Goodbye Jesus

Dealing With The Holidays

Woodsy

This is going to be the second xmas since my deconversion and it's starting to feel harder to deal with. Thoughts of "did I do the right thing" are creeping in and I just yearn for peace in my decision to leave my religion. I think I need to go back and read some books that reaffirm that decision.

Anyone else have these issues and what are you doing with the holiday?

I used to have those conflicts. When I really sat down and thought about it, I realized I was being too rigid with myself and social customs. You can still revel in the Holidays. Still go to mass if you so desire. There is no commitment to reconvert or admission of doubt about your choice to leave that is automatically tagged with your participation.

• Super Moderator

Many Christians realize that the holiday was adopted from Pagan roots and therefore don't acknowledge it. You may choose what the holiday represents to you; the birth of Jesus, the change of season, or perhaps the Black Friday sale at Macy's.

Thoughts of "did I do the right thing" are creeping in and I just yearn for peace in my decision to leave my religion. I think I need to go back and read some books that reaffirm that decision.

I assume you didn't leave the religion because you discovered all the answers to the mysteries of the universe. You probably left because Christianity failed to provide evidence that its assertions were valid. So unless they have suddenly made their case there is no reason to accept the premise.

Thanks, everyone, for your posts and your words of encouragement.

I agree with Florduh here. This will be my first holidays after deconversion. I enjoy the holidays, the secular part. And even the Christian Christmas music is pretty music. In fact, I liked going to the mother-in-law's Christmas Eve service at her Methodist church, and dreaded the ones at the Pentecostal churches, stark and empty of all that rich beauty, where the Wife, daughter and I usually went.

Only if we go this year, I don't have to feel guilty about enjoying the music and that's it.