Goodbye Jesus

Alternatives To "faith" Jewellery?

Autumn2909

I'm curious- I used to love wearing my crosses and other Christian symbol necklaces.

Now I am trying to find alternatives to wear as private symbols of my humanist philosophy.

I have a tree that I like to wear as I'm a great lover of nature.

Do other people have alternative "religious" jewellery that they wear since deconverting?

Love the rocket-ship replacement for the fish! Hadn't seen that one before.

I sometimes wear a crystal called Moldavite, glass created when a meteor impacted the planet. Other times I'll wear a pentacle, and watch believers recoil in terror (which is odd when they are usually friendly with me). I go on like I didn't notice and behave like I normally do.

Go with an ankh if you loved wearing crosses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankh

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of a symbolic tree. I've always been drawn to trees.

I have some cross necklaces that are pretty and were decently expensive. I don't want to quit wearing because they were gifts from my deceased mother, but I also don't want them to categorize me with religion! 

I have a Mercury Dime that an artist cut out to only leave the ornamental head and letters spelling Liberty.

It's beautiful and meaningful to me

• Super Moderator

I have a Mercury Dime that an artist cut out to only leave the ornamental head and letters spelling Liberty.

It's beautiful and meaningful to me

I have earrings like that.  Love 'em!

I wear a lotus flower necklace. I know it's symbolic in some Eastern religions but I just like it because it's a flower that grows out of swamp mud. Reminds me of everything I've fought my way through to get where I am. I also like butterflies for their symbolism of transformation. Both are personal to me as symbols of personal growth and my leaving religion behind.

I tend to wear a happy humanist pendant from evolvefish.com. A tree or other nature related things sound good though.

Religious jewelry, bumper stickers for the body!

http://www.evolvefish.com/

This site has some awesome stuff. Thanks!

I have a bindrune pendant.  Not sure of its' accepted significance - I think it is regarded as some sort of protective amulet - but it reminds me of a caduceus (albeit a very stylized and rather minimalist version).  Occasionally I swap it for a pendant with a Greek key design; I also have a Greek key based bracelet.

The point however is that symbols have only the meanings we give them.  Ask yourself what symbol would hold meaning for you.  Then decide if you can live with whatever meaning others may attach to it and, by extension, the assumptions they will make of you.  As an example, the ankh mentioned above.  I would go a little further than saying that it represents eternal life as per the Wikipedia entry - "key of the otherworld" and "womb of the earth" are the associations that spring to mind and these may well be shared by others.  You would need to ask yourself whether you would you be comfortable with being identified with that range of meaning.