Goodbye Jesus

Christians on the Existence of God

Asimov

Before we can assign an existence to this concept, we must define God.

So...how does one define an infinite God? That seems impossible to do, since definitions imply limits.

So, do any of you Christians out there have an idea on defining this God of yours?

Defining God is like trying to fill a wet paper bag with hedgehogs; it's difficult, painful and serves no useful purpose. I always managed best as a Christian with a vague, general idea of God and his power and goodness, as it seemed to me that my brain would be unable to cope with too many details about an infinite being. As soon as you try to tie anything down with arguments from the bible, the bag bursts and a few angry hedgehogs pop out and escape. While you're rounding them up with arguments from other bits of the bible, a few more scamper out of the top of the bag and you're off again. :blink:

Before we can assign an existence to this concept, we must define God.

So...how does one define an infinite God?  That seems impossible to do, since definitions imply limits.

So, do any of you Christians out there have an idea on defining this God of yours?

Well Asimov,

As an philosopher, I would only propose that it is humanly impossible to define God by way of human rational effort. It is only something that could, even partially, come by revelation. Of course, it may be that much of a revelational definition is/would not be empirically testable. It may not even be enough to conjure a rational, coherent view on the subject. From an existential perspective, as opposed to an evidetial perspective, I personally believe that it is up to God to deliver the cognitive goods. If He doesn't, then we are at a loss to know. In this, I would take a Kantian or Kierkagaardian perspective. (Basically, as you said, any definition would imply a human limit, since we are using human language, rather than, say, some kind of telepathic imagery).

Heh...WHICH god/goddess? If you prove the existance of one you have proven the existance of all of them.

Guest digger
Well Asimov,

As an philosopher, I would only propose that it is humanly impossible to define God by way of human rational effort.  It is only something that could, even partially, come by revelation.  Of course, it may be that much of a revelational definition is/would not be empirically testable.  Snipped...

But if the only way to define God is by revelation that can't be empirically tested then how can you ever be certain that the so called revelation isn't just your imagination? How do you know that your revelation is the same as mine?