Goodbye Jesus

Minor Snag In Deconversion Process...help

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Wow, RenaissanceWoman.. you are inspiring! :)

I don't have children and don't have anything to add to the great advice you've already gotten. But I did want to share that I asked my parents if I could stop going to our United Methodist church when I was 10 because I didn't believe what they were teaching. We went to church primarily for social reasons anyway, so they said yes. For reasons I can't recall now, I was back at that church for the Confirmation process when I was in my early teens. I didn't think much about religion after that for a few years, other than having some interesting discussions about the Bible with my fundie neighbors. Unfortunately, I got sucked into the cult in a big way when I was 19, and I didn't get free until I was 34. Glory!

Guest sylensikeelyoo

All of you, especially you, Renaissance Woman, have given me AMAZING advice. I am going to follow you guys' advice and do this all in increments. We will keep going to church until he decides we are done. We will do activities and play dates all throughout the week to replace all of the church services except for the Sunday morning one. That's his favorite anyway. We will read other religious books, including the Koran, and we will talk about the similarities between our religion and other world religions. I will get him more books on ancient mythology and we will talk about those similarities. I love Renaissance Woman's suggestions about memorizing poetry. I think this will be an awesome summer full of discovery for my little guy and hopefully we will both learn some things. I will give you guys updates on it as we go! So far, my eight year old and I are watching Neil Degrase Tyson's Journey Through The Cosmos mini-series from the science channel. Wish me luck!