Goodbye Jesus

Atheist Persecution

Brother Jeff

I just gotta say that it's pretty ironic that Christians have this huge persecution complex when they have churches on every corner, and they can say whatever they want, no matter how offensive or hateful it is, with little in the way of serious consequences. But let an atheist speak up, and the real persecution begins, which I experience on Facebook quite frequently. My views, regardless of the fact that they have great merit and can be easily backed up with a great deal of evidence and facts, are not wanted or welcomed. Christians can say whatever they want to all day long without fear of reprisal, but if I say anything I'm ranting or using hate speech, and I just need to STFU and respect the feelings of my Christian friends.

Who, exactly, is being persecuted here? I rest my case...

• Like 3

Because you don't know the truth as they do! How dare you spread your evil evil lies about there being no god! HOW DARE YOU!

Glory I say!

• Like 1

573175689_c5d5c31d7a_o-300x224.jpg

Basically their logic.

• Like 1

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigotryprejudice/a/AtheitsHated.htm

From the article: The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election... The most recent study was conducted by the University of Minnesota, which found that atheists ranked lower than "Muslims, recent immigrants, gays and lesbians and other minority groups in 'sharing their vision of American society.' Atheists are also the minority group most Americans are least willing to allow their children to marry."

Atheists are hated by many serious adherents of the Abrahamic religions because they challenge the core belief of all three religions - the very existence of their God. It's not just challenging some peripheral doctrine like whether babies should be baptized. Rather, it goes right for the jugular. Since they can't refute what the atheist says because they have no proof that their God actually exists, they attack the atheist personally. In so doing, the religionists unwittingly admit their inability to refute logical and rational arguments.

I just gotta say that it's pretty ironic that Christians have this huge persecution complex when they have churches on every corner, and they can say whatever they want, no matter how offensive or hateful it is, with little in the way of serious consequences. But let an atheist speak up, and the real persecution begins, which I experience on Facebook quite frequently. My views, regardless of the fact that they have great merit and can be easily backed up with a great deal of evidence and facts, are not wanted or welcomed. Christians can say whatever they want to all day long without fear of reprisal, but if I say anything I'm ranting or using hate speech, and I just need to STFU and respect the feelings of my Christian friends.

Jeff, I can see how many Christians would be offended with your writings on Christianity.  What you and I perceive as humor, they probably perceive as mockery and disdain.

Obviously, you are hitting their nerves with your writings.  Their reactions demonstrate fear and hate, which is their problem, not yours.

Well - mockery and disdain actually can be quite funny.  And Christians are more than happy to use those as attacks on non Christians, atheist or otherwise.  If they are happy to dish it out, they need to be prepared to take it as well.

There are people (and I know some of them) who will pointedly ignore and ostracize anyone who turns against their faith but who fear that they are under attack if others don't want to consort with them because of their insistence on preaching.  People who will laugh at evolutionists for believing that creatures weren't magically spirited out of nothing 6,000 years ago but who see the attacks of the devil in anyone who ridicules their refusal to face plain evidence.  People who will stand in the street thundering about how gays are going to hell but who consider themselves righteously suffering if prosecuted for causing gratuitous offence.

To be honest, these deserve all they get in terms of opposition, and even ridicule.

• Like 1

Actually, I was thinking about this since my last post; this sort of impacts on something I recall posting quite some time ago.  I also was concerned by the persecution complex, or fortress mentality, of Christians.

This is a religion that teaches that those who "live godly" will suffer.  That persecution is to be expected if one is "faithful".  Men (in their "unsaved" state) and god are at enmity, therefore those that follow the religion the more faithfully expect the most opposition in this world.

Practically, that means that Christians are always looking for something, anything, that can be interpreted as persecution, as that is a validation of their religion generally and of their spirituality personally.

When I posted on this before it was to the effect that I wondered to what extent direct opposition could be counter productive.  There's almost a catch-22: oppose and give Christians the excuse to validate their own prejudices, or say nothing and give Christians the satisfaction of feeling unassailable.

In the end, I would conclude that speaking against the excesses of Christianity is not done so much to undermine the Christian faithful as to assist those struggling to free themselves from or who are in danger of being entrapped in that system.  That being the case, all power to your efforts, Brother Jeff.

