Goodbye Jesus

God's Motivations For Killing

megasamurai

I always found it unusual that scapegoating family members for other's sins seems to be the most unambiguously bad thing God allegedly does in the Bible, but Christians still support it with "his ways are greater than our ways." There's little ambiguity that Saul's descendants were not killed for their own sins. Same thing for those who starved the famine. Like you said, David had personal reasons for this slaughter. I just wonder if scapegoating innocents is right when God does it, why does it feel wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Reading all of this reminds me of a theory that floats around anthropology, which can't be substantiated at all, but is interesting. Based on the Bible, and other non-western religious traditions that emphasize a diety SPEAKING to people as the basis for a religion, it is hypothesized that human consciousness has evolved in such a way that we experienced inner speech from one hemisphere of the brain, and processed/interpreted the speech in the other hemisphere, but as if it were from outside stimuli. As we evolved, our brains synthesized this activity as a self-aware inner voice. It's just a hypothesis, but it would go a long way in explaining why gods have such petty human traits (like anger and jealousy). It was the product of a more primitive brain in a more primitive culture. </speculation>

• Like 1

Reading all of this reminds me of a theory that floats around anthropology, which can't be substantiated at all, but is interesting. Based on the Bible, and other non-western religious traditions that emphasize a diety SPEAKING to people as the basis for a religion, it is hypothesized that human consciousness has evolved in such a way that we experienced inner speech from one hemisphere of the brain, and processed/interpreted the speech in the other hemisphere, but as if it were from outside stimuli. As we evolved, our brains synthesized this activity as a self-aware inner voice. It's just a hypothesis, but it would go a long way in explaining why gods have such petty human traits (like anger and jealousy). It was the product of a more primitive brain in a more primitive culture. </speculation>

I have actually read about that before somewhere.  It is a very interesting hypothesis.