Goodbye Jesus

I Feel So Fat...

NoOne

So this is pure ranting and complaining, so I decided to post this here. It's something I've been really worried about so I decided to see if I could get some help for it.

I really think I need to lose weight. I'm 5'3" and 138.5 lbs. I actually lost a bit of weight from the last time I checked, I used to be 142 a few days ago. I don't know how I lost it tbh. I want to be between 110 and 120 lbs because I think it would be more proportional to my height. I feel like I'm going to stop growing, so I won't get a sudden growth spurt or anything like that. I've been trying to lose 20 lbs with no success. I don't think I have that much excess fat. I don't have double chins or a gut. But my thighs are really big and I don't really like that. My butt is kind of big too :/ I'm always getting made fun of for it. I'm not really thin, but I'm not overweight either. I have a lot of curves, that's the best way to describe it.

I try to be as active as possible. But I'm not an athletic person at all. I want to get into running, just to get more exercise, and I'm not really good at it. I can push myself, I try to stop when I plan to be done and not when I get tired. I have an elliptical in my basement, I'm trying to run for 10-15 minutes a day on it whenever I can. I can run the entire time which I'm proud of; but when I'm done running, I get a horrible pain in the left side of my lower stomach. My friend who does cross country says that means I need to build endurance. I don't know what I means, I should look it up though. I'm not a very strong person, so weight-lifting always hurts me in some way. I'm decent at sports, especially basketball and soccer, but only if I'm not playing in an actual game.

Eating healthy is tricky. Some days, I'm great at it. Other days I really suck. When I'm having PMS (sorry boys!), I really suck because I get a lot of cravings. The more big meals I eat, the less I snack and I think that means I won't gain as much weight but I'm not sure. I try to read labels and serving sizes, but admittedly it's not always easy or convenient to do that. I try to drink a lot of water, I've gotten better at that.

I don't have great self-esteem anyway, so this could be that side of me talking. But sometimes I feel really fat and I get really upset about it because I feel really ugly. I'm kind of worried too, because my mother is overweight and her side of the family has T2 diabetes. My father's side of the family has all these heart problems as well (I actually have a heart murmur, but it's benign; however I heard that it can be dangerous if you're unhealthy). I don't want to catch these things but I'm at a higher risk because they run in my family and I kind of worry about it a lot :(

So I don't know, my rant is over. I was wondering if I could get some advice or ideas. It's just been on my mind a lot. Thanks~

My advice is to get advice from your doctor about the health issues, if any, with your weight, diet, and activity levels.  Everyone else is talking shit.

Our culture places disproportionate pressure on girls and women to be thin and look attractive.  As we get older we realise this is bullshit and we learn to accept and value ourselves for who we are and not what we look like.  You have many talents and skills.  You are not your appearance.

More info about body image: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/body-image

• Like 1

My advice is to get advice from your doctor about the health issues, if any, with your weight, diet, and activity levels.  Everyone else is talking shit.

Our culture places disproportionate pressure on girls and women to be thin and look attractive.  As we get older we realise this is bullshit and we learn to accept and value ourselves for who we are and not what we look like.  You have many talents and skills.  You are not your appearance.

More info about body image: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/body-image

Great answer!!!

Some of the basics are avoid sugar and other fast burning carbs (bread, white rice, pastries) and instead use slow burning (low glycemic index) carbs. If the body sees fast burning carbs, it stores some of the extra energy as fat. And while it may seem counter-intuitive, fatty meat will keep you feeling full while encouraging your body to use its stored fat as energy. Paleo is one way to eat that takes this approach. I've used this approach to trim off a chubby belly. The rest is going to be activity that keeps my heart rate up for at least a half hour so the body burns fat.

Sometimes thyroid can throw the rest of the body into a tailspin. If you go to see a doc, have them check your pertinent levels to see if something is awry. I had to have half of mine removed, so I must supplement daily or things go very badly.

Actually 5 foot 3 and 139 pounds is officially normal weight.  

https://bmicalculator.cc/?gclid=COWX_Mbh6sUCFYmVfgodLZ0Arg

You have a normal body weight. Great job!

Feel free to adjust your weight simply because you want to but you are normal.  

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

You should probably consult a doctor, perhaps a cardiologist, before embarking on any diet or exercise regimen.

You should probably consult a doctor, perhaps a cardiologist, before embarking on any diet or exercise regimen.

This! Especially since you know of the heart murmur.

Also, no exercise is supposed to give you horrible pain. Weight lifting for example is supposed to feel like "burning" at most but not like your muscles are being torn apart. The solution is to use so small weights that it stimulates your muscles but doesn't hurt (and get an instructor to tell you how to do it right!!).

I was thinking this very same thing. I've known a few women around this height and weight combo and they looked perfectly fine. Very attractive, actually...

I'm guessing you look perfectly fine, too, Rockchick.

Like FTNZ says, you might possibly be feeling a social pressure that has no business being a burden to you. I remember feeling like I was overweight back in junior high and high school. Looking at my pics now, I realize that I was a freakin' stud. Get some opinions from trusted friends and family before you get too wound up about this. There's better things you could have on your mind than worrying about a nonexistent weight issue.

