Goodbye Jesus

Uk Sides With Creationists

waynus

Looking at what happens in Israel, Palenstine, Iran, USA etc. I say the world is going into a fundamentalist attitude in all religions. It's not only Christianity. We had a period of reason and rationality, but we're now in the phase when the pendulum is swinging the other way.

A rather alarming survey reveals UK does not show a superior level of science education, what is it about the English speaking world why are we going backwards?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4648598.stm

When given a choice of three theories, people were asked which ones they would like to see taught in science lessons in British schools:

44% said creationism should be included

41% intelligent design

69% wanted evolution as part of the science curriculum.

That's worrying.

Though I wonder how many people who said creationism or ID really knew what they meant

The program this comes from is on at 9pm on BBC2 in the UK (Horizon: A War on Science) - I'll try and catch it, kids and other things permitting

What's the difference between Creationism and Intelligent Design? Seems to me like a bit of a loaded survey, and I might be wrong, but this doesn't seem scientific at all. Survey's and polls can be made to say almost anything. But it’s alarming none the less - the media machine is working just fine ...

Looking at what happens in Israel, Palenstine, Iran, USA etc. I say the world is going into a fundamentalist attitude in all religions. It's not only Christianity. We had a period of reason and rationality, but we're now in the phase when the pendulum is swinging the other way.

I agree, Han....you would think that the fallacy would give way to truth, but the minds of the people are easily swayed by emotionalism and appeals to their own beliefs.

The current trend seems to be heading us towards a second Dark Age, where knowledge is suppressed and individualism is considered a bad thing.

Oh well.

Participants over 55 were less likely to choose evolution over other groups.

This somehow doesn't surprise me. I would be interested in seeing this study broken down into specific age demographics. I bet you would see very different results in a younger group than an older one.

Participants over 55 were less likely to choose evolution over other groups.

This somehow doesn't surprise me. I would be interested in seeing this study broken down into specific age demographics. I bet you would see very different results in a younger group than an older one.

God....old people are dumb.

They're still more favorable to evolution than Americans, I'll bet.

The only difference between us and the advanced cultures of the past that were destroyed by fundamentalism is that we have electricity. How many thousands of years was it before we rediscovered anesthetized surgery?

A lot of peole in Europe are still religious, especially those not in Scandinavia/Holland.

The differnce is that few of them are fundies and people preaching at you are hard to find. They don't show themselves as much as in the US, I think. but they still believe the same old BS.

Guest thirstforknowledge

A rather alarming survey reveals UK does not show a superior level of science education, what is it about the English speaking world why are we going backwards?

I'm somewhat of a skeptic when it comes to this poll.

Everyone I know in the UK says that evolution is widely accepted, and only a small small percent put any stock in ID or Creationism.

What's the difference between Creationism and Intelligent Design?

There is a difference. But basically, to put it the simplest way possible, ID is Creationism trying to be scientific.

what is it about the English speaking world why are we going backwards?

*has heard the news*

*has started already to polish his jackboots*

*is currently starting re-assembly of a JU-87 B2... aaah, the goo' ol' times...*

(cynical, yes... but hey, I'm not yet used to that kind of lunacy in my very neighborhood...)

How many thousands of years was it before we rediscovered anesthetized surgery?

Let's see... Imperial Rome... a rough estimate of two millennia won't be too far off.

Not my brits....... :(

Merlin