Goodbye Jesus

Increased Recovery Of Mental Illness? How Many Have Experienced This?

Autumn2909

My mental health got worse after I left. Although I rejected the super natural skydaddy bit, I still felt Christian teachings were full of wisdom and should be lived by. So there I was, trying to live up to impossible Christian ideals by transcribing them to the day to day, without the delusion of having supernatural help. They were some of the hardest times in my life.

I only got better after I rejected Christian ideology outright and started to follow Marlene Winell's idea of nurturing your inner child (maybe this is a general therapy thing).

I would say the biggest helpful components in these ideas are:

1) Going for what you really want, rather than what you think you SHOULD want. Easy to say but hard to do as I had been conditioned by Christianity to constantly ignore myself and my inner yearnings and follow the teachings of the church and bible. Despite what I had been led to believe by Christianity, it turned out my inner yearnings weren't depraved (well 98% of them anyhow!), but totally acceptable in society and actually really healthy.

2) Reading the Bible and learning about Christianity through a critical historical perspective. This totally debunked its authority and helped me get my mind around Christian concepts that had troubled me. I also discovered that a lot of what I thought was gospel / important were based on the arguments made by people through time, often fixed through political power and about as far away from supernaturally inspired divine revelation as you can get.

I also found it important to look after the source of my wellbeing ie. my body by eating and sleeping well and getting regular exercise. Most of this is obvious (don't eat fried and processed foods, exercise moderately etc)... what wasn't obvious was how much difference taking 1000mg + of Omega 3 made to my mood. If you aren't taking them, try some capsules for a few days and see if it helps.

Also, vitamin d is so important. Especially in northern climates and in the winter. My sister the nurse said doctors dont even test for vitamin d deficiency. They assume you are. A word of caution..if you get your omega 3 from fish oil be careful, it has vitamin d as well so dont overdose. I took 2000iu of d3 every morning all winter. didnt get sick once. Not even the sniffles.

Also d3 is better than d2.

There really isnt a downside, 200 pills for $8. Thats 3 months supply. $32 A year.

One thing I gained when I deconverted was better skepticism skills and an appreciation for the scientific method and how to assess the quality of evidence for depression "treatments" and dietary advice.  There is some really good information about this at www.sciencebasedmedicine.org

I completely lost control at the very end of my belief, and this was simply casual belief at best by then. I had to deal with a misdiagnosis of bipolar disorder, and accepted it at face value for six years until I found the right therapist who helped me identify my PTSD. I still deal with on again off again depression, but my bouts rarely last more than a few days now, and I'm in total control while in those funks. It's a good feeling to know that I'm capable. I'm not destined to be a basket case forever as some would have liked to keep me thinking.

• Like 1

One thing I gained when I deconverted was better skepticism skills and an appreciation for the scientific method and how to assess the quality of evidence for depression "treatments" and dietary advice.  There is some really good information about this at www.sciencebasedmedicine.org

The scientific evidence supporting the consumption of Omega 3 as being beneficial to overall health isn't controversial.  People on western diets aren't getting enough of it.  It is also known to be essential for proper brain function (also not controversial).  Its effect on depression is in debate, but it's one of those things where you can't really lose.  Its good for your health and having a steady Omega 3 intake is something recommended by the UK government (their eat 2 portions of fish, of which one should be oily fish advice).  Paying heed won't hurt.  Listening to those scientific studies that DO support the increased consumption of Omega 3 as alleviating the symptoms of depression has really helped me.

I should also say, in extension to my previous post, once I ditched Christianity in its entirety, I started to feel a happiness and general contentment I had not known since my conversion at the age of 10.  I still remember the first time I felt a sense of overall wellbeing and happiness.  It lasted all day, then through the next week, through work, through arguments and paying bills, and it hasn't really ever left.  Its become the default state, nudged this way and that by life, but somewhere I naturally settle and adjust back to.  In the end all the struggle and pain of deconversion was totally worth it... not that it was a choice mind.  And yes I had been taking 1000mg + of Omega 3's.  Lol.

I also take mental health to be like physical health.  I may not be injured any more but still feel there is a way to go before I can consider myself mentally fit.

When I was a Christian I could at least have some hope in God putting things in order one day, but now I'm way more pessimistic about the future of humanity, we're the shittiest of all animals and at never-ending war with ourselves. When I hear about people dying in plane crashes I think good, fuck em, they're probably assholes anyway.

As hard as it sometimes was to have faith in God, having faith in people is way harder!

Yes tremendous changes.

First. I don't feel like I am living unconsciously in sin or being not right with God or have not forgiven enough or whatever puts the blame on me for being depressed. So I can be depressed without feeling bad and guilty about it.

Second. I can accept the emotions that overwhelm me from time to tome as just that...without that notion of having to pray or fight it away.

This two lead to more acceptance of who I truly am and therefore also appreciate that I have made it thus far despite my emotional problems...I am still standing and a lot of people dealing with this desperation that has me every other month or so are not with us anymore.

