Goodbye Jesus

10 Christ-Like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus

Guest Furball

I could be wrong, and I'm sure there are members here that are experts in this, but I don't think the Christ like claims are as solid as that site claims.

They left out Moses. 

They left out Moses. 

They should also include the original Jesus - Joshua.

Socrates has been likened to Christ in a number of ways (some more or less convincing as parallels)

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/551948/Socrates/233647/The-legacy-of-Socrates

I tend to agree with one view I came across a while back, however.  Rather than worrying about the will of the Lord, asking oneself "what would Socrates do" is generally preferable...

I too have read that the Christ-like parallels are not as clear as this list presents, so I guess it's something to look up.

As for the list... I think Odysseus is a stretch (especially compared to the others who are eerily similar), but I had to laugh out loud at the comparison of the disciples of Jesus to the companions of Odysseus: "unfaithful and dim-witted companions who display tragic flaws."

Even when I was believer, I secretly thought the disciples seemed kind of obtuse, but I figured they were from a small town and were uneducated simple folks (which is why Jesus chose them = humble, or maybe just easy to impress/manipulate?). For example, they ask Jesus to explain parables which, in my mind, do not need explanation -- but maybe that's because I have been exposed to them often from a young age. But still, none of them seem that complicated, really. And arguing about who is going to sit next to Jesus in heaven, and stuff like that.

I too have read that the Christ-like parallels are not as clear as this list presents, so I guess it's something to look up.

As for the list... I think Odysseus is a stretch (especially compared to the others who are eerily similar), but I had to laugh out loud at the comparison of the disciples of Jesus to the companions of Odysseus: "unfaithful and dim-witted companions who display tragic flaws."

Even when I was believer, I secretly thought the disciples seemed kind of obtuse, but I figured they were from a small town and were uneducated simple folks (which is why Jesus chose them = humble, or maybe just easy to impress/manipulate?). For example, they ask Jesus to explain parables which, in my mind, do not need explanation -- but maybe that's because I have been exposed to them often from a young age. But still, none of them seem that complicated, really. And arguing about who is going to sit next to Jesus in heaven, and stuff like that.

For Odysseus the link is mostly with the Gospel of Mark.  But don't look for it to be identical.  Instead look for the Jesus of Mark out performing Odysseus.  For example Jesus meeting the man of the tombs is Odysseus facing the cyclops.  It's not identical but the stories have similar structure and events.