER be hidden. I'm a black man, and when I go out in public, people will automatically know I am black. However, if I were gay, the only way people would know is if I personally told them. When gays have been enslaved, beaten, raped, killed, and sold like cattle for the past 300+ years (in this country ONLY!!!!) like African slaves have been, THEN AND ONLY THEN you can compare the gay rights movent to the black civil rights movement.

• Super Moderator

... Uganda is NOT America and is its own sovereign nation, so they have the right to deal with homosexuals as they see fit without condemnation.

Basic human rights don't matter in Uganda?  

... but where is your condemnation of America? America has some pretty big stains on its history as well. What right does America have to condemn how another country runs its society when America has done some dirt itself? At least Uganda and those other countries (as far as I know) aren't hiding behind a smokescreen of "tolerance". After all, why point out someone else's flaws while ignoring your own?

Obviously you haven't been around here very long.  Although not specifically mentioned in this particular thread (yet), there are many threads dealing with this very topic.   

Sir, you're comparing apples to tomatoes here. I should be offended by your statement, but I'm not. You're basically trying to imply that the black civil rights movement is equal to the gay rights movement. Sorry, that is totally false. You can hide being gay, but being black is something that can NEVER be hidden. I'm a black man, and when I go out in public, people will automatically know I am black. However, if I were gay, the only way people would know is if I personally told them. When gays have been enslaved, beaten, raped, killed, and sold like cattle for the past 300+ years (in this country ONLY!!!!) like African slaves have been, THEN AND ONLY THEN you can compare the gay rights movent to the black civil rights movement. 

Both the black civil rights and the gay rights movements are about basic human rights.  These, as well as many other movements throughout history, are ALL important in striving toward a more just, sane, and decent humanity.    

• Super Moderator

Nobody's going backwards. Societies ebb and flow in their time and place regarding social acceptance of lifestyle; homosexuality, polygamy, concubines, drugs, etc. Religions and governments flourish and decline. Things are always different in another time and place. The pendulum is swinging and will always swing back. Over time, a long time, we slowly seem to be getting a bit better in general. I'd expect some setbacks and backlash along the way.

So the fact that your ancestors and mine were so horribly mistreated is an excuse not to grant homosexuals their civil rights? The fact that your gaydar doesn't work means you get to berate them for not having it as bad as you? I don't get it.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with your point that homosexuality is natural,.

And I respectfully, completely disagree with your point of view.

I'll even give you a hug cause I'm so nice!! woohoo.gif

I agree with Margee here. Why would someone voluntarily become gay only to be derided by society? If gays choose their sexual orientation, then it stands to reason that heterosexuals choose their orientation, too. When did you choose?

CR1987,

First, Ravenstar is from Canada, not the U.S.  

Second, I don't know who's been feeding you what, but black people aren't being enslaved, beaten, raped, killed, and sold like cattle here in the U.S. anymore.  Blacks in this country got a shitty deal in the past in certain places, and no one is going to argue that point, but things are different now.  Have you seen the current President of the United States? I think he sucks, but that's politics, and for all I know, it might be his white half that's so crappy. 

What ticks me off isn't the color of one's skin, or what two consenting adults do with whatever they find in their loved one's underbritches. It's when one wears their cause on their sleeve and demands that everyone one accepts them, to the point of using force, however it might be applied. 

That's why I dislike Black History Month, because there is no White History Month. I suppose the Asians and the Hispanics would like their own history months too, where are those? 

Wouldn't it be nice and fair and all if blacks could just be themselves and be regular people? What? They can? Yes they can, and except for I suppose isolated pockets of idiocy, they are.   You can't hide your blackness, but why would you?

All the "gays" are looking for is the same thing.  While I am so very tired of people wearing their blackness on their sleeve, as if that makes them somehow special (if skin color doesn't matter, or at least if it doesn't really matter to you, then STFU about it). I am equally sick of "gay" people wearing their "gayness" on their sleeves. 

The difference is, gay people sometimes do have to hide in public, and that is wrong.  

