Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Christians So Fearful?

Guest Furball

The older I get, the more I hate this religion when I think of the core of it - the blood sacrifice of a dead man/god, for which we are all supposed to be oh so grateful.

The fact that god is only really satisfied with blood is probably one reason people are afraid. I am sure they don't consciously process this fact, but only think in terms of hell or heaven. Let's face it, the average person hasn't really thought all this out deeply.

Slight change of subject, I would also like to know why Christians are so unforgiving, seeing as they are supposed to have been forgiven themselves. Crap, you guys wouldn't believe what i am having to deal with right now regarding a Christian "friend".

Looking back on it now I think Christianity is based on a slave/master relationship. Believers develop a slave mentality in that they are always trying to please the master, but they consistently fall short of the master's expectations. The slave is continuously attempting to please the master to avoid punishment much more than to receive a reward. Fear of punishment, IMO. is the primary motivating factor in Christianty and most other religions too.

Bingo.

When I try to explain to some people that Christianity was used by the slave owners/traders against the African people as a most potent weapon, I get blank stares.  The mindset went something like this...."Now you be a good niggah, Jessup, and do as Massa say, and you won't get whupped.  It may be hard here, but you just trust god/jesus and your reward be up in hebben, with all dem pretty white angels."

I think that the idea of some type of reward, or justice, is what many find the most attractive about christianity, or judaism or islam for that matter. 

• Like 3

While some admit that, more like than not they'll try to find a higher thing to claim why they stay on than just the fear of hell and the promise of eternal life.

Out of curiosity, why are we extended such an opportunity, anyway? I mean, we're just basically intergalactic playthings according to the Bible, why are we being allowed in to an eternal kingdom owned by those who existed before?

The older I get, the more I hate this religion when I think of the core of it - the blood sacrifice of a dead man/god, for which we are all supposed to be oh so grateful.

Slight change of subject, I would also like to know why Christians are so unforgiving, seeing as they are supposed to have been forgiven themselves. Crap, you guys wouldn't believe what i am having to deal with right now regarding a Christian "friend".

Because the religion primarily is about judgement and suffering; all else is interpreted in the light of that.  Therefore they see attacking those with whom they disagree as being the correct interpretation of love and forgiveness.  God's will and glory, don't you know...!

[snip]

The only way to come back is to use the Bible against them. Toss out a few quotes about forgiveness, judging others, etc. "Judge not that ye be judged." Matthew 7:1

Here's another one:

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15

Guest Furball

Using scripture against a xtian is the only way to make them see the real light. and even that doesn't work half the time. Unless your going to show them in their scriptures why and where they are wrong, it's just a waste of time to use rational logic that is based in reality. 

• 3 weeks later...

The only way to come back is to use the Bible against them. Toss out a few quotes about forgiveness, judging others, etc. "Judge not that ye be judged." Matthew 7:1

In another forum, someone wrote, “I know non-Christians like to whip this verse out whenever they want to do something immoral - just to shut the Christians up...”

A sure sign that we’re dealing with a fundie apologist mentality here.

My response was, “No, non-Christians like to whip this verse out when Christians won't mind their own business.” To the part about shutting Christians up, I wrote, “You got that part right. Read verse 6, same chapter.” I got no response.

Here is the entire context, since our Christian dragged out that tired accusation as well. Ironically, he explained that Jesus was admonishing Christians not to feel superior to others, but his very statement (“whenever they want to do something immoral”) reveals that sense of superiority.

How about that line from the Lord's Prayer:  "And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us"?  Pretty straightforward.

Guest Furball

"For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.  But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." Matthew 6:14-15

I thought the only way to be forgiven was through the shedding of blood-specifically jesus on the cross-hmph apparently there are other ways to be forgiven

Kind of related to the OP is the question of why Xtians are so angry (and therefore fearful) at any one who they believe insults their god? They get into a rage if some says Jesus was not only not perfect, but in fact evil. Why? Do they think that  god (any or all of the three persons} is incapable of defending himself/themselves? Seriously. They get madder at that than they will if one of their ministers rapes a child. Or a dozen children. Rip