Goodbye Jesus

Are You Less Conservative After Deconversion?

Orbit

I don't know what triggered this, but I'm curious. Did your political conservatism change after you deconverted? Did you become more liberal? Why?

My deconversion was triggered by a long movement toward more liberal, so I haven't noticed much further movement. I suppose I am more confident in my views now that they are wholy my views rather than views I've been told I should have.

I was always liberal but I guess deconversion made me more militant about my liberalism, because I can see more clearly how closely tied together religion and conservatism are, and I want to oppose that as strongly as I can.

Yes, somewhat. I guess I tend to be conservative, except I think religion and state should stay away from each other, people generally should be allowed to marry those they love, and I don't think "life begins at conception." I've always been concerned about women's welfare; that hasn't changed much. But I tend to be suspicious of conservatives, because they're usually Cal Thomas-types.

I was never conservative

Raised in liberal christian and going towards progressive

Never interested in conservative

I was moving towards a more liberal position politically long before I began to doubt.  I have a libertarian mentality in that I think that everyone should reap what they sow, but I think that many liberal ideals like progressive taxes, standardized, high quality education, free health care, and subsidized post secondary education are the best way to ensure that both rich and poor have as equal a chance as possible to achieve what they are capable of.  

• Super Moderator

No.

Kind of went hand in hand.

On certain issues I took a liberal viewpoint on (abortion, gay marriage) but overall I had fairly liberal views before and after my departure.

I agree with what a few others have said. I think it was two sides of the same coin. As I became more liberal I started having trouble reconciling my religious beliefs with my philosophical ones, and as I slowly lost faith I became more liberal. It kept feeding into a cycle. I will say though when I was completely out of Christianity there was a final push toward liberalism. I suppose I became a lot more humanitarian in my efforts in place of doing service through the church for God, so that pushed my political leanings further.  

My upbringing was pretty much straight up republican.. For me the politics came first.  I tried for a long time to be a 'liberal Christian.'

• Super Moderator

I should probably explain my monosyllabic answer.  My parents are both highly conservative.  While my father is more thoughtful about his politics, my mother enjoys boasting about voting a straight ticket.  However, by the time I reached the sixth grade, I had already figured out that my parents' politics did not square with what I read in the bible.  I have always been somewhat liberal in politics, even as a christian.

I don't know what triggered this, but I'm curious. Did your political conservatism change after you deconverted? Did you become more liberal? Why?

I registered as GOP while married to the fundy wife... but still voted for Clinton. :-) Then re-registered as a Democrat upon divorce. Re-registered as non-partisan in 2012.

I've always been liberalish and never really wanted to tell others how they should live. It bothered me that my conservative church 'brethren'  would try to tell me how to live and what to think.