Goodbye Jesus

Music For The Deconverted

Guest BreathinHeathen

Kansas, “Dust in the Wind,” a nihilistic piece written by a devout Christian (Kerry Livgren).

Just for clarification, Kerry was not a Christian when he wrote "Dust in the Wind."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Livgren#Commercial_success_with_Kansas.2C_1974-1983

Thanks for that info.

The discussions between Livgren and Pollard concerned whether the Bible or the Urantia Book was the accurate record of the life of Jesus Christ.

Er...

Um, the correct answer is “neither,” but if I had to choose between them, it would obviously be the Buybull. (Though if you believe in woo, Urantia could be as good as anything.)

Tim Minchin - Thank You God

Bryan Steeksma - Listen To Reason (theme from The Atheist Experience)

Shelley Segal - Saved

Shelley Segal - Eve

Metallica - The God That Failed

Porcupine Tree - Halo

Dream Theater - In The Name Of God

Porcupine tree is my fave band. Your points just went up with me Citsonga!

Porcupine Tree - Prodigal

Cool, they were awesome! (Rumor has it they may be getting back together to record a new album in 2015. I hope so!)

Anyway, here are a few more songs by what I could argue is an ex-christian band (they started off with religious overtones and were marketed in christian stores, but now they're skeptics, which is occasionally reflected in their lyrics):

King's X - Looking For Love

King's X - Run

King's X - Over My Head (live version from Best Of King's X, which has a great little secular "sermon" in the middle)

King's X - Get Away

King's X - I Don't Know

Kings x is great. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska is my fave album of theirs. Also like Faith Hope Love. Not really a big fan of their newer stuff.
I saw them a bunch of times, they were one of the best live rock bands I've seen. Of course I was a fan so maybe a little biased. I remember Doug giving Christians dirty looks and saying things against Christians in the shows, he was getting out his emotions which was pretty cool.

Another shout out for Porcupine Tree! I still have to check out Greydon Square. Here's what I'm listening to now:

Insomnium (Melodic Death Metal): Shadows of the Dying Sun, off the album of the same name (basically, we are stardust and this is all that exists, but there's a beautiful melody)

Same artist, different song: The Promethean Song (a child asks for guidance from the stars, which are beautiful, but nobody's answering and if you put your faith in that then you're not in control of your own life)

Also, I can really relate to Ill Mind of Hopsin 7 by the rapper Hopsin. He's an ex-Christian himself and that's what he sings about there, all the feelings associated with deconversion and the problems with faith.

• Like 1

Anybody ever listen to David Bazan (or Pedro the Lion)? I listened to his music as a Christian and always found his lyrics to be very powerful and moving. Now that I don't believe anymore I find his lyrics just as powerful but in a very different way. Listen to his album "Curse Your Branches" for some really smart criticisms of christianity. He is an incredible multi-instrumentalist and recording engineer as well. If you ever get a chance to see him perform, he often does little Q&A sessions in the middle of his set which can be fun and interesting too.

First Aid Kit  - Hard Believer

FirstAid Kit  - The Lion's Roar

Just gave this a second thought and actually I have to say...any secular music helped me in my deconversion process...because I was at a point I only listened to Christian music and more and more to worship only...and only the worship I could accept...I know I was crazy...haha.

I think my first CD I bought after leaving the church was Amy Winehouse Back to Black.

• Like 1

Just gave this a second thought and actually I have to say...any secular music helped me in my deconversion process...because I was at a point I only listened to Christian music and more and more to worship only...and only the worship I could accept...I know I was crazy...haha.

I think my first CD I bought after leaving the church was Amy Winehouse Back to Black.

I second this. I was pretty much the same during my really hardcore Jesus-freaky phase. I actually deleted all of the secular music I had on my old laptop (including several hundred dollars worth of pre-cloud iTunes purchases). I sold my CD collection (about 800 CDs total!).

When I left the faith, I had to give myself permission to listen to secular music again. I still mourn my old music from time to time though.

My first album that I purchased after leaving the faith was Queens of the Stone Age "Songs for the Deaf".

"You can't even hear it!!!" :P58.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVV_3Z1mp_c

I began my glorious Sky Relationship with the Lard on March 7, 1985 when I was 19 years old. It was not long after that that I learned about how evil "worldly" secular music is, and that Rock music is of the devil. We have a jukebox that has been in the family since I was 9 years old. My grandparents owned it before we got it, But anyway... I threw away many of the "evil" 45-rpm records that were in it and I also threw away all of my "evil, secular" music. Fortunately, my sister discovered the missing records in the jukebox before the trash ran, and I was forced by my very angry mother and sister to retrieve that evil devil-inspired shit from the garbage. The records went right back into the jukebox and my sister inherited the rest of my "evil" music, which was quite a few records and cassette tapes. I feel so stupid now that I actually threw away so much awesome music, though fortunately we got it back. I would have never lived it down if the trash had run and those records had been gone forever. I would have thrown away hundreds of dollars worth of music and destroyed a classic collection of 45's from the jukebox -- music that dates mostly from the 1960's. Religion makes us think and do some painfully stupid shit...

•  
  •  
  •  

I never knew I was cruel
until they stopped to tell me.
I never knew I was disturbed
until they dropped three volumes on me.
But in the Bible/Torah/Quran
there are really no good roles for me
except concubine and wash woman.
I used to be the sad one
now I just want to stab
them it's so severe,
it's brutal.

(I do not know)

They've needed to have the law so they can legally bind us.
They've needed the church so they can morally ground us.
They've needed to make the dough they've must be so scared of us.
So their stories are of ghosts.
I only wish the virgin would've had an abortion.

Marylin Manson - The Fight Song

A Strange Day Of Calm - "That's Just You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNmM0SvpuPg

A Strange Day Of Calm - "Since I Don't Have You"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEsdJu-IODo

I don't normally listen to this genre, but I really like these two songs. smile.png

Five Finger Death Punch - "Far From Home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvKmMADJtr0

Paramore - "Playing God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDy2wCQYSrU