Goodbye Jesus

Easier From The Inside?

bfuddled

I'm still not "out" to anyone but my a few of my immediate family, but I have recently become a bit more vocal about my thoughts. A particular friend of mine posts interesting topics on her FB feed pretty often, and she has quite a few people (99% Christian) interact on them. In the last few weeks I've begun challenging some of the comments and asking questions when people respond with the regular answers.

I've not been overly confrontational, although there's been quite a few times I rolled my eyes. I had a multiple day long convo with a guy about Noah's Ark and whether there was any proof for it, ultimately coming to a point with him that he admitted that he didn't really know and/or care if Noah's Ark or the Creation story was true, but that he loved/trusted Jesus anyway.

Having been in the church my whole life, I have witnessed many times that when someone declares themselves an atheist, Christians will often circle the wagons and/or refuse to dialogue with them. I think that because these people all assume that I am a Christian, they are more willing to have a conversation with me? Has anyone experienced this to be true?

If people still believe that you're a Christian, then they won't be confrontational. They may ponder why you're going 'against the grain' so to speak. When I ''came out'' to friends, and my family of origin, some completely abandoned me, never to hear from them again. Immediately. lol I thought, ok whatever.

Others, debate me. Still debate me. I have close Christian friends who still debate me. See, for a Christian, and I say this because I once thought like this, one believe themselves to be doing God's work, by trying to regain souls for the 'kingdom.'

I don't blame them, but I can honestly say, I will engage in a healthy debate, and I no longer get upset by what some Christians say to me, now. I think that's called indifference?

Once you hit indifference, (and acceptance yourself)...you won't care who knows. You won't care who debates you.

I think slow and steady is a good path in coming out to people. smile.png

• Like 1

I have definitely noticed this to be true. Before I told people how I defined my beliefs they were much more open to discuss and seemed less threatened. Now when I talk to friends who know I am an atheist they are more defensive. In general though they are just not interested in talking with me.

People are strange. What gets me is that as an academic, there's a "don't ask, don't tell" norm about atheism. The majority of professors I know are atheist, but they don't advertise it for fear of the powers that be.

People are strange. What gets me is that as an academic, there's a "don't ask, don't tell" norm about atheism. The majority of professors I know are atheist, but they don't advertise it for fear of the powers that be.

I find that so sad.  The Academy was supposed to be a place of freedom.

Having been in the church my whole life, I have witnessed many times that when someone declares themselves an atheist, Christians will often circle the wagons and/or refuse to dialogue with them. I think that because these people all assume that I am a Christian, they are more willing to have a conversation with me? Has anyone experienced this to be true?

Yes, absolutely. So long as you are a Christian, the spirit of god is supposed to be within you, so you can't be wrong. You can be deceived, but as you still possess the spirit of truth, I'd agree that Christians are more open to dialogue. Also the reason why there's a heavy handed bias to anything an atheist or non believer will say.

The Christians I know would take the view (at least, if they acted as they state they believe) that my "apostacy" (if they knew about it) would oblige them to withdraw from me as a sort of punishment.

Quite how they think I would regard it as a punishment were they not to talk to me I fail to comprehend - though My wife would certainly be caused some distress, and hence my "lack of outedness" so to speak.

This article shows why people in the US don't come out as atheists: http://www.alternet.org/belief/major-study-americas-overwhelming-mean-streak-toward-atheists-and-muslims

Atheists are rated last on favorable attitudes, a close second to Muslims.