Goodbye Jesus

Socrates/plato

thunderbolt

I have having a discussion with someone about the text, etc. This person said:

Quote:

I believe that the closest historical manuscripts we have for Plato are Arabic translations dating from more than a thousand years after the dialogues were written. Socrates, who wrote nothing which has survived, has few other Athenian sources which point to him and they're generally not positive; they are certainly not reverent, though humorously realistic, as Plato's depiction is. And they do not present the core of his philosophy, ethical or otherwise. We only find Socrates' ethical vision, and for that matter, Plato's transcendent one (to be fair, critics do speculate as to what might be original to Plato), in Plato's writing.

Any ideas how I might respond?

For one, I thought to say that neither claimed to be God. I don't have any information on the dating, and if this is actually the case. Would be interested if someone has information on this.

Many Thanks!

Let's add this as well:

If Jesus didn't consider himself the instrument to usher in the apocalypse, why did he speak of the eschaton as imminent? Why do we still have verses which are difficult to understand now, about 'this generation shall not pass away.? If the gospel tradition is primarily later, fictionalized material, wouldn't the Christians have left those out?

That prophecy clearly failed.

I have having a discussion with someone about the text, etc. This person said:

Quote:

I believe that the closest historical manuscripts we have for Plato are Arabic translations dating from more than a thousand years after the dialogues were written. Socrates, who wrote nothing which has survived, has few other Athenian sources which point to him and they're generally not positive; they are certainly not reverent, though humorously realistic, as Plato's depiction is. And they do not present the core of his philosophy, ethical or otherwise. We only find Socrates' ethical vision, and for that matter, Plato's transcendent one (to be fair, critics do speculate as to what might be original to Plato), in Plato's writing.

Any ideas how I might respond?

For one, I thought to say that neither claimed to be God. I don't have any information on the dating, and if this is actually the case. Would be interested if someone has information on this.

Many Thanks!

Let's add this as well:

If Jesus didn't consider himself the instrument to usher in the apocalypse, why did he speak of the eschaton as imminent? Why do we still have verses which are difficult to understand now, about 'this generation shall not pass away.? If the gospel tradition is primarily later, fictionalized material, wouldn't the Christians have left those out?

That prophecy clearly failed.

I don't know if this helps any, but here is a link to the Nag Hammadi Library that has Plato's Republic 588A - 589B. It probably doesn't help with your question though...sorry!

Thanks anyway.

Isn't it interesting that more Gnostic scriptures are available than that which eventually made the holy canon? I smell a conspiracy …

Thanks anyway.

Isn't it interesting that more Gnostic scriptures are available than that which eventually made the holy canon? I smell a conspiracy …

Yes indeed...I have been reading your responses to Spomoni (?) and you mentioned Constantine. From what I understand, he demanded that all the ChristianitIES (as you say :grin: ) be combined into one belief. I wonder what pressure the bishops felt in trying to combine everything that would please Constantine? I would imagine a hell of a lot. And, if any of the "God is in you" thoughts got into the bible, what power would he have?