• Like 1

A low-sugar, low-carb, high-protein diet will help you lose weight. I'm doing my best to follow this diet:

http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Belly-Diet-Lose-lbs/dp/0345547950/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433050079&sr=1-1&keywords=zero+belly+diet

It's working well for my mother, but I haven't been doing it long enough to see real results. Love the food, though. :) 

I agree with the others who have suggested seeing a doctor before doing any hardcore exercise. Always good to be on the safe side. Glory!

I just read your profile. You're too young to be worried about this stuff. I wish you could comprehend how you are going to look back on this 10 years from now and realize it was a non-issue.

Good luck with however you decide to handle this.

• Like 5

I totally agree with Brother Fwee... 

https://bmicalculator.cc/?gclid=COWX_Mbh6sUCFYmVfgodLZ0Arg

You have a normal body weight. Great job!

Feel free to adjust your weight simply because you want to but you are normal.  

I was just about to say this exact thing. You could maybe stand to lose like 5 pounds, but you don't really need to. That's a perfectly normal, healthy weight, and I can guarantee you that most people are not looking at you and thinking that you're fat. Or, if they are, they're idiots.

Having said that, it never hurts to make positive changes in lifestyle. Eat real, healthy food and get as much exercise as you can. If it helps to plan your meals, then do that. If you want to count calories, do that. Just keep in mind that calories are not inherently bad; they're only bad if you're have too many. Ultimately, you need to find what works for you. As far as running goes, I would suggest starting with walking. Brisk walks, 30 minutes at least, once or twice a day. If it feels too easy, walk more quickly. You'll be power walking before you know it, and then its only a half step to jogging. You can always alternate jogging and walking too until you build your endurance. At 15 years old, though, you have nothing to worry about. Make one, small, positive change at a time. And please, talk to your doctor before you make any big changes.

Sounds to me like, if there is an issue, it may be more one of toning than of losing weight - in which case, check with the doctor and get on with some exercise.

If you have a serious issue with body image, some sort of therapy might help - you will have a hard time trying to change your natural and healthy body shape, which is probably fine as it is anyway.

• Like 1

www.simplesciencefitness.com

Everything you need to know right there! I did exactly what's in there and I started losing 1lb per week right away!

I would really recommend counting calories. I used an app called MyFitnessPal and it was great. I didn't realize how much I was overeating and once I downsized my portions, I was amazed at how little I could actually eat and be perfectly happy. I had been way overeating because I have brothers and I just always ate as much as them. Now I know how much I SHOULD be eating and the knowledge has done me a lot of good.

I agree that you shouldn't let body image bother you, love yourself for who you are! However, it is good to try not to be overweight or obese since that can cause so many health concerns. Good for you for trying to find a way to stay healthy! :)

Intervention studies of cardio exercise have shown that it isn't effective for weight loss. Do some physical activity for well-being and enjoyment, but not in hopes of burning off fat. And while running might not be for you, you should have more energy at your age. It's not a criticism--I just think you're doing the right thing by addressing this.

I agree with the suggestions for a low-carb diet--I've done that for five years, and at 46, I'm close to my high school weight (126 currently at 5'-4"). I agree that 138 at your height and age is a little high unless you're very athletic. I think it would be better for you to address this now rather than wait until it's a problem. A lot of comments on LC sites from people who had a lot of weight to lose (which you don't at this point) suggest that it's very difficult to slim down once you're significantly overweight. And it doesn't get easier with age. Given that, plus how many people are developing T2 diabetes at fairly young ages, and that this disease runs in your family, starting a LC diet now might be a good idea. (When I say "diet," I mean "way of eating." Not a temporary starvation program, but a lifelong eating plan you can live on and live with indefinitely in good health.)

More and more research has shown the benefits of LC diets over low-fat, but your doctor may not be hip to this. Few doctors know anything about nutrition aside from what they hear in the media--and most doctors themselves look like they're 50 pounds overweight.

Some reading before you start: Low-carb for beginners: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

My humble web site: http://relievemypain.blogspot.com

www.simplesciencefitness.com

Everything you need to know right there! I did exactly what's in there and I started losing 1lb per week right away!

I would really recommend counting calories. I used an app called MyFitnessPal and it was great. I didn't realize how much I was overeating and once I downsized my portions, I was amazed at how little I could actually eat and be perfectly happy. I had been way overeating because I have brothers and I just always ate as much as them. Now I know how much I SHOULD be eating and the knowledge has done me a lot of good.

I agree that you shouldn't let body image bother you, love yourself for who you are! However, it is good to try not to be overweight or obese since that can cause so many health concerns. Good for you for trying to find a way to stay healthy! smile.png

That website isn't working for some reason.

@Rockchick

Why do you feel fat when the numbers put you at a normal weight?  Ask yourself where is this poor self

image coming from.  You may not know the source but trust me you were not born thinking that.  It had to

come from somebody.  The first job is to have healthy self esteem.  Now you are only 15 so don't go on any

extreme diets.  Find an activity you enjoy and practice it regularly simply to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I

find the best way to eat is to enjoy things in moderation and have reasonable portions.  Learn that now and

you can avoid the mid-age spread that got most of us.  I wasn't expecting that but it hit me around 30.

