Goodbye Jesus

Superstitions

Heimdall

I am not a superstition person. I do not believe that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day, however, after this morning I am having second thoughts on the matter!

I went out to leave for work, Left rear tire was flat (only on one side). Opened the trunk to get the jack and tire tool out, forgot to take the 5 cases of dog food out the night before. Unloaded trunk, took dog food into the house, came back out and got the jack, tool and donut out. Jacked car up, breaking lug nuts loose hurt my back. Finally got wheel off and donut on, went to get tire repaired, stopped and picked up mail. Get to garage, tire is ruined, nail in the sidewall (4 other nails in the tread), had to buy new tire. Tire not available, garage had to send to Sweetwater to get the tire. Went through mail, Bank says that I forgot to sign the check for my car payment (always drop the payment off in the envelope slot of the night deposit) so now I owe late charge, Walk to bank and sign the check and give them another check for the late charges. Came back to garage and went through the rest of the mail. Insurance renews on the 18th, need payment now, and oh yes, add a renewal fee to that! Walk to insurance agency and pay insurance and renewal fee and walk to Vet’s and pick up my little dog’s epilepsy medicine ($15.50). Come back to garage, tire has arrived, been mounted and balanced and now I can pay and go. Start to work, can smell skunk odor really strong. Start sniffing around – OH MY GOD – it’s the right sleeve of my shirt, probably from brushing up against the car wheel well (hit skunk the week before). Turn around, go home, change shirt! Go to work – due at 9 AM arrive at 1145 AM – sweet way to begin the day! Not only am I late for work and have to use leave hours to cover it, I am also about $200 poorer! Now do you believe in Friday the 13th – I know that I am starting to! - Heimdall :yellow:

Damn, dude! That is a bad start to the day! Remember that Jesus loves you no matter what happens, or he may fuck you up, I don't know! Anyway, hope the rest of your day is better. I'm not superstitious either normally. Glory!

My superstition is when I find coins on the street, my stocks will go up. Pennies especially, but hey, the higher the value coin, really, the better, don't you think?

Not superstitious about anything, especially Friday the 13th. In my experience I've usually had exceptionally good days on Friday the 13th.

I'm surprised the bank noticed the check was not signed. I worked in banking for over twenty years and learned that unless the check was for more than $2500 no one really ever looked at it; it was all automated. I told customers not to worry about that issue a number of times and every time I was right.

IBF

**It is cheaper for the bank to take a hit financially by letting an unauthorized check slip through the system then to hire someone to verify signatures on small valued checks.

I am sorry about you lousy day. :shrug:

Thanks IBF....The reason they noticed is that I bank with a small town Texas bank that is still owned by the same family that founded it in the late 1800s. This is a very friendly, very nice little business where everybody knows everybody else and you can count of smiles, hugs, and handshakes anytime you go in there (no branches, no ATM, just the one building). I guess I could bank with the "Big Dogs" down in Abilene or Sweetwater, but the 1st National Bank of Rotan (Rotan, population 1734) suits me to a "tee"! - Heimdall :yellow:

I guess I could bank with the "Big Dogs"

I wouldn’t.

It sounds like a great place to be a customer, and a great place to work; consider yourself lucky.

My bank was recently bought by Toronto Dominion Bank. The name was changed, the employees changed, and no one knows who I am there.

Wow, that is a really sucky morning. Hey, at least you were able to make it to work today, despite all the setbacks, and considering, seems like you made good time.

Yeah, you're right, all things considered I did make good time - especially since I live 60 miles from work (here in Texas, that is just next door). The only additional pissy thing about this is - I sent my Supervisor an email explaining what happened and he told the whole outfit about it. All day people have been stopping by my office making comments about skunk smells! :lmao: I take it with a grain of salt, they think enough to kid me. - Heimdall :yellow:

Well, I don't think Fri the 13th is a extraordinary day.

It just is.

If I had a either good or bad day, I just accept it and move on.

Supersition inflates everything.

I don't need it.

Heimdall,

That is a very bad start to the day, but my week probably has you topped.

Monday:

Letter from realtor informing me that rent is going up $75 at beginning of next month.

Tuesday:

Wife gets call from school. Seems she couldn't get into the BS Nursing degree program, but they offer a slot in the Associate's program. Only good to happen all week.

Wednesday:

Nothing good nor bad. Best day I've had yet.

Thursday:

Bills arrive. Electricity has gone up quite a bit since last month.

