Goodbye Jesus

Spiritual Elitism

mikey101

The Christian people I used to be around always said 'we don't have a religion, we have the truth' or the equivalent 'Jesus is not a religion'. Yes it is. New Age people said the same thing 'we have spirituality, not religion'. In other words, 'we're better than everyone else who believes differently'. Yes it is religion. It's Eastern religious beliefs mixed with Western thinking. It's called the New Age religious movement. Then I heard Buddhists say the same thing. Ours is not a religion. So, basically the 'other guy' is saying the exact same thing. He's saying you have a religion and he has spirituality. I guess none of these people went to college or read very many books. It makes them feel better to be better than everyone else who believes differently than they do. It's called elitism.

I use Buddhist meditation, but I don't think that makes me groovier than anyone else. I just like it. Meditation isn't a religion, though it is informed by Buddhism, which is (or can be). I think of Eastern philosophy as philosophy, not religion. There is no worship involved.

Why would "worship" be connected with spiritual elitism? Just want to get your position clear.  In Buddhism there is a lot of worship involved, in my experience, although the worship is not of a god.  Maybe some people have different versions of Buddhism, though.  I can say I have not really heard any Buddhist say that Buddhism "is not a religion."

What do they worship?  When I was in Thailand, the Thais would get up early and perform rituals, including leaving food, lighting candles and doing something like Tai Che in front of their shrines.  I never could figure out if they were just centering themselves or if they believed in some spirit or something. 

This whole question is interesting to me, because before I became involved in Buddhism I didn't think there was any worship involved.  But speaking from my experience with Tibetan Buddhism, in practice they really do worship the Buddhas. Again, the word "worship" is never used, but the word "devotion" is.  I can't see a difference.

Whatever it is, it's far less obnoxious than American xians who raise their hands and sing hosanna.  It doesn't become an overriding force in their lives, it doesn't make them judgement pricks and they just do it completely for themselves, without worrying that others around them aren't participating.  I had a Thai friend who took me to a huge shrine on the side of the mountain.  She was perfectly happy to say her little prayer while I just watched and then we were on our way.  I felt no pressure to join or any judgement for not understanding or participating.

I even have a picture:

2014-09-20_2111.png

The main shrine didn't make it into this view for some reason, here's a better perspective:

2014-09-20_2112.png

• Like 1

Personally I don't think there is any difference between religion and spirituality. Each involve holding something or someone outside the self in esteem or veneration, whether it's called worship or not.

• Like 1

I'm following certain practices of Buddhism now, as an atheist. I have mixed feelings about spirituality, at this point. (as to how to define it) In terms of ''elitism,'' it just seems that man enjoys one-upping his fellow man, in a variety of endeavors. I don't think that concept is relegated to religion/spirituality. It's not a surprise therefore, to see it on display amongst the religious.

I agree, Vigile, there is a different quality about Buddhist "worship" or "devotion" that isn't as obnoxious as some forms seen in the U.S.

One of the positive differences in reference to Buddhism 'over' Christianity, of the Buddhists I have read about, or know...there is no element of trying to recruit people into it. As can be seen with Christianity, where Christians feel 'called' to point out everyone's 'sins,' and coerce people into following the religion. That isn't the case with Buddhists whatsoever. From what I've observed, anyway.

Personally I don't think there is any difference between religion and spirituality. Each involve holding something or someone outside the self in esteem or veneration, whether it's called worship or not.

New Age basically says you are god, one with the universe etc you just have to have the 'realization'. They give lots of reasons for not having anything do with 'religion', or having anything to do with New Age for that matter. The West didn't come up with Buddhism and Hinduism though, we just took it and made self help spiritual gurus and we call it truth. Sounds like religion to me, it's trying to explain and give meaning to existence.

Spirituality doesn't necessarily work like that. My spirituality comes from inside.

This whole question is interesting to me, because before I became involved in Buddhism I didn't think there was any worship involved.  But speaking from my experience with Tibetan Buddhism, in practice they really do worship the Buddhas. Again, the word "worship" is never used, but the word "devotion" is.  I can't see a difference.

The Buddha is just a man who attained enlightenment. I think the devotion is a tool to attain what the Buddha did. Worshipping the Buddha would imply that he is like a god who is separate from everyone else, but in Buddhism he's just a human being who found something and taught it to others so they can have the same experience.

Maybe so.
It's a theory, but in practice who knows what people will do. Jesus is theoretically supposed to turn wolves into sheep but in my experience life isn't that simple.