• Like 1

This is one of the many aspects of Christianity that has bothered me since before I could admit to myself I no longer believed in Jeebus. They cannot handle dissent, even among their own ranks (I learned this the hard way as a child when I asked my pastor to explain how all those animals could fit on the ark). I wrote the following a few weeks ago during a sleepless night, intending to post it to facebook the next day, but I chickened out (only my husband and one of my sisters knows I've deconverted).

Isn't it ironic that the people who complain the most about the threat to their religious liberty are the same ones advocating the restriction of others' freedom? What would Jesus do?!? "Never mind the poverty, war, and inequality in the world. Oh my dad, Muslims are building mosques in America! Let's wipe them damn dirty A-rabs off the planet! Legal same sex marriage AND we have to bake them cakes!?! What next, actual TOLERANCE?!--said no messiah, ever.

So glad I found this site, its been a life preserver for my sanity. Glory to you, Brother Jeff!! I say if fundamentalists can use facebook as their own personal witnessing tool, then you have every right to testify!

• Like 1

Actually, I was thinking about this since my last post; this sort of impacts on something I recall posting quite some time ago.  I also was concerned by the persecution complex, or fortress mentality, of Christians.

This is a religion that teaches that those who "live godly" will suffer.  That persecution is to be expected if one is "faithful".  Men (in their "unsaved" state) and god are at enmity, therefore those that follow the religion the more faithfully expect the most opposition in this world.

Practically, that means that Christians are always looking for something, anything, that can be interpreted as persecution, as that is a validation of their religion generally and of their spirituality personally.

When I posted on this before it was to the effect that I wondered to what extent direct opposition could be counter productive.  There's almost a catch-22: oppose and give Christians the excuse to validate their own prejudices, or say nothing and give Christians the satisfaction of feeling unassailable.

In the end, I would conclude that speaking against the excesses of Christianity is not done so much to undermine the Christian faithful as to assist those struggling to free themselves from or who are in danger of being entrapped in that system.  That being the case, all power to your efforts, Brother Jeff.

The third option might be to invite them to ask questions. Then help them to overcome their misconceptions about non-xtians. Most of them are sheep. They hear terrible things about all the non-xtians, which they just parrot. I've started to find lately that taking a positive approach yields much more positive responses.

Tell them to eat your ass.

Two of my best friends are hardcore, devout Christians - but the really great thing about them is, they don't judge me because of my skepticism. They just go with: "That is your choice," reply, and off we go to play Xbox, or try a new restaurant, or hang out and relax as friends should. The issue never comes up between us, and while I'm sure they are secretly praying behind me that I "come back to the light", the idea that they respect my decision and still hold me in dear regard is wonderful.

Several co-workers are like this as well, worried that since I'm a good person, I should return. But that being said, they don't press the issue. I have no problem with people knowing I'm an atheist, because most will know that I respect their decisions to believe. I just ask for the same in return. But I have had just as many people destroy friendships, walk out of my life, and even openly insult my intelligence because I left faith behind. Atheists get the brunt of the flak in the world for it: Remember, it's us god-less heathens that are destroying this world.

unholy_trinity3.jpg

Atheists are hated by many serious adherents of the Abrahamic religions because they challenge the core belief of all three religions - the very existence of their God. It's not just challenging some peripheral doctrine like whether babies should be baptized. Rather, it goes right for the jugular. Since they can't refute what the atheist says because they have no proof that their God actually exists, they attack the atheist personally. In so doing, the religionists unwittingly admit their inability to refute logical and rational arguments.

Thankfully at least me personally I don't have to hate them.

they can keep that hate for themselves and I will continue to feel sad for their ignorance and fight against what I can actually change... which is mostly nothing but once in a while I get a chance to talk with someone and show them a different way.

hate only hurts the person hating.

Jeff, I can see how many Christians would be offended with your writings on Christianity.  What you and I perceive as humor, they probably perceive as mockery and disdain.

Obviously, you are hitting their nerves with your writings.  Their reactions demonstrate fear and hate, which is their problem, not yours.

The bible is full of nasty stuff that makes those of us who don't believe look like monsters and devils... that is pretty offensive to me.

People disagreeing with you, even virulently, is not persecution. It's free speech. Stop notifications if you want, or just laugh at whatever they post. Persecution is being harmed or jailed for expressing your thoughts.

I say if fundamentalists can use facebook as their own personal witnessing tool, then you have every right to testify!

As a man wittier than me once said, "If you think the phrase 'a witnessing tool' refers to something that’s good to have rather than someone it’s bad to be, then you might be an evangelical."

• Like 1