Goodbye Jesus

The Audacity!

Guest Serenity

Guest Serenity

My ds played Spartan on PS2 and an interest gets sparked for learning about the Greeks. So, I'm at Barnes and Noble with my children and we're picking up D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths. I was discussing with my children how hypocritical it is that Christianity is considered a "true" religion while some others are classified as merely myths. Right at the counter I see a book about Mother Earth and Father Sky which is a book published by Barnes and Noble and I grab that too, because the Greek book speaks about Mother Earth, too.

Anyway, minding my OWN business we walk out to the parking lot and we're opening up the car to get in and a man approaches me. He says,"Um, Miss, did I hear you say you are going to teach your children about Greek and other gods?" (Okay, I'm thinking, 'where the hell did this guy come from?' because I DID NOT see him in or out of the store)

I said, "Yes."

Then he says, "Well, you know there is only one TRUE god and it is the God of the KJV Bible."

I reply, "I was a Christian for 35 years, I don't believe anymore."

He remarks, "Roman Catholic?" (I can see where this is going, they are the false beast church)

I say, "No. A protestant Christian, I've studied the bible and believe it's a myth."

Then he says, "You need to be right with god and born again."

I say, "I was born right the first time."

He fumbles, "um-um, well-uh."

Me: "I've studied the bible and the Messiah was to come and do everything right the first, Jesus did not do that, he's not the Jewish Messiah."

Him: "Um-um, well, hmmm-interesting."

Me: "I don't want anything to do with Christianity. Nice talking with you."

Him: "You know, he's comin' back."

Me: "Yeah, that was said over two thousand years ago. Bye."

:vent::vent::vent: You know, that really pissed me off (and I was VERY polite by the way). UGH!! My kids are like, "All right mom." But seriously, WTF business was it of his that my children are learning about other gods? I want my children to develop their OWN thoughts about religion and by them learning about other religions they WILL see a pattern and the WILL see that Christianity and Judaism are no different that other MYTHS.

There are so many things I thought of on the drive home that I "should" have said but that was my FIRST encounter like this. If I ever get approached again, I'm yanking out Psalm 137, and how utterly dispicable and vile the bible is.

Way ta go, Serenity. I don't know how you managed to stay polite, though. You probably taught your kids a ton just in that one moment.

This dick probably stalks the bookstore all day long and pounces on the customers after they leave the store. All for Jesus, by Jesus, through Jesus, in Jesus, with Jesus. For his glory.

Glad to see you got him scratching his head. Proud of you, girl.

Oh man! I think you did pretty well. I don't know if I could have been able to control myself! I think we are naturally polite because we know where they are comming from...we've been there. The things we think of to say later are the things that are usually better left unsaid! :-}

I'll tell ya though, the mood I'm in today, I would have been in this person's face! >growls< And, of course, probably regreted it later.

Wow... Serenity...

I've been accosted in Barnes and Nobel too, more than once actually.

I buy a lot of books about meditation, usually Christian mediation, but also eastern and other traditions.

More than once I've had a fundy tell me - IN Barnes and Nobel - that meditation is the "work of the devil".

I thought these were just random incidents....

Now I'm wondering if the fundies stalk the stores intentionally :scratch:

You handled it well though... I never quite know what to say.

You may be pissed off, but I'm sitting here laughing with tears in my eyes imagining that poor fool sputtering and grasping for straws. You nailed him between the eyes. And as for your children, I think you just taught them a very powerful lesson that they will never forget. When they saw you respond with strength and purpose and that idiot stood their with only tired pat responses, the lack of truth that guy was espousing was presented to them in a very meaningful way.

Way to go Serenity!

BTW, I would give my right eye to have seen my own mother put on such a performance. I think we all here wish we had a mother like you.

Way to educate your kids in more ways than one, and stand up for yourself at the same time.

Double kudos.

The funny irony is that more likely than not this guy who acosted you hasn't even read the Bible.

Serenity, you did good. I've had one encounter too, and I just wanted to get the point across that I wasn't interested, but evangelists don't get that. They keep on pushing! They're worse than telemarketers. They try to get stuck to you and not leave until you either give up and become Christian, or you have offended them so much that they run away crying. So IMO, you managed it well.

I wonder if maybe the "this country allows freedom of religion" is the best answer?

Next time it happens to me, I'm going to try to politely ask them to leave, and if they don't I might talk to the store management.

Once I was approached at a parking lot outside a bank, but before we got into discussion (the guy was really weird btw), a manager from the bank came out and told the person to leave, because the bank didn't approve soliciting of any kind outside.

Maybe if B&N get enough complaints they will establish the same rules?

I wonder if maybe the "this country allows freedom of religion" is the best answer?

Next time it happens to me, I'm going to try to politely ask them to leave, and if they don't I might talk to the store management.

Once I was approached at a parking lot outside a bank, but before we got into discussion (the guy was really weird btw), a manager from the bank came out and told the person to leave, because the bank didn't approve soliciting of any kind outside.

Maybe if B&N get enough complaints they will establish the same rules?

HanSolo.... I just have to ask... have you been solicited at Barnes and Nobel as well?

Yeah, it is irritating when fundies get pushy in public. I've found that it's useless to debate them because it is like banging your head on a brick wall. You won't be able to change their minds. Only they can change it themselves.

HanSolo.... I just have to ask... have you been solicited at Barnes and Nobel as well?