That is also, I believe, the point of Margee's post. I don't really know anything about you CR1987, but I'd like to know who you are in love with. I am The State, and unless I approve, the way you show your love to the one you are in love with is of utmost importance to me, as it might under the law cause you or all of us harm, and you must be punished for it.

• Like 4

I respectfully disagree with your point that homosexuality is natural,.

And I respectfully, completely disagree with your point of view.

I'll even give you a hug cause I'm so nice!! woohoo.gif

You want to know the reason that I give hugs to even people I don't like or get along with? Because I personally HATE to see how humans suffer and I will do everything in my power not to make a human feel bad. Yeah....even people I don't like. Call me stupid.. I may be too sensitive I personally HATE rejection and so I would not do that to anyone else on the earth. I try to let people be who they are.  If I have to reject people, I do it with as much respect and love as I can so they do not get hurt. I try to do everything that I can with love. Yep....I'm a sucker for trying to help the world get along.....Humans suffer enough and I am one of those people that likes to lift people up, not put them down.

I love all the different people's of our earth. I personally think humans are the dumbest fucking animals that live because people do not know how to get along or accept one another. We continue to burn the 'different' at the stake..  I will go to my death feeling sad about the truth of the earth.

It's 2014...time to wake up and stop staying stupid.

*Hug*

Margee, I am very saddened by this too.  It brought a youtube video to mind on the issue.  I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but here it is:

http://youtu.be/AUSwYpWB0LI

xtify, I could barley get through that video  Ridigwoopsie.gif  but I know you feel the same way I do. It just shows me more and more that a lot of the human race is insane. I could get full of hate right now, but I am choosing to have a peaceful day instead, so that's all I'll say on this foolishness...

*hug*

why aren't more humans homosexual than the paltry percentage of humanity that is homosexual?

You know something CR? There are probably thousands of people out there in our big, fat world that are homosexual but to admit it to the world would be devastating.  There ARE 'minorities' in this world and it makes them look very different - even unacceptable. Not everyone is a  carbon copy of another. The world may want it that way but it's not. You are a minority....not because you're black (although that is also a minority and was why white people thought they were better) but because you are a non-believer. We non-believers are a minority and if it was up to a lot of people on this earth...we would be be-headed for out 'different' viewpoint. People don't like people who aren't following the crowd. Minorities stick out and leave us vulnerable to the rest of the sheep followers. So we 'minorities' MUST fight for our rights or we'll remain slaves to the hierarchies  of the world. If it wasn't for the black people fighting and losing their lives for the sake of freedom - you wouldn't be free today. The homosexuals must do the same thing. Same with us 'freethinkers'.

. When gays have been enslaved, beaten, raped, killed, and sold like cattle for the past 300+ years (in this country ONLY!!!!) like African slaves have been, THEN AND ONLY THEN you can compare the gay rights movent to the black civil rights movement.

They have been CR.

Maybe not to the degree of 'slavery' in the past but these dear ones suffer tremendously all over the earth and for centuries have paid the price for being 'different'.

why aren't more humans homosexual than the paltry percentage of humanity that is homosexual?

You know something CR? There are probably thousands of people out there in our big, fat world that are homosexual but to admit it to the world would be devastating.  There ARE 'minorities' in this world and it makes them look very different - even unacceptable. Not everyone is a  carbon copy of another. The world may want it that way but it's not. You are a minority....not because you're black (although that is also a minority and was why white people thought they were better) but because you are a non-believer. We non-believers are a minority and if it was up to a lot of people on this earth...we would be be-headed for out 'different' viewpoint. People don't like people who aren't following the crowd. Minorities stick out and leave us vulnerable to the rest of the sheep followers. So we 'minorities' MUST fight for our rights or we'll remain slaves to the hierarchies  of the world. If it wasn't for the black people fighting and losing their lives for the sake of freedom - you wouldn't be free today. The homosexuals must do the same thing. Same with us 'freethinkers'.

woohoo.gifwoohoo.gifwoohoo.gif  Preach it, Sister!