Goodbye Jesus

Survey Of Psychiatry

laura

Hello there, Laura here.

I was curious and wanted to know if there are discrepencies in what psychiastrists (shrinks) tell their patients. I want to know if it is mostly the opinion of the individual. I want to know this only about non-christian therapists. I have I this nagging thought that I should see a secular therapist, but if they're only gonna give me their opinion, there's no point. So, I would like to hear from anyone on this site who has ever visited a therapist(s) (you don't have to tell me why, unless you want to), or anyone who may have any knowledge about the subject. Tell me everything you know.

I also have this topic posted in the "Totally Off Topic" discussion section.

Thanks!

Laura

"Never Go Back"

With couneling, you should be the one doing most of the talking with the counselor offering insights based on their experience and education. The point of counseling is to help you find your own solutions to your problems, not them giving you their opinoin about your situation.

In seeking a therapist, it's important that you find someone you have a report with and you can trust. If you don't feel comfortable with them, it won't do you any good. Bad counseling is worse than no counseling at all.

Taph

What Taph said. Plus when you go to a therp, they'll tell you different things based on what their particular therapeutic school is. Cognitive/behavioral therapists, for instance, will have a different approach than traditional psychoanalysts. Many psychologists specialize in different areas too, so you can find shrinks that focus on abuse/survivor issues, relationships, life changes, grief counseling, gay/lesbian/trans issues, or whatnot.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors specializing in how our brains and bodies work together (very loose definition there), and so if you need medication, a psychiatrist is a good person to go to. If you need "talking" therapy, a psychologist or social worker is usually a better option.

I've been to several therapists. I can't think of any of them that sucked outright. One was Christian, and I went to her when I was Christian. She was good, but a drawback was that I held back a lot of stuff from her because I was afraid of her judgment. So I solved some issues, but others stayed hidden. The best psychologist I had was a gal who was an ARNP, so she could explore both talk issues and meds, and she wasn't opposed to alternative therapies as well. She was just pushy enough that she'd encourage me to expand beyond my boundaries, but not critical or judgmental at all. If I didn't live nearly 3 hours away from her I'd still go see her today. She rocked.

It takes awhile to find a good therp. If you do a google search on "how to find a therapist" there's plenty of stuff out there though.

:)Laura, I want to recommend that if you have an idea of what your diagnosis is, to go to someone who specializes in that area. It seems that different diagnosis have different dynamics associated with them, and a counselor/psychologist/social worker with a strong background and record of 'success' in that area is the best one. It might be good to research this about yourself first, and you might be interested in this site.

A social worker usually has studied a lot of counseling, plus is usually more aware of the different funded programs available. There are good programs especially for a parent in the US, wiith a child under 18 years of age. A psychologist is usually more adept at giving psychological testing, while a counselor can be very, very good in the area you need help too. Again, I recommend making sure it is someone who is well experienced in your dynamics.

It is probably safe to say that we all have mental health issues. I understand that realizing we have a problem is half of solving it! :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

I have I this nagging thought that I should see a secular therapist

IMO you should definitely consider a secular therapist if you feel it will benefit you, especially if you have been messed up by a fundy Xian one. There is all the difference in the universe between those who spout bible babble, and those who have a solid basis in reality. Sure, their opinions may differ since each is free to think! Ultimately it's your privilege to sort it out in your own life. Would you have it any other way?