Goodbye Jesus

Under The Law Or Not?

zuker12

Well, if we look back at the NT, Jesus was careful to say that he came to ''fulfill the law, not abolish it.'' During my Christian days, even now, I take that to mean that the law wasn't meant to be an anchor around people's heads weighing them down, and causing them to judge others. It was more that one should follow the law, in love and service to others. (Jesus' teachings about loving one's neighbor, and enemy, etc...)

That's how I interpret it, anyway. The crux of Christianity is Jesus. The OT is a foreshadowing of Jesus' coming. Christians though cling to a lot of fluff that have nothing to do with either, sometimes. lol

I always found it strange that more christians don't actually look up what the "law" is.  A lot of times, the law is completely unjust. Why would a messiah come to fulfill a bunch of unjust laws?  

The laws in the OT would not make a good society.  Punishing every crime with death would just lead to more murders.  Even if we all followed the OT law to the letter, we wouldn't have a utopia. Saying we would have a peaceful society if we followed OT laws is equivalent to saying North Korea is a peaceful country.  

I don't think every crime was punishable by death but there other laws, such as hygienic "laws" and when Jesus came on the scene, he indicated that what is "inside of a man" is what's important. (In response to people scolding others for not washing before meals properly)

Sometimes I think Jesus might have existed, but the NT story of him was a fabrication as to coincide with an early church's agenda of control and power. Wanting to become a dominant and prevailing religion. It's not that far fetched to believe that a Jewish rebel (named Jesus) didn't like how things were being taught and he became a threat to them, because he preached a message of acceptance and love. It's not that far fetched, but that is not the version Christianity would paint of him.

Have any of you ever wondered why Christianity upholds Jewish "law" at all when it mainly focuses on the NT as the crux of the faith itself?

I don't think every crime was punishable by death but there other laws, such as hygienic "laws" and when Jesus came on the scene, he indicated that what is "inside of a man" is what's important. (In response to people scolding others for not washing before meals properly)

I remember watching Chuck Missler gleefully gloat that there were no prisons in ancient Israel.  They didn't need prisons, since every criminal was put to death.  Please see this reference for the list of crimes punishable by death in the OT: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Actions_punishable_by_death_in_the_Old_Testament. The list is way too long to post here.  

If all crimes are punishable by death, then witnesses are at risk of being murdered.

Jesus telling everyone that hand washing is unnecessary wasn't very helpful.  If he cared so much for people, he wouldn't have trivialized hand washing.  Why did he do this if he knew about contagion? Why heal the sick if you care so little for human health?  

Unfortunately, the stories of the Bible were most likely laws that were just basic to every day living (washing hands, sad these people needed laws about washing hands? holy shit) and fables/fantasy. Maybe a blend of reality and fantasy, mixed.

Could a historical Jesus have existed? Yes, but to what degree, who knows. I don't believe most of the stories told in the Bible, and the book itself is really little more than a tool used throughout the ages to intimidate those who follow it, by instilling fear. It's easier to control people who are fearful.

To debate it shows that we believe the stories, to begin with.

• Super Moderator

Living under the dispensation of grace allows christians to pick and choose which parts of the Law they want to obey.  That's why a person wearing a polyester/cotton blend shirt at an all you can eat shrimp buffet can rail against the evils of homosexuality and still remain justified in the eyes of the lord.

• Like 2

Living under the dispensation of grace allows christians to pick and choose which parts of the Law they want to obey.  That's why a person wearing a polyester/cotton blend shirt at an all you can eat shrimp buffet can rail against the evils of homosexuality and still remain justified in the eyes of the lord.

Don't forget about that cool cross tattoo they have on their arm...

• Like 1

I lol for real! :D That's hilarious!

Fortunately, nobody is under biblical law now. Not even the Christians themselves, because it was something made up for the thrill of controlling other people.

If you want my opinion though, on the technicality of the interaction between OT and NT law, then the words of Jesus relating to this is that every Christians has to obey all the laws before heaven and earth has passed away. Even the obscure laws about not boiling a baby goat in its mother goat's breast milk and not eating shellfish.

Most of the grace stuff was from the books after the Gospels in order of the canonical Bible. That was an attempt to come to terms with the evolution of religious beliefs, before they had the name and concept for that. So the fundie Christians has to suck it up and throw stones at their rebellious sons if they want to claim that they are utterly faithful servants of their God. HAHAHA! biggrin.png

The law was meant to let the people know how god wanted them to live.

so, yes.. the law is valid.. i.e.: you are supposed to live the law but you are not judged by the law. (so the sacrificial laws are kind of wiped out - except for the tithe - but the spirit is supposed to move you to charity and love so…. )

That seems the best reading of it, IMHO.