Goodbye Jesus

The End Of The Anger Phase

RealityCheck

About two week ago I decided to revisit my old church to see if anyone was still around.  Why would I do such a thing you might ask?  I did this as a form of humility.  During my initial loss of faith, I had a period of extreme anger.  Over the last 2 years that anger has subsided.  Honest reflection has shown me that many friends didn't abandon me due to my lack of belief but because of my poor attitude.  Fortunately, I was able to explain the situation and recover some of those lost relationships.  I figured that it's best to have Christians on the sane end of the spectrum as allies vs trying to be at war with everyone.

Don't get me wrong, there are still insipid believers out there who merit a charged response.  I've been subject to all manner verbal abuse from these individuals.  I was completely unable to differentiate them from the "Jesus loves you" type Christian and hence kept propagating the angry atheist stereotype.  I think it will be more constrictive to have a line of dialogue open with the latter and demonstrate that atheists are capable of living happy, fulfilled lives.

• Like 1

I think that demonstrated wisdom and courage, RC.  Good on ya!

I'm not there yet, but I hope to be someday.

Good for you!  Honest reflection isn't easy, especially how you noted that maybe it wasn't just your lack of belief but your bad attitude that alienated people.  I also like your idea of going back, so that the xians don't just think of you as an angry atheist, but as someone who has gone on to lead a happy, fulfilled, and good life with no chip on your shoulder towards all of them.  Maybe you'll help another person with honest questions about religion in that church see things more clearly.

The way the faith community sees atheists/non believers at the moment is rather dire.  I rather contribute a positively to that view rather than add to the fire.  I know there are questioners out there who's only reason for remaining trapped in that system is the fact that they're afraid of leading a miserable life after making the transition.