All this leads to less stress and I guess it also takes tension out of it which means those emotional attacks are not as crazy as they have been even though they are still crazy enough to seek help...and that is actually the next point.

Third. I finally am open to seek help and see if medications would be helpful in the process. Something I thought about while back in religion but was afraid of because I thought it would be against God and his promises etc.

And fourth. My self esteem has gone up so much since I just accepted myself the way I am instead of constantly strive for change...and since I decided to trust myself instead of imaginary friends or other people who seem to have better understanding of imaginary friends than I do because they have studied theology or are just those very spiritual people promoted by people who studied theology...

So, my mental health has increased to the point where I can see more clearly what is character flaw I need to work on and what is probably genetic and needs a different approach. And I am way more accepting towards myself and therefore towards others :-).

The scientific evidence supporting the consumption of Omega 3 as being beneficial to overall health isn't controversial.  People on western diets aren't getting enough of it.  It is also known to be essential for proper brain function (also not controversial).  Its effect on depression is in debate, but it's one of those things where you can't really lose.  Its good for your health and having a steady Omega 3 intake is something recommended by the UK government (their eat 2 portions of fish, of which one should be oily fish advice).  Paying heed won't hurt.  Listening to those scientific studies that DO support the increased consumption of Omega 3 as alleviating the symptoms of depression has really helped me.

I should also say, in extension to my previous post, once I ditched Christianity in its entirety, I started to feel a happiness and general contentment I had not known since my conversion at the age of 10.  I still remember the first time I felt a sense of overall wellbeing and happiness.  It lasted all day, then through the next week, through work, through arguments and paying bills, and it hasn't really ever left.  Its become the default state, nudged this way and that by life, but somewhere I naturally settle and adjust back to.  In the end all the struggle and pain of deconversion was totally worth it... not that it was a choice mind.  And yes I had been taking 1000mg + of Omega 3's.  Lol.

I also take mental health to be like physical health.  I may not be injured any more but still feel there is a way to go before I can consider myself mentally fit.

Until the effect of Omega 3 on depression is adequately studied, I will remain skeptical and save my money (it costs hundreds of dollars a year for the quality stuff).  So I disagree with "you can't really lose". You lose the money, you support an unscientific, unregulated industry, and some of those taking it may be avoiding medical treatment.  Unregulated supplements have no assurance of the level or type of active ingredient.  Getting nutrients from food is usually adequate and safe.

UK government recommendations have no credibility in my eyes while they are using taxpayer money to provide free homeopathy in the NHS.  

Until the effect of Omega 3 on depression is adequately studied, I will remain skeptical and save my money (it costs hundreds of dollars a year for the quality stuff).  So I disagree with "you can't really lose". You lose the money, you support an unscientific, unregulated industry, and some of those taking it may be avoiding medical treatment.  Unregulated supplements have no assurance of the level or type of active ingredient.  Getting nutrients from food is usually adequate and safe.

UK government recommendations have no credibility in my eyes while they are using taxpayer money to provide free homeopathy in the NHS.  

Agreed!  Eating a portion of oily fish a day, especially the smaller ones like sardines, herring and anchovy, that haven't had time to build up toxins would be even better.

Yes the oils are quite expensive but they will be affordable for a lot of people.  Many of the Omega 3 oils from the top 10 in this list: https://labdoor.com/rankings/fish-oil would set you back £100 - £150 a year (or NZ $200 - $300).   Not too expensive.  1 days salary for most.

I found cheap capsules to have no effect (they always have less than 1000mg of DHA and EPA),  one brand made me feel ill, so you are also right in that you have to be careful in an unregulated industry like this.

Although I would agree that they won't work for everyone, I think we will have to disagree on the efficacy of Omega 3's.  While I'm not saying they are a magic bullet, I found my recovery was based on the the culminative effects of lots of little changes, and the Omega 3's were a component of this.  

As someone who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD, I wouldn't say religion caused that for me, but made it so much worse than it could of been. there is a factor of lack of information on mental problems, because your peers all tell you to "have faith" or "trust in god more" if you ever hint that your struggling. I had no idea what OCD even was until a year after my deconversion.

some denominations or religions completely ignore psychology and associated fields completely, preferring to explain it away as demons. i'm lucky i didn't belong to one of those denominations.

also, i would like to say that my faith in god did cause a lot of the psychological problems i have today, such as frequent depression and complete confusion when it comes to socializing with friends. today iI usually spend half my wages of therapy which is helping, but i feel angry at not having a shot to experience life normally for all those years i was a christian and all the effects my former faith has on me today.

to properly answer the question, when i first left religion properly (no more going to church, moving away from my religious family and friends) I felt so free and light-weight on the inside. the symptoms of my OCD were dramatically reduced at first and i was almost never depressed. somedays my mental disorders and problems can feel like swimming/drowning in an ocean but religion was an anchor tied to my feet, dragging me down below the surface.

