Goodbye Jesus

Complex Philosophies

zuker12

In the months of self-reflection I've done, reading up on lots of stuff and so on, my personal life philosophy has complexified to the point where I think I can't refine it any further. These insights will seem to the grounded-in-reality atheists very silly, I know, but if you can bear with me, then please listen, because if there's anyone out there with similar feelings as I have then I'd be willing to discuss them.

First of all, I no longer view the world as being in a constant struggle between "two principles" aka (Christian) God and Satan. Because the world is complex, enormous and quite beautiful, and the CHristian God is a VERY localized deity that might have been in a polytheistic realm according to the Bible, I think there is an ultimate Creator behind everything, who simply does not care what is happening or who isn't atleast interested in worship and petty stuff like vengeance against the "wicked". All the gods and demons in revealed religions are lesser deities, all of whom have affected this world in many ways but didn't create it. All of these deities have their own propaganda machines running, railing against other gods, against demons and "bad behaviour" and claiming that they created the world, when this isn't necessarily so. In a way, there might be a truth in the creation story in Genesis, if Elohim refers to a different superior god or to the multiple gods that affected the creation of this world. Humanity might be a creation of these lesser gods, but these gods were created too and would like to claim the creation of everything. They are all local deities though (I don't see why Yahweh is only a localized deity, letting all kinds of "abominations" and worship of other gods thrive after he originally created Man). Maybe in deism or the Bahaí faith there is an idea of the superior god that is similar to how I think. The deities have their own quirks and personality flaws, and also positive things. I see Satan as a deity too, with his own flaws and positive sides. He is often referenced in occult tradition as a serpent that gives wisdom, and is also vehemently opposed to Yahweh, and after doing a bit of reading on satanist philosophy is said to inspire thinking for one's self and challenging of established dogmas. Demons are a matter of perspective; to one god other gods are demons, to a demonolatrist the demons they worship are gods or as gods. The multiple end of the world scenarios are I guess equally possible to happen, and in the Christian paradigm, the conflict of Satan and God is another "localized" struggle of deities, meaning the war of Armageddon might actually go any way, instead of how it is prophecied. The multiple broken promises and failed prophecies of Yahweh and his personality quirks, regretting humanity and flooding earth (which really never happened) are a testament to his imperfection. I guess I view Satan as superior to Yahweh, and all the other gods as equally existing as Yahweh. I don't really know if they exist, since I am very slight on spiritual experiences, however I'm currently heavily interested in alternative spiritual practices, such as paganism and magick.

Is there some sort of a label for my beliefs? Has anyone thought any similar thoughts to mine? Is your philosophy simply atheistic, or how do you view your world?

I think many of us have had similar philosophical struggles or are currently struggling. The best advice I have is don't feel the need to attach a label to your self, don't feel compelled to place your philosophy into a box. Human experience is amazingly complex and it's really not easy or productive to take a provincial approach to identifying or labelling our experiences.

For my part, I identify as an agnostic atheist. I cannot claim knowledge but in the absence of knowledge and evidence I also cannot believe in the supernatural. I'm open to changing my mind however and I'm certainly willing to acknowledge that human experience and cognition is complex. The toughest struggle is often the one where you admit that you don't know and perhaps nobody knows the answer to certain questions. There's something profoundly interesting about human ego and the tremendous lengths it goes through to avoid admitting "I don't know" is a valid answer.

• Super Moderator

Is there some sort of a label for my beliefs?

Atheist in Denial?

After all, you admit to having no evidence for anything supernatural, only an habitual urge to worship/believe something. Most leaving Christianity, or any other major religion, continue, at least for a while, to look for the "real" god somewhere else.

I would say you are working it out. Keep thinking and working on it, but most of all, keep observing the world.

Have you ever read the novel "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman?  I think you would enjoy it.

