Goodbye Jesus

Christian Slavery

Roz

Another piece of evidence is that Friendly Christian isn't even asking who Steve is! I mean, if I was a new poster and people kept calling me Steve---- I think I would correct them! It is Steve. He thinks he needs to save us and is using deceptive means to do so. He is probably using a different computer or new email.

Another piece of evidence is that Friendly Christian isn't even asking who Steve is! I mean, if I was a new poster and people kept calling me Steve---- I think I would correct them! It is Steve. He thinks he needs to save us and is using deceptive means to do so. He is probably using a different computer or new email.

I think Friendly Christian is forever stuck at 29 posts.  Let's see how long it takes for us to spot Steve 5.0

The fact that Christians played a role in ending slavery means that the anti-slavery Christians had a morality that was superior to that of their own god. They were fighting against something the Bible permitted and endorsed. Christianity itself did nothing to end slavery, it was actually the anti-slavery believers who figured out on their own that slavery was wrong.

A lot of Christians have a morality that is superior to their own god (though none of them will admit to it), that is why they cherry-pick and obey the instructions to do good to others. The article you've linked to just proves it.

• Like 3

Christianity didn't end slavery.

In the American south, Christians that objected to slavery out voted (with the aid of violence) Christians that endorsed it.

Inter-racial marriage was prohibited by Christians as being a crime against God's will, but that changed as well.

Christians simply change the moral code of acceptable and unacceptable as they evolve.

Slavery was commanded by God in Deut 20 and God's Temple was built by slave labor.

Most Christians don't like God's dietary restrictions either, so in effect they ended that too.

I

• Like 1

yelrotflmao.gif 

Ignorance and propaganda rolled into one!  If Christians ended slavery then why didn't they do it sooner?  Or better yet why didn't God forbid slavery during the Old Covenant?  The article is just cheer leading for a religion.

• Like 4

or web proxy.

• Like 1

What...?

Again: 

Please state the context whereby the ownership of human beings is not morally reprehensible.  Jesus, your god, gave license to it.

Under what context would it be moral for one human to permanently own another human, such that the one owned was his master's property?

You didn't even answer a single question.  You pasted a propaganda piece that further erodes your own credibility.

From the prop piece:

In the American South, Christianity proved to be the solace of the oppressed. As historian Eugene Genovese documents in Roll, Jordan, Roll, when black slaves sought to find dignity during the dark night of slavery, they didn't turn to Marcus Aurelius or David Hume; they turned to the Bible. When they sought hope and inspiration for liberation, they found it not in Voltaire or D'Holbach but in the Book of Exodus.

Did it ever occur to you that the people who were forcefully brought over here only knew about christianity because that's what they observed from their masters?  Christianity proved to be a solace of the slaves?  You're more immoral than I thought. 

What's the name of one of the first slaver ships?  The Good Ship Jesus.  If your god were real, and if he were just, he would've said "oh hell no, using my name to promote slavery?"  But he didn't, because he's imaginary. 

http://www.ask.com/question/what-was-the-name-of-the-first-slave-ship

• Like 2

What...?

Again: 

Please state the context whereby the ownership of human beings is not morally reprehensible.  Jesus, your god, gave license to it.

Under what context would it be moral for one human to permanently own another human, such that the one owned was his master's property?

You didn't even answer a single question.  You pasted a propaganda piece that further erodes your own credibility.

From the prop piece:

In the American South, Christianity proved to be the solace of the oppressed. As historian Eugene Genovese documents in Roll, Jordan, Roll, when black slaves sought to find dignity during the dark night of slavery, they didn't turn to Marcus Aurelius or David Hume; they turned to the Bible. When they sought hope and inspiration for liberation, they found it not in Voltaire or D'Holbach but in the Book of Exodus.

Did it ever occur to you that the people who were forcefully brought over here only knew about christianity because that's what they observed from their masters?  Christianity proved to be a solace of the slaves?  You're more immoral than I thought. 

What's the name of one of the first slaver ships?  The Good Ship Jesus.  If your god were real, and if he were just, he would've said "oh hell no, using my name to promote slavery?"  But he didn't, because he's imaginary. 

http://www.ask.com/question/what-was-the-name-of-the-first-slave-ship

Wait, are you saying the white Christian slave owners did not give a college education to the slaves they used to work in the field?  

"they didn't turn to Marcus Aurelius or David Hume"  =  "Let them eat cake!"

You may not have figured this out, since you're somewhat new, but ironhorse threw his credibility away when he first came here. Since day one, he's been running a "Sunday Dispatch" thread that he uses to post religious stuff. The thread wasn't created for discussion, feedback, or even a heated debate; only so he'd have a place to post quotes and Bible verses that he likes. If you post anything in that thread, he'll ignore it because it's his soapbox and he doesn't care what you have to say.

• Like 3

Christians ended slavery?  Slavery in the W hemisphere was started by Christians and was kept going by Christians. However, let me translate what this is guy is saying: While saved, I use to hit up the xian bookstore and read excessively, tons of books on how the US was founded by xians with hard core beliefes and other books showing all sorts of Propaganda: The two that crack me up are Christopher Columbus came to the new world to missionize the locals and how the US founding fathers were all hard core fundy Christian men who loved God (these books forget to mention they were also slave owners and George Washington may have died from syphallis)

To answer the potential contradiction, Jews were not allowed to keep other Jews (brethren) as slaves. They were, however, allowed to keep foreigners (from the nations that are around you) as slaves. Now why a God who supposedly loves both Jew and Gentile alike would disallow Jews from being kept as slaves while allowing Gentiles to be kept as slaves, I have no answer.