Goodbye Jesus

Christian Friends

Penguin

Guest Furball

The largest group of people I know personally is probably CINOs. 

Catholic/Christian In Name Only: I wish that I knew more of those.

What is a CINO?

• Super Moderator

What is a CINO?

Figure it out from TF's post or you'll be cast into the lake of fire. zDuivel7.gif

One of my good friends is an atheist, always was, as she always had a scientific approach to life.

My other good friend is catholic, and her husband converted after 20+ years of their marriage, to buddhism.  At least one of their older kids also converted and some stayed catholic.  This was happening in her family when we met, so that's why I know her views on religion!  My friend and her husband worked through their own feelings on religion, and his conversion (which upset her mainly because he didn't tell her until well after the fact), and they are doing well in their marriage and are supportive of each other.

Mainly I don't know what people's religious views are and I rarely share mine.

I have no friends from my years in church.

My ex-husband was always atheist.  My current husband is xian, but doesn't attend church or have very specific beliefs other than "there must be something bigger than us."

• Like 1

Guest Furball

What is a CINO?

Figure it out from TF's post or you'll be cast into the lake of fire. zDuivel7.gif

got it

• Super Moderator

Whew! I really hate damning people to the lake of fire!

Been thinking about this.

I'm not particularly generous in terms of whom I regard as "friends".  Am I friends with the people with whom I work?  I am "friendly" within the office - but have no intention of allowing any of them into my personal life.  They are acquaintances only.  Am I friends with the Christians I know?  I am less friendly than with my colleagues, and save where family ties demand it, I see little of them and would not confide anything of importance to them (hardly even to the ones to whom I am related).

I would say I have very few friends (and that is not a plea for sympathy; it's a statement of fact and something I regard as entirely proper for me) and none of them (save Mrs Ellinas) is a Christian.

I have Xtian friends that were part of my Xtian life, but really only facebook friends at this point.  I don't have many real life friends, the woman I'm closest to is not religious, and most of my family isn't either.  One of my brothers in evangelical - just got ordained as a bishop in his church in fact - but he knows I don't believe any more and so we don't talk religion.  I almost forget sometimes that people in tis age still believe any of it and am dumbfounded that they can just dismiss advances in science, psychology, sociology, and all the rest to hoid on to their laughable beliefs.  Well, they're laughable until those people try to beat the rest of us over the head with them.

"What a friend we have in Jesus"

"What a friend we have in Jesus"

Suddenly I feel a tad nauseous...

• Like 1

Yes, but since I haven't told any of them that I don't believe any more I don't know for how much longer. Of course, they'll "still love me" but I know they'll try to bring me back to the fold because it's "the best expression of their love" and I know things will change because how couldn't they.

Needless to say, I'm hardly feeling enthusiastic about the conversation when I eventually do have it :-(

:-(

I'm very fortunate in this regard. Despite going to a Catholic High School, I have very few Christian friends. And the two that I have are awesome about stuff, they are of the 'Everybody goes to Heaven' and 'Gay people are cool' train of thought. 

When I made it clear i wasn't temporarily struggling and actually intended on going away from the church, my friends evaporated. i was stupid in being quite open

with my beliefs and questions early on in my doubting phase, and realised too late i didn't know any actual atheists to fall back on. some friends were pretty good and i would have liked to stay friends with them, but thats just how things worked out.

If i had a person i really liked and would like to be friends with, and he/she wasn't an asshole, i would probably lie and say i go to a small house church and just never bring up the topic of faith and beliefs.

Bible humpers.

Some typos are awesome! ;)

Whew! I really hate damning people to the lake of fire!

You'd make a lousy candidate for a deity, then. ;)

Not anymore. All the xtian friends I thought I had vanished into thin air when I left that church for good. 

Same here. Non that I know of and those I knew disappeared out of my life over time. Some right away, others just never bothered to call and I never bothered to call them either...

I live in a pretty secular world here. And I am glad that it is this way. Only one person who thinks needs to challenge me once in a while when I post some critical stuff on Facebook. But it is the random shit and pretty easy to deal with. Usually.