Today:

Arrive at work. Electricity out. Boss cannot decide whether or not to let us go home. Keeps us here through lunch. Power finally on at 1 in the afternoon. Computing network not up until 2:30. We close at 6. So, we've been sitting on our asses doing nothing in the dark for 6.5 hours because our boss can't see fit to close the bloody library when we have no power.

Also, wife had to spend nearly $800 on books today for classes, and still has to purchase uniforms, name tags, and nursing supplies.

I need a weekend to maintain what semblence of sanity I have left. Perhaps a bar, a few drinks, and some friends will change my fortune...or at least my outlook.

L_O_R, may the 10 Gods of Atlantis bless you with a peaceful, tranquil and profitable weekend and an even more peaceful, tranquil and profitable coming week - I know when I have been topped! :lmao: - Heimdall :yellow:

May you have the same. No one deserves as much bad coming at them as we have seen lately, but such is life. It never sends one bad thing at a time. No, it holds them, stores them, and then when you finally think everything is going fine, it throws 5 or 6 at you all at once.

Peace.

Earlier tonight my wife decided that she was going to run out and pick something up for the kids for dinner since neither of us felt like cooking. She asked me what I wanted, to which I replied, "Nothing. I'll pick something up on the way to work."

She gets back, the kids are eating and I decide that instead of getting something to eat on the way to work I was going to eat the four-day-old leftover spaghetti that has been sitting in the fridge for, well - the past four days.

Now I have the shits. :mellow:

:HaHa::lmao::HaHa:

Now do you believe in Friday the 13th – I know that I am starting to! - Heimdall :yellow:

Dunno, my Freya's day was pretty normal. Oh well, we had a bit more calls than usual for a Friday, but nothing really devastating.

And there was that report of a severity 1 incident shortly before my shift ended... but one of the experts had the final say on it. I sat there for the last half-hour thinking "please some luck, don't let him call before 6 pm"... and presto, no call.

And I finally can access all the needed outlook mailboxes at work now.

Bottom line: I won't make a generic statement, but at least this Freya's 13th wasn't unlucky for me :)

I dunno... I generally have better than average luck on f13's for some reason. Saturday the 14th, now that's a different story.

I do not believe that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day,

Here's the deal with Friday the 13th... it falls on a Friday! TGIF!

hah! I was right about saturday the 14th! Check this: I go to ride my bike to a friends house, and it's so windy that I almost get pushed into the road. I should have turned back then but then I decided to keep going. 2/3 of the way there, I realize that it's snowing. I get to my friends house, and there's a tree down in his front yard.

An hour or so later, a massive tree in his back yard, about 6 feet from where I put my bike goes down, barely missing the house and the electricity. Then, it being windy enough to knock down trees, we decide that I shouldn't try to leave and end up sleeping on the couch.

I can only think of one superstition that I still follow. I won't pick up a penny that I find on the sidewalk unless it is heads up. I don't really think anything bad will happen to me if I pick up a penny with tails up, yet I still don't. Perhaps it's just not worth the effort to pick up a penny, no matter which side is up!

BTW, that superstition does not apply to other coins - just pennies. :shrug:

I won't pick up a penny that I find on the sidewalk unless it is heads up.

TF, is that a Texas superstition? I have never heard that one before.

I do still make a point to eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day. :shrug:

TF, is that a Texas superstition? I have never heard that one before.
It has to be. :shrug:

Notice how the rules only apply to pennies that are heads up?

Yeah, it's one of those Texas Pride™ things no doubt. :Wendywhatever:

:HaHa:

I have the same superstition as TF, although I was taught that it didn't matter which side of the penny was up by my Great Grandma. I must have picked the idea up after I came to Texas (I am an Arkie), so it must be a Texas thing (Hook 'em Horns) - Heimdall :yellow:

Note to Dave - We need a Texas Longhorn icon for us Texicans to use!

I wouldn't say that it is necessarily a Texas thing because I was taught the same thing as a child, and I'm a fellow Arkie.

Maybe its a regional thing.

now that you mention it; i was pulled over on the 13th for having a tail-light out on the rental car-trailer I was pulling and given a warning.

I just know I'm going to hell now.

The one thing that happened on the 13th was that the bank sent me a notice stating that a payment I made to Direct Loans electronically (to pay for my schooling) for $70 was rejected and I was given a surcharge $30.... WHEN I HAD THE DAMN MONEY THAT I PAID IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Then on the 15th, it snowed, making it impossible for me to go to work. I lost out on a full shift that day, and I only work 3 days a week now. For $7 an hour. At Eckerd's.

Now I'm gonna be going to the bank to fix the money problem.

Somehow, I get the feeling that 2006 isn't going to be my year.