What you wrote reminded me of Hinduism. In Hinduism there are many gods, but one "Rita." The Rita is the cosmic principle of natural order by which the gods themselves have divinity. But obviously, there are no gods and no Rita, there are certainly no pieces of evidence that would warrant belief in them.

kali.jpg

In the months of self-reflection I've done, reading up on lots of stuff and so on, my personal life philosophy has complexified to the point where I think I can't refine it any further. These insights will seem to the grounded-in-reality atheists very silly, I know, but if you can bear with me, then please listen, because if there's anyone out there with similar feelings as I have then I'd be willing to discuss them.

First of all, I no longer view the world as being in a constant struggle between "two principles" aka (Christian) God and Satan. Because the world is complex, enormous and quite beautiful, and the CHristian God is a VERY localized deity that might have been in a polytheistic realm according to the Bible, I think there is an ultimate Creator behind everything, who simply does not care what is happening or who isn't atleast interested in worship and petty stuff like vengeance against the "wicked". All the gods and demons in revealed religions are lesser deities, all of whom have affected this world in many ways but didn't create it. All of these deities have their own propaganda machines running, railing against other gods, against demons and "bad behaviour" and claiming that they created the world, when this isn't necessarily so. In a way, there might be a truth in the creation story in Genesis, if Elohim refers to a different superior god or to the multiple gods that affected the creation of this world. Humanity might be a creation of these lesser gods, but these gods were created too and would like to claim the creation of everything. They are all local deities though (I don't see why Yahweh is only a localized deity, letting all kinds of "abominations" and worship of other gods thrive after he originally created Man). Maybe in deism or the Bahaí faith there is an idea of the superior god that is similar to how I think. The deities have their own quirks and personality flaws, and also positive things. I see Satan as a deity too, with his own flaws and positive sides. He is often referenced in occult tradition as a serpent that gives wisdom, and is also vehemently opposed to Yahweh, and after doing a bit of reading on satanist philosophy is said to inspire thinking for one's self and challenging of established dogmas. Demons are a matter of perspective; to one god other gods are demons, to a demonolatrist the demons they worship are gods or as gods. The multiple end of the world scenarios are I guess equally possible to happen, and in the Christian paradigm, the conflict of Satan and God is another "localized" struggle of deities, meaning the war of Armageddon might actually go any way, instead of how it is prophecied. The multiple broken promises and failed prophecies of Yahweh and his personality quirks, regretting humanity and flooding earth (which really never happened) are a testament to his imperfection. I guess I view Satan as superior to Yahweh, and all the other gods as equally existing as Yahweh. I don't really know if they exist, since I am very slight on spiritual experiences, however I'm currently heavily interested in alternative spiritual practices, such as paganism and magick.

Is there some sort of a label for my beliefs? Has anyone thought any similar thoughts to mine? Is your philosophy simply atheistic, or how do you view your world?

Well I think they are all in the same boat. A sinking boat that is slowly taking on water as more and more people stop living as sheep and start taking control of themselves for themselves.

is there really any reason to label yourself. you are human you live on earth. I find that I feel a lot better about myself and others when I see those two things first over all other things.

I don't view not believing in gods as a matter of philosophy but more one of science. There is a claim being made of something that if true defines the phyisical universe around us. I do not believe that claim and I am simply asking for some form of NON faith based proof or sideways explanation of that claim. I am also asking that same thing of the other side of that claim even though it is not required. I find there is a lot more scientific evidence for a lack of gods than for them. I love philosophy and talking about the why of things. I never let it overshadow what I can see, touch, taste, hear, and smell.

I try to remember that when I view my world that there are others in it as well. it is through my eyes but we are a group like it or not and my current side of this group is not trying to cajole or talk into anything of the other side. I don't expect them to do anything other than give me the freedom to believe as I will and not call me evil or a sinner or "damn" me just as I am already doing for them. I welcome the diversity of their minds until their diversity requires that mine be diminished.

I consider myself an apatheist. Apathatic atheist.

Basic definition: I dont give two poops about religion.

• Like 1

Evidence?