Goodbye Jesus

Origins Of Myths

thunderbolt

Some fundy said this to me:

All "gods" myths actually descend from Babylon, or Babel, if you will. The Greeks merely stole that claim as did every other culture who copied the Babel's gods, such as Egypt, Rome, Phoenicia, Persia, Arabia (heck even China!)

I doubt that this is the case. As far as I know mythology predates the first written works of the Old Testament. Does anyone have any good sources for me on this?

Thanks!

Thanks

You are a supa-stah!

:)

All "gods" myths actually descend from Babylon, or Babel, if you will. The Greeks merely stole that claim as did every other culture who copied the Babel's gods, such as Egypt, Rome, Phoenicia, Persia, Arabia (heck even China!)

When you ask this fundi how man being made out of a ball of mud by a god is somehow not a myth, how does he respond?

When you ask this fundi how man being made out of a ball of mud by a god is somehow not a myth, how does he respond?

Oh, he is as fundy as they come. Whenever I suspect we will enter some rational realm, he turns the conversation into some sort of crazy philosophical reduction. He believes it was as it’s written. Might as well hit my head against the wall …

Might as well hit my head against the wall …

Interesting strategy... The more times you hit, the more dain bramage you will incur, thus you will soon have the ability to think on his level!! Glory!

Might as well hit my head against the wall …

Interesting strategy... The more times you hit, the more dain bramage you will incur, thus you will soon have the ability to think on his level!! Glory!

Haha!

:lmao:

Here is his latest response:

That's fine, I will believe what I want.

Just one thing. Ba'al is said to have been resurrected long before Jesus ever did. Should we now consider that the resurrection is a lie as well, because it was made up to make Jesus look better than Ba'al? That kind of rationalizing makes no sense to me. That's just me, and if you want to believe those stories are just made up, that's fine with me too.

-----

Will do.

Just one thing. Ba'al is said to have been resurrected long before Jesus ever did. Should we now consider that the resurrection is a lie as well, because it was made up to make Jesus look better than Ba'al?

Um. Yes!

That kind of rationalizing makes no sense to me. That's just me, and if you want to believe those stories are just made up, that's fine with me too.

And this is why he's going to remain a sheep forever, or at least until he opens his mind up to research & the possibility that Jesus is indeed a myth.

Goddess worship predates them all, by about 40,000 years. So does Australian aboriginal religion.

For Neolithic religious stuff, check out pretty much anything by Marija Gimbutas. Also check out Richard Rudgley's "Lost Civilizations of the Stone Age" (for an overview of Stone Age culture in general, which was a lot less primitive than one might think), Riane Eisler's "The Chalice and the Blade", and Merlin Stone's "When God Was a Woman." Take a look, also, at the archaeological site of Catal Huyuk.

Note also that age does not confer or denote the validity of a particular religion. I've heard Christians mock Wiccans for having a religion that's "only 75 years old", yet they're oblivious to the fact that Goddess religion lasted for tens of millennia longer than Christianity ever did.

In any case, dig into Neolithic culture, and challenge the guy's assumption that life only began 5000 years ago in the Near East. It's a common misconception. It's also bullshit.

I doubt that this is the case. As far as I know mythology predates the first written works of the Old Testament.

By quite a bit, actually. The usual image of Judaic religion is one of great antiquity, but it simply isn't so. The books of the Torah only began their transition from oral tradition to written texts in the 8th or 9th century BC. The last two "books of Moses" weren't written until the 3rd or 4th centuries BC.

This makes even Homer's Iliad older than most Judeo-Christian scripture.