I am so much happier today, and feel like things are getting better (slowly) rather than worse.

As someone who suffers from obsessive compulsive disorder or OCD, I wouldn't say religion caused that for me, but made it so much worse than it could of been. there is a factor of lack of information on mental problems, because your peers all tell you to "have faith" or "trust in god more" if you ever hint that your struggling. I had no idea what OCD even was until a year after my deconversion.

some denominations or religions completely ignore psychology and associated fields completely, preferring to explain it away as demons. i'm lucky i didn't belong to one of those denominations.

also, i would like to say that my faith in god did cause a lot of the psychological problems i have today, such as frequent depression and complete confusion when it comes to socializing with friends. today iI usually spend half my wages of therapy which is helping, but i feel angry at not having a shot to experience life normally for all those years i was a christian and all the effects my former faith has on me today.

to properly answer the question, when i first left religion properly (no more going to church, moving away from my religious family and friends) I felt so free and light-weight on the inside. the symptoms of my OCD were dramatically reduced at first and i was almost never depressed. somedays my mental disorders and problems can feel like swimming/drowning in an ocean but religion was an anchor tied to my feet, dragging me down below the surface.

I am so much happier today, and feel like things are getting better (slowly) rather than worse.

I guess unless a psychologist tells you that you have OCD you are not really interested in studying it to know what it really is. Maybe if you deal with someone or have a kid also raises the interest.

My psychologist told me she sees traits of OCD and borderline personality and when she told me that I felt a bit weird. I did not dig into it really deep because it still seems a bit weird. But everyone I talk to about it is like: What? No, not you. And while I myself am doubtful of this it still feels as if they have just this picture of a crazy person in mind and think someone who has such a disorder would clearly be known as such.

Also when I talk to people I often hear that I am such a balanced person. And it makes me think, if they only knew what is going on on the inside of me. It has made me afraid of being close to people because what if they find out the true me. But I am moving out of that attitude because I am just the way I am and if I have to live with the true me and am able to do so, others can too. Turns out, people are really great and on my worst days I experience much love.

God never did make anything better, glad I finally eviscerated that figment of my imagination.

That statement makes me sad, as i was told that god 'would' make things better. You would think that if god existed he would be there for you as he says he would. But he was never there for me. That was the hardest thing to deal with during my deconversion, other than the fear of hell, was the fact that god was supposed to be there for me and help me, and he never did. Your absolutely right outside, i too am glad to have finally gotten that imaginary tyrant out of my thinking. -peace/cat

I couldn't agree more.  Never experiencing that help and peace from him in hard times was one of the things that led to my de-conversion.

My depression changed. I no longer feel the guilt or self-hatred I did when I was a Christian. But now certain life circumstances keep me from moving past my depression. The funny part is...it is partially regret over the consequences of past choices (which were influenced by religion) and partially because of current circumstances out of my control (which are influenced by religion). So even though I am free, Christianity is still negatively affecting my life and mental well being.

What you said... Still suffering the effects of bad decisions due to religious beliefs

I'm right there with you.  Right now, the best and easiest thing in my life is not having to play mental gymnastics to fit everything into a xian worldview and do all the daily devo stuff.  However, after being a xian my whole life my whole life is consumed by xians and people who know that I am a xian (well, now they just think I am).  I am married to a fundie so I can't get away from most of it and all of my friends are fundies.  I am currently trying to find new friends, but it takes time to build a relationship and I haven't even really met anyone yet.  Even everyone at my job thinks I am a xian and most of them are xians.  I know that it will get better once I can extract some of the xian from my life, but until then it contributes to my depression.

When I was a kid I thought that god was just testing me every time I got depressed. I thought atheist/non believers didn't get depressed because god wasn't testing them or Satan wanted to keep them happy. when I left I found the same problems existed even without a god, so not long after i began searching for information through the internet, then professionals after that, found out there are perfectly normal and fixable (for the most part) reasons for being unnecessarily sad, ones that don't end the conversation with "you need to have more faith".

For my (religious time) experience, the recovery was getting emotionally high on Sundays/Fridays, thinking God would look after me and make things better because i had more faith in him than last week. by the the time Monday was through, the same problems came back because the basic formula hadn't changed one bit. just using all your effort on a cycle that's digging the hole deeper every time you do it.

I thought atheist/non believers didn't get depressed because god wasn't testing them or Satan wanted to keep them happy. 

Oh yes, that has been used as an explanation...like Satan did not want people to be unhappy because then they would start seek God and realize how Satan was real. But he wanted to get Christians away from God and therefore was allowed to attack them to see if their faith was strong enough. And God approved this because God of course was only interested in people who could stand with him in the bad times as well as in the good times. Also there was no need to attack the people that already where on Satans side, they would suffer eternal torment anyways so they payed eternal torment with a happy life on earth while christians payed their ticket to heaven where there was no pain and no suffering anymore with their agony here on earth...

It still blows my mind how "perfect" this religion has made it all to justify EVERYTHING...

• Like 1