Goodbye Jesus

"under The Dome"

buffettphan

• Super Moderator

Anybody watching this show?  I'm posting this under the Rants Section because that's what I'm going to do--Rant!

Although I generally like the show, some of the christian references bug me.  But hey, it's just tv.    Anyhow,  DearFundyHubby(DFH) and I were watching the latest episode.   There is a scene where a group of people "lay hands" on a character who is apparently dying.  DFH, who throughout the season has kept quiet about the biblical/christian references, piped in with "That's scriptural..blah blah blah blah...she's going to live...blah blah blah".  People do it all the time...blah blah blah."  I said, "Yeah, so tell that to the millions of people who have died over the past two thousand years.  It's so much more effective than seeking medical attention."   His reply:  "They didn't have enough faith."   My reply: "Riiiiiigggghtttt"... and increased the volume on the tv.  

I'm typing this just after I wrote a $297 check to his doctor for checking out a rash...and after paying $80+ at the pharmacy for his blood pressure scrip.     Guess his faith isn't up to snuff, huh.

That is all.

Thanks for reading.   GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

That experience would make me want to rant, too.

woohoo.gif

• Super Moderator

You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.

Dr Gregory House quotes 

• Super Moderator

^  

One of my favorite House quotes.

I watched season 1 and expected the series to be only one season. When it was announced there would be a season 2, I decided I wouldn't watch any more of it. People living under a dome reminds me somewhat of Christianity itself. Maybe Stephen King had that in mind.

Rx meds are damned expensive. It's immoral to make people pay so much for meds.

Got faith? Stop your medication. :)

• Like 2

I like good sci-fi. The Dome, IMO, is not good sci-fi.  I watched most of the first season. The premise itself was silly, The script, IMO, started out bad and got worse with each episode. I gave up on it about midseason because it just became to silly to hold my interest. I'm mot a Stephen King fan so that probably has influenced my perspective of the show too.

Extant, IMO, is decent sci-fi. Not great but decent. The scripts tend to get too predicable. Really good writers are apparently difficult to find. Good sci-fi and sitcom's, IMO, require exceptional writers to make the show work. The Big Bang sitcom writers are really good and so are the actors. My wife and I love that show.

Watched most of the first season. It just got to be too much of a soap opera under a different setting for me.

• Super Moderator

I like good sci-fi. The Dome, IMO, is not good sci-fi.  I watched most of the first season. The premise itself was silly, The script, IMO, started out bad and got worse with each episode. I gave up on it about midseason because it just became to silly to hold my interest. I'm mot a Stephen King fan so that probably has influenced my perspective of the show too.

Extant, IMO, is decent sci-fi. Not great but decent. The scripts tend to get too predicable. Really good writers are apparently difficult to find. Good sci-fi and sitcom's, IMO, require exceptional writers to make the show work. The Big Bang sitcom writers are really good and so are the actors. My wife and I love that show.

Yeah, I agree that the Dome has gotten way too boring and predictable.  It's just silly mindless entertainment with a hot redhead.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I watch Extant too.   Like you said, not great, but decent.  

The Big Bang Theory is my favorite current show, but DFH will not watch that because... well... Big. Bang. Theory.   WendyDoh.gif

This is one of those shows (and books) I wanted to like but just could not. It just drags on and on with no resolution. I got impatient after watching a few episodes and quit. The book was the same - I read what seemed like 500 pages without knowing what was causing the dome or really what the hell was going on.  I am getting too old for these kind of things.  Really, its too bad but I am so much less willing to waste time wading through something before it finally gets good.

And I am a Stephen King fan too - although I have not read nearly everything he has written.

The Dome has veered so far from the book, which I liked, that it's unrecognizable. Dean Norris is a hoot and the redhead is hot. Only two things this stinker has left.

Deva, I took the book to focus more on mans morals in captivity, and the quick social evolution necessary in a survival situation. How the dome came to be is secondary.

• Super Moderator

Yeah, I agree that the Dome has gotten way too boring and predictable.  It's just silly mindless entertainment with a hot redhead.  GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

I watch Extant too.   Like you said, not great, but decent.  

The Big Bang Theory is my favorite current show, but DFH will not watch that because... well... Big. Bang. Theory.   WendyDoh.gif

What is Extant? (Maybe it's on premium cable = pay extra for it.)

I watched TBBT through last season. But I think having Penny and Leonard married will shift the dynamic too much and remove too much of the constructive tension. We'll see.

Extant is on CBS on Thursdays, although it has been pre-empted by football the last couple of weeks.  Stars Halle Berry.  Tonight is the season finale.