Nope. But at a restaurant and outside a bank.

I wonder too if they see B&N as a good place for witnessing?

Nope. But at a restaurant and outside a bank.

I wonder too if they see B&N as a good place for witnessing?

It is a good question - I've been hit up 2 times in B&N.

I've always figured B&N was a nice place to go hang out and read what I wanted to, there's a more "liberal" environment in the one I go to.

If it happens again I am going to talk with the management.

EXCELLENT job, Serenity! Way to stump a fundie! Glory!

I still have a Barnes & Noble gift card from Christmas that I need to spend. If I get accosted by a fundie in the store, I might just shove it up his ass. It would be $15.00 well spent! Glory to GAWD!!

Him: "You know, he's comin' back."

Me: "Yeah, that was said over two thousand years ago. Bye."

:3::fdevil:

That wasn't captured by some security cam or similar, by any chance? I'd love to see the footage then... :wicked:

I also find it really bizarre, and sad in ways, that at a place of knowledge people like this guy express such a lack of knowledge when there's oodles of it so close by.

Fundies love bookstores. They draw many different folks there who have all sorts of interests. People who go to B&N and the like are people who like to read and enjoy learning things, so fundies think they have an open window to trick people into learning about their cult. It's good old strategic evangelizing.

No one's bugged me in quite some time. About ten years ago, I used to have the occasional Jehoover's Witness nag me at a nearby shopping plaza, but I don't see her wobbling around there anymore. Today, everyone leaves the big, pissed-off looking guy alone, so I can walk to and from Borders and sip my coffee w/ espresso in peace. Sheep don't sniff at a wolf's ass normally.

Serenity, that was a job well done! I love the way you handled the cultist and your responses were simple and effective. He's probably got what you said in the back of his mind right now, and I bet that in a few years your words will still nag at him. I wouldn't be surprised if he came on here saying how a non-xian woman told him off in a parking lot and that was like the pin popping the bubble he was living in.

Maybe I'm just being a dreamer, but that would be nice. Anyway, your response was rather inspirational to me, and I will remember it in case people try nagging me for Jesus. And Brothah Jeff ought to preach your response - I think that would be a riot!

Hmmm.... You know... I am getting thoughts of picking up a Magic Spells book, and just as a fundy like that approaches me, book flies open and I "cast" whatever interesting spell I find on him.

Great Job Serenity on keeping your cool. I don't know if I could have keep myself from going off on that idiot!

"Then he says, "Well, you know there is only one TRUE god and it is the God of the KJV Bible."

Fundies who follow the KJV only are the scariest and worst type of fundie in my experience, even when I was a christian! It's as if they worship the "Book" instead of the mythical god. AV1611.org is a good example of their stupidity and hatred. Anyway, you go girl!

Hmmm.... You know... I am getting thoughts of picking up a Magic Spells book, and just as a fundy like that approaches me, book flies open and I "cast" whatever interesting spell I find on him.

It might be easier to just use the "evil eye" (you know, glare at them really hard). Most spells I've seen require components like candles and things, and the store might protest the burning of candles if the fire alarm goes off...

It might be easier to just use the "evil eye" (you know, glare at them really hard). Most spells I've seen require components like candles and things, and the store might protest the burning of candles if the fire alarm goes off...

Or.... you could give them the "evil eye" and throw the book, itself, at them :)

Serenity...

The Professional Paranoiac kicks in now...

This wound up hair trigger nutcase salvationist finds you doing your ting and elects to 'save you". When rebuffed, the crazy sonofabitch accosts you and/or kids..

Be prepared and aware lady, keep your mind ready and never relax in a public venue, as some mind_loose can faind his way to "fixing you for god" or such.

The Instructor in me warns students to allow an eight foot space around when at all possible, to give time to assess, act and react to being approached by strangers.

Glad all the whack wanted was to talk. This time.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I'll be pissed to hear a friend and children hurt by sectarian bullshitters.. Ever.

k, NRA Cert'd Instructor, Personal Protection Coach, Perfessuhnunal Paranoiac, L

Serenity,

Excellect job first of all! I cannot believe that that idiot stranger would approach you and your children in the parking lot!

That would have been enough to make my adrenaline kick in. And I'm usually not happy with the people who cause that sensation. If he'd spoken to you inside the store, around store employees, it would at least have been more socially courteous. Waiting until you and your kids are alone in a parking lot....... :eek:

But then, maybe things are different where you live.....I dunno. My city has had a lot of bad things take place starting in parking lots.

And I noted the greek myths book you picked up. I've had a copy of that book since I was a very little girl! I'm very happy it's still in print (ooooh warm fuzzies!).

I've got a Firefly quote for just such an occasion as that disrespectful fundie too:

"Just keep walkin' preacher." - River Tam

Nivek makes a pretty good point.

Too bad that, instead of a dose of rationality, Serenity didn't give him a face full of pepper-spray. That would have made the story even better.

There are so many things I thought of on the drive home that I "should" have said but that was my FIRST encounter like this. If I ever get approached again, I'm yanking out Psalm 137, and how utterly dispicable and vile the bible is.

I think you did an amazing Job (haha) of it. It didn't look like he had too much to say.

And I thought it was irritating when I pull into a bank to deposit my paycheck only to find a JW flyer in the chute, at least, I have not had this experience yet.