Goodbye Jesus

Messiah, New And Improved!

cathuria

I think I've found an alternative for all those who still need a savior in their lives but are soured on Jesus...

I've been reading about the Zoroastrian religion in Myth & Mystery by Jack Finegan. Although scholars don't believe that Zarathustra (probably a real person, around 6th-8th cent. BC) actually originated Zoroastrianism, he at least created a majority religion out of it.

While Zarathustra's life is hardly a parallel with Jesus, there are remarkable similarities. He started his ministry at 30, and taught principles of righteousness and social morality that are identical with Jesus. Of course, he also had a violent conflict with priests of the old order. The difference is, not only did Zarathustra survive, but he succeeded in overthrowing the old order and establishing his view of god as the new reality.

So... who you gonna worship -- the guy who got nailed to a log or the guy who triumphed?

So... who you gonna worship -- the guy who got nailed to a log or the guy who triumphed?
They're both long gone. Why worship either of them?

*in my best Tina Turner voice*

icon13.gif

We don't need another hero!

icon13.gif

Of course, if you'd rather not worship Zarathustra yourself, you could always go around and convince others to worship him. I understand there's a big money-making opportunity in such things. ;)

Of course, there is no "sacrifice" to appease the angry god, so Zathura would be rejected. *sigh*

But a good point nonetheless, I like "squirelly" thoughts! Welcome! :)

Addenda on Zoroastrianism:

Been reading further into the chapter and discovered Zarathustra's teachings on the End Times featuring a Judgement Day when all the dead will be resurrected and judged.

(One huge difference -- their hell (described as a place of weeping and lousy food) is not necessarily permanent; a damned soul can work their way back to righteousness and earn redemption after a period of suffering.)

Comparing Zarathustra's teachings with my memories of Da Bible, it is clear that the Jesus cults and probably Paul himself were, directly or indirectly, heavily influenced by the religion that came out of Persia 700 years earlier. I don't have to squint very hard to see Christianity as a "mystery cult" offshoot of Zoroastrianism, rather than Judaism.

[Zo ro as tri an is m --- ya know, that's a heck of a lot of syllables even for a religion.]

No thanks, those folks wash with and drink urine from a sacred white ox as part of their ceremonies. Blech!

Besides, I'm pretty sure you have to be born into that religion, they don't take converts.