Goodbye Jesus

Greetings From The Bible Belt!

Guest Enforcer

Guest Enforcer

Hello,

I grew up Catholic. Went through the CCD Classes and got into much trouble when I compared the saints with the Greek gods. You know Patron Saint of this and that. Shockingly, I never took my first communion. I remember being in the first grade and having a baptist preacher visit the school. He literally scared the hell out of me. He informed me that because I was Catholic, I had not been saved and that I was in danger of eternally burning in hell!! That didn't sound like too much fun so I went and accepted Jesus right then and there. In my teen years methodist was the flavor of the week. They were ok. In the Army, I tried the Mormons. Say what you will about them, they were the first ones that introduced me to the fact that you might want to actually find out what it is you actually believe in when you join a church. I found out what doctrine is. I began to actually read the bible. I found out the god of the hebrew scriptures was quite vindictive. Later, I switched to the religion of my wife and we were Baptists, halleluyah! Of course, my wife being from PA didn't realize that southern baptists were a bit different. We didn't like it.

As we read the bible more. We began to question much of what we read. Why was there a commandment about not stealing and yet Jesus was instructing he posse to steal a man's horses? Why do they say they are aspiring to "be like Christ " yet they do not worship like he did? WWJD? Go to Temple on Saturday!! He would celebrate the Jewish festivals!! Anyway, as we became more curious about that, we decided to find out if there were any like-minded individuals out there. There were, the Messianic Jews. Then we wondered how the Jews could possibly not accept Christ. So we went to a website that expalined it. It made since. Jesus was not the promised messiah. They laid out very logical reasons and backed it up with historical evidence. So we began to become Jewish. However, we now think it's all hogwash so we are now humanistic. I still love to study the ancient writings and debate fundies. I live on the OUter Banks of NC and there are a lot of them here. Of course many of them don't have any idea about what it is they actually believe. I have a Catholic friend who doesn't think Catholics believe in the trinity!!! I am a godless heathen with a beautiful wife and two beautiful kids who will not fear a horrific place like hell and yet will still be moral people. Glory!

Glad you're starting off the New Year with us, Enforcer.

Humanist/atheist here. Interesting that your last station stop before humanism was Judaism. I find Jews very amenable to my being how and what I am... so much so that I've been married to one for over 20 years.

Welcome, and I hope you'll feel right at home.

Guest Enforcer

Well, we thought about continuing into Judaism but it was so expensive and there's nothing close to us. We really liked the Humanistic Jews. That way, you still get to learn Hebrew and the ancient traditions without the g-d stuff.

Hi Enforcer,

I used to work for people who were Mystic Jews (I hope I don't offend by saying Jews, they were Jewish). Anyway, they were a great people and influenced my departure of Christianity. I was going through my deconversion at the time and it was great having them to ask questions. They gave me lots of books to read. It was the best job I ever had and they kind of treated me like family, except I didn't make enough there to support my three kids being a single mom and all.

I have to ask, why is it expensive to continue into Judaism?

Great to have you here.

Taph

From one ex-catholic to another, welcome Enforcer!

Guest Enforcer

Hi Enforcer,

I used to work for people who were Mystic Jews (I hope I don't offend by saying Jews, they were Jewish). Anyway, they were a great people and influenced my departure of Christianity. I was going through my deconversion at the time and it was great having them to ask questions. They gave me lots of books to read. It was the best job I ever had and they kind of treated me like family, except I didn't make enough there to support my three kids being a single mom and all.

I have to ask, why is it expensive to continue into Judaism?

Great to have you here.

Taph

Taph,

The reason it's expensive is that in Judaism they don't pass a collection plate so they charge membership fees and accept donations. Also, when you decide to convert it's not the same as it is in Christianity. They expect you to learn about the religion. You must learn all of the customs and holidays. In some sects, you must learn Hebrew. In order to do this, you have to go to the Rabbi. His time is not free. Last time I checked the going rate to convert was around $1000 per person.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the history lessons and our Rabbi was great. We also loved this one thing they used to do at our congregation on one saturday a month. They would get together and debate about a topic selected by the Rabbi. Some of the agruments were wonderful. We moved out of the area and now we're not close enough to go.

They expect you to learn about the religion.

Why, that's outrageous!

:wicked:

Welcome, Enforcer, from a fellow "Belter" (LOL). I, too, started out Catholic and went through a laundry list of Protestant sects (including one that is arguably a cult). I hope you enjoy it here... it's a friendly place (I'm kinda new here, too).

SSH

Welcome Enforcer!

Guest Enforcer

To all: Thanks for all the warm welcomes! Who said godless heathens aren't nice? LOL

Pitchu: I can't imagine a religious group actually wanting you to know what you're getting into. I guess they charge so much because they can't fleece the blind followers like some other religions or cults.

Welcome Enforcer! You're ex-amony sounds a bit like mine. My "leap" went from Fundy to Messianic to Jewish to Noachide to Pagan. Of course, there's a lot of missing pieces in there, but I won't steal your thread by explaining them all.

Anyway, you might check out what it means to be Noachide if you are still searching and wondering. For me, it was my "saving grace" and my little loophole that allowed me to be "not saved" yet not a Jew. :)

Welcome aboard, Enforcer! :clap: