Goodbye Jesus

Cat's Story

Cat

Thanks Serenity

It's the loss of community I feel pretty acutely at the moment. Chuch was it for me, THE community, as it were.

Previously I would have relied on friends in church for support and help in times of crisis, but can't do that anymore. Well, they'd like me to and they are offering support but largely in the forms of prayers and telling me not to think so much...

:Doh:

Cat, I'm here if you need support. I sure know what you mean about "community." Although I've not been at church for over 8 years, I miss the feeling of having the support of a community.

Seabiscuit

Thanks Seabiscuit. I appreciate your offer of support

I'm currently lurking round threads on the forums here and find it very helpful as well, lots of things I'm thinking and feeling reflected in what's here.

• 2 weeks later...

My hubbie is far better than he was at first and is now supporting me as I tell people, which is more than I hoped for.

So that's it so far. Hoping it gets better soon...

Cat

It will get better. That your husband is accepting it will be a big benefit. I've been an apostate for several years now, and my wife still can't seem to accept it.

My story is similar in many ways to yours. I was Catholic most of my life, and in my latter 30s began to question. It started by reading the Bible a couple of times, which planted a seed of doubt. Then I began to question how my daughter's disabilities could possibly be so important to this omnipotent all loving god that he could not find another way. Then my faith hit philosophy head-on on the internet, and that was that.

It was hard at first, but now I love it. The freedom is exhiliarating, and doubts no longer haunt me. If you have read Karen Armstrong, you are well on your way toward understanding how the concepts of gods arose, and why they are rediculous.