Goodbye Jesus

Arrghh...i'm So Tired Of Being The Only Skeptic

Amethyst

So I was at my writer's group, and one lady wanted to do a story on an Ouija (sp?) board, and we got into a discussion of whether or not ghosts exist. Out of 5 people, and all of them older than me by at least 25 years, I was the only one who doubted the existence of ghosts and whether Ouija boards might be real.

:ugh:

I am so fricking tired of being the only skeptic everywhere I go. Well, okay. There is one agnostic in the group, but he wasn't there to back me up tonight. But still, it seems like in my family, I'm the only one who dares voice any doubts out loud. With this writing group, I'm the only one who dares to question anything. Why do I have to be the only one, dammit? Why can't people grow a brain and stop acting like sheep?

:vent:

I really just needed to vent.

I am beginning to wonder if skeptics are, in fact, a genetic minority on this planet and I wonder if it will always be like this.

Hey, people are stupid, you just have to deal with that fact. There will always be people to beleive what they want. As long as there will be people, there will also be stupid people. Just be happy with the fact that you know better.

I am so fricking tired of being the only skeptic everywhere I go.

(((((Amethyst)))))

If it wouldn't feel so fucking dishonest to come to that group without being a writer, I'd gladly jump in to assist you ;)

I am beginning to wonder if skeptics are, in fact, a genetic minority on this planet and I wonder if it will always be like this.

Welcome to my world... :banghead:

Welcome to my world. :Doh:

I'm so with you, Amethyst - I'm a hardcore skeptic, too. My friends hated to watch 'X Files' with me cause I'd always laugh at the alien/conspiracy crap. I mean, how could anyone take that shit seriously? :twitch:

I mean, it's not like I want to make everybody in the world become an atheist and believe what I believe, but christ - sometimes you just want to slap folks. :begood:

If only people practiced a little critical thinking - you don't have to be some Mr. Spock killjoy, but think a little bit, you damn sheep! :angry:

Ame,

After almost a year and a half I returned to a pro-firearms board that is now a whiteman/rightwing/geo.bush.luvin'/fuck.you.if.y'all.don't.BELIEVE group..

Left in part due to the total tkeover from the libertarian minded freedom lovers by the right wingers.

Had to go back, left friends, and it is time to use newfound and reinforced skills and information to shoot back at the fundie carksackers..

If possible it is worse now t han before with the dogpiling and bullshit from the *badguys* parading the lubba-luv of jebuzz...

ExC with whatever warts and such it may have has become home on web for me..

kevinL

There is something to what you say about genetics, Ame. I haven't seen the work or evidence myself, so I cannot back it up. A U.S. scientist, nevertheless has discovered that there are a certain number of people that have something called the "god gene". I think this has been posted here before, or something similar to it. This would also include believing in the paranormal, etc. Refer to the link:

U.S. geneticist Dean Hamer: http://www.curledup.com/godgene.htm

I do know what you mean about feeling like the only skeptic, though. Family and friends always around you seriously talking about ghosts, u.f.o.'s, and the like. I suppose you just get used to it. I've learned to just smile and remain quiet, for now . . .

OT

There is something to what you say about genetics, Ame. I haven't seen the work or evidence myself, so I cannot back it up. A U.S. scientist, nevertheless has discovered that there are a certain number of people that have something called the "god gene". I think this has been posted here before, or something similar to it. This would also include believing in the paranormal, etc. Refer to the link:

U.S. geneticist Dean Hamer: http://www.curledup.com/godgene.htm

I do know what you mean about feeling like the only skeptic, though. Family and friends always around you seriously talking about ghosts, u.f.o.'s, and the like. I suppose you just get used to it. I've learned to just smile and remain quiet, for now . . .

OT

God gene thing is interesting. Why would God genetically predispose some of his beloved children to believe and others not to, if he loves us all the same? Actually why would God do anything with this crappy imperfect world?

Skepticism is largely the prerogative of the intelligent. The real struggle is to to stop oneself sliding into irredeemable cynicism.

:blink:

Hey Amethyst, I'm a writer and I live in the Twin Cities. PM me if you need someone in your corner for those group meetings, I'll be there. :grin:

Before I begin, I've got just ONE complaint: WHY ISN'T THIS THREAD IN RANTS, AMETHYST?!?!? :grin:

But anyway.... do I EVER agree with you, Amethyst! It is my Number One Bitch in life. Why MUST people be so mother fucking gullible?!? What ever happened to healthy skepticism? (Did we ever have it?) Why are people so eager and willing to believe ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that they hear and see? FUCK!!!!

I don't believe in SHIT. If I can't see it, feel it, touch it or in any way legitimately experience something, then I don't believe. PERIOD. I don't mind idle speculation and woolgathering, but to just BELIEVE shit without demanding PROOF?!? Fuck that. That is simply crazy talk.

And yes, I am SURROUNDED on ALL sides by gullible nimrods who believe in EVERYTHING from "God" to the "Bogey Man." It just makes me want to puke. It also makes me want to beat the shit out of someone. I can't believe such idiocy contaminates the gene pool. AND these creatures have jobs AND vote AND drive!!! :twitch::ugh:

You'd think that in THIS day and age, where we are CONSTANTLY being bombarded with scandals and exposes, having the lid blown off of every conceivable conspiracy and con job--you would THINK that skepticism would be at an all-time HIGH! But, it isn't. :twitch: Why the FUCK not?!?

Stupid fucking humans. :vent:

*sigh. OK. Rant over.

Before I begin, I've got just ONE complaint: WHY ISN'T THIS THREAD IN RANTS, AMETHYST?!?!?

Well, all the people who believed in ghosts also happen to be religious and/or new agers. And oddly enough, the lady who wanted to do the Ouija board story is Christian. So I thought it fit here. Feel free to move it.

What I would really like is to find a group geared more toward science fiction & fantasy writers, but there aren't any nearby.

Anyone in the Twin Cities area interested in starting one?

I've attended Minicon, but it was before they became a writer's con. I know there is a Misfit's writing group, but they meet in St. Paul, which isn't anywhere close to me. And there is a SF group that meets in downtown Mpls, but I live in the burbs. Arrgh.