Goodbye Jesus

General Science

odintim

I realize this is mainly a collection of forums dealing with leaving christianity and related topics, however, could we have a separate section dealing with the sciences - no reigions discusse? What think the rest of you?

OT

I like that idea. I have learned more here then I did in school. In fact, I have learned that some of the things I was taught in school is just plain wrong. I'm not surprised, but still.

I think a general science forum could consist of q&a as well as discussing recent and even old but still significant and relevant discoveries/advancements.

Thanks, scits. With that in mind, I guess I should have created a poll. Better late than never.

OT

I'm all for it. One more forum here wouldn't be a bad thing.

Oh, great . . . I can see my edited first post is even sloppy. That's the last time I post so early in the morning. :Doh:

I'm a maybe... because I've found that there are the occasions where a Creationist has brought something up that I've not heard before. (ok, so it's rare... it still happens once in a while :shrug: )

When that happens, I need to go and look for more info to confirm or refute what they say and that can only be a good thing.

Scratch that... I'm a definite no. As long as we can keep things on-topic here, it's ok.

For many Ex-C's here, the scientific method isn't only for academia and the laboratory. It's a lifestyle, something that defines our character. So many of us gave up on christianity specifically, and religion in general, because they don't fit into a framework of tested facts and observation at best, and are completely absurd and harmful at worst.

I'm sure I can speak for many when I say that, before, during, and after science assisted me in debunking the myths of religion, it has established itself in my life in somany ways that have nothing at all to do with creationism.

Science is the polar opposite of religion. It provides us with tools to test the true nature of reality, whereas such exploration in christianity is a sin. Although we already have a forum Science & Religion, which examines the relationship between science and religion, a new forum that examines science only as the mindset of the ex-christian might not be a bad idea.

Unless the Science-only forum is closed to christians, I don't see the

point. They'd be posting their mindless babbling their as much as

they do in the Science and Religion forum.

:shrug:

Well, that is what mods are for. I don't care if there are christians in there, just as long as they stay on topic.

Well, that is what mods are for. I don't care if there are christians in there, just as long as they stay on topic.

True, but then why have a separate forum at all? You can

make interesting scientific posts in Science & Religion now.

I think it highly relevant to discuss what science is all about.

But I am indifferent, if it gets its own forum or not.

Definately a good think to have Science only discussions but its own forum would only be required if all science posts in the existing forum were hi-jacked by by religious views - is that the case?

I am no scientist though so i would be learning rather than contributing :dumbo:

Well, it was just an idea. I actually hadn't thought of all the fundies hijacking the forum. Well, so far the votes are mostly yes . . . perhaps the - ahem - "divine" knowledge of the moderators might think of something? :HaHa:

OT

If it's too much trouble for anyone, I'd say don't bother...otherwise having that section wouldn't be too bad of an idea.

I talked to webmaster, and the decision is to not do it at this time. We don't want to clutter up the forum with to many sections that overlap.

The "Science vs Religion" should be enough for now. I don't think this is a final decision, but for time being, the current structure should suffice.

I hope you guys will be okay with that. :)

One option could be to make the guidelines for Science-vs-Religion more strict. Same as the Colosseum. We'll see...

That's fine with me. Part of my motives was to get some relief from txviper. *Sigh*

Yeah. I understand. But if you want a more strict moderation in a discussion you can do it in the Colosseum, and if you believe Tx is stepping over, let me know. I'm not going to be kind to him, if he misbehaves in there. Deal?

I was just thinking out loud, but hey, that works for me. B)

OT

• 2 weeks later...

"Corporal Punishment", dealing with the science of a good ass whacking? :)

/me ducks!

kL