Goodbye Jesus

Is It True That Christians Give More To Charity And Adopt More?

Insightful

Thanks for the great dialogue - I'm enjoying everyone's perspectives.

I was thinking percentage of Christians that adopt vs percentage of non-Christians that adopt.  So percent of people, not total numbers since there are more Christians than not (in America at least).

For charity, let's agree: let's consider only gifts that are primarily humanitarian.  So church giving wouldn''t count, but giving to organizations like Compassion Intl that are child sponsorship/relief would count.

Bill:  Very insightful comment about stricter fundamentalists being potential LESS generous by leaving the poor to God rather than taking personal responsibility and action.  Thanks.

The real answer is that we don't have good statistics on this. Until the US Census Bureau or Pew get involved, it's all speculation.

Since I have no statistics or anything I have no idea if christians give more or not, adopt more or not. I think that can only be stated if proven as a fact. There are tons of charities and adoptions without God attached to it and they are funded by whoever wants to support a good cause.

Now if it is true that christians give more, adopt more there might be various reasons to it. Yes, maybe they are just good people...but...most likely they feel it to be their christian duty to be good. So it is forced goodness that is not coming from their heart. A lot of giving is guilt driven. For example my parents used to tell us how thousands of african children would die because they had no food when we would not like a specific food. I think my parents heard that same statements from their parents. They donate to charities a lot...I felt like I had to donate but I never did because I never trusted those organizations. Also most organizations christians donate to are faith based organizations like missionaries or churches.

And do you count loans to friends? I give some of my friends small loans that I'd like if they'd pay back but won't cause me financial hardship if they don't.

I suspect you don't charge them interest either, right?

Correct. If I'm giving them money to help them because they're struggling, why would I make the repayment even harder on them?

I guess my Kiva donations are sorta the equivalent but with strangers, and middle men to handle the paperwork. (I don't do paperwork with friends; if they make a fuss about how they don't actually owe me anything, then it was dumb of me to loan them anything in the first place and I would not do so again in the future. Unless they want the paperwork becuase they're afraid they'd forget.)