Goodbye Jesus

Gone To Bible College

SkepticOfBible

How many people out here had gone to a bible college, and had lost faith in christianity after coming out it?

You can count me in. I attended East Texas Baptist University soon after my conversion in 1985 for a year. I started questioning my faith there.

For those who never went to a Bible college, how does it differ from a standard college of university? While I expect there to be about the same amount of bullshit flying around, I figure it is a different flavor there, or something along those lines.

I started questioning in private Christian high school. Not exactly the same thing, I know.

Hey, believe it or not... I went to a pretty cool seminary! Initially, I didn't even want to go there!

My teacher tried to tell me that the flood of Noah's Ark was just a metaphor... and I didn't believe him at the time! He taught me about the deep teachings below the writings of KJV. He'd of loved the people here! :wicked:

My teacher tried to tell me that the flood of Noah's Ark was just a metaphor...

he sure must have had a tough time debating YEC. Do you have any online debates from him?

Is this the same teacher who passed away?

Guest beanheel

i went to johnson bible college (knoxville, tn) for two years. my process of losing faith began in my sophomore year, and i didn't go back. it was actually diffiicult not to go back, because religious or not, there were quite a lot of really good people there.

My teacher tried to tell me that the flood of Noah's Ark was just a metaphor...

he sure must have had a tough time debating YEC. Do you have any online debates from him?

Is this the same teacher who passed away?

:)Pritishd... who is the YEC?

Yes, this very humble teacher is the one who passed away in 1998. No, he wasn't online at all. He was not traditional! He took people where they were, and challenged everything we thought... even though we never knew if he agreed with us or not!!! He was able to move people subtly, one step at a time. His talent in subjective experiences were tremendously remarkable! He was setting up a belief opposing the self-righteous religous right, yet he did it in such a way I didn't realize it till after I graduated! Moreso since I've been here!

He had 5 core classes he presented through Biblical scripture, although you didn't have to agree with him... just research it and think about it. This is what I got out of each of these classes.

1. 'God' is the force of order behind all things.

2. Forgiveness of ALL by understanding that everyone is doing their best in life and can only do their best, yet done without condoning or excusing the disrespectful behavior. Accountability still stands. The devil is only a metaphor for that temptation to act on a belief existing in us, and if we act on it we will receive the consequences of it till we don't do it any more! Part of a purification process in our lives.

3. There is no eternal hell, and everyone is eventually ending in the same place of peace and joy.

4. We are ALL one, with many paths to enlightenment.

5. We too are gods, ALL of us.

I didn't go to a bible college but I was a religion major. my professers were pretty liberal, one was a universelist and another called himeself a "Budhist Chrsitian"

Any way, at the time I thought a lot of the stuff they taught was wrong, but after I starting doubting the xian religion I was able to use what I hade learned to go back and study christianity and other religions on my own.