I gained 45 pounds.  It took a lot of hard work and cutting down my meal size but I eventually lost that 45

pounds and got back down to the weight I had in my 20's.  Learn a healthy lifestyle now and save yourself

some stress when you are older.

• Like 2

By all means eat healthy and do a little exercise but please don't obsess over your weight, your food intake or your looks.  15 year old girls are at risk of eating disorders, as much as they might be at risk of Type 2 diabetes later in life IF they gain a lot of weight.

Most of the advice above is suitable for people over 30 or 40. 

Intervention studies of cardio exercise have shown that it isn't effective for weight loss. Do some physical activity for well-being and enjoyment, but not in hopes of burning off fat. And while running might not be for you, you should have more energy at your age. It's not a criticism--I just think you're doing the right thing by addressing this.

I agree with the suggestions for a low-carb diet--I've done that for five years, and at 46, I'm close to my high school weight (126 currently at 5'-4"). I agree that 138 at your height and age is a little high unless you're very athletic. I think it would be better for you to address this now rather than wait until it's a problem. A lot of comments on LC sites from people who had a lot of weight to lose (which you don't at this point) suggest that it's very difficult to slim down once you're significantly overweight. And it doesn't get easier with age. Given that, plus how many people are developing T2 diabetes at fairly young ages, and that this disease runs in your family, starting a LC diet now might be a good idea. (When I say "diet," I mean "way of eating." Not a temporary starvation program, but a lifelong eating plan you can live on and live with indefinitely in good health.)

More and more research has shown the benefits of LC diets over low-fat, but your doctor may not be hip to this. Few doctors know anything about nutrition aside from what they hear in the media--and most doctors themselves look like they're 50 pounds overweight.

Some reading before you start: Low-carb for beginners: http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

My humble web site: http://relievemypain.blogspot.com

I agree with you, except for the cardio exercise. I have found it VERY effective for weight loss! Makes me feel better too. :)

By all means eat healthy and do a little exercise but please don't obsess over your weight, your food intake or your looks.  15 year old girls are at risk of eating disorders, as much as they might be at risk of Type 2 diabetes later in life IF they gain a lot of weight.

There are now *children* diagnosed with T2 diabetes. And you don't have to be even a little overweight to end up diabetic (T2). There's no need to wait until age 30 or 40 to help yourself--ages when people with the genes for diabetes or overweight have typically developed those conditions. 

As for eating disorders, LC diets don't call for calorie restriction: you eat when hungry and stop when full. 

Low carb diets have a lot of health risks.  I wouldn't recommend them for a 15 year old.  Teens are still

growing.  The way to avoid diabetes is to eat sugar only in moderation.  The best food plan is to follow

the guidelines found in the modern pyramid.  Plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits.  A medium amount

of good quality carbs, a small amount of protein and limited junk food.

When I was a teen my mother talked me into restrictive fad diets and when I couldn't stand it anymore

I would binge on the forbidden food.  It is better to have something sustainable. 

• Like 2

There are now *children* diagnosed with T2 diabetes. And you don't have to be even a little overweight to end up diabetic (T2). There's no need to wait until age 30 or 40 to help yourself--ages when people with the genes for diabetes or overweight have typically developed those conditions. 

As for eating disorders, LC diets don't call for calorie restriction: you eat when hungry and stop when full. 

I realise that, but those children are freaking enormous.  We are not talking about a margin of 5lb here.  I myself have T2 diabetes, which I got at 37, after being *very* overweight for a couple of decades.  Yes I could probably have avoided this if I had lost weight earlier but yanno a binge eating disorder, yoyo dieting from age 14, and years on drugs that cause weight gain tend to make that hard.  I did however eventually lose 100lb and send my diabetes into remission.  So there.

Sheerbliss, RockChick is just 15 years old.  Please don't pressure her about her weight. She is normal and healthy and she can probably do without the scare tactics.  At her age and size and stated beliefs like "I feel so fat", the risk of an eating disorder is much more likely than T2 diabetes. If you want to talk to people about actual overweight and obesity and stuff, you might want to start a new thread.

• Like 1

Yeah, this thread has gone overboard with bad advice for this young lady. She'll more than likely end up being a hell of a lot more confused about what to do after reading everything.

Few took into consideration her age... You don't put a teenager on a low carb diet because she MIGHT be 3 or 5 lbs. heavier than you think she should be.

Good luck again, Rockchick! I haven't even seen you, and I'd be willing to bet money you look perfectly normal regardless of what most here are suggesting you do about your weight. Which by the way is completely fine.

• Like 3

I realise that, but those children are freaking enormous.  We are not talking about a margin of 5lb here.  I myself have T2 diabetes, which I got at 37, after being *very* overweight for a couple of decades.  Yes I could probably have avoided this if I had lost weight earlier but yanno a binge eating disorder, yoyo dieting from age 14, and years on drugs that cause weight gain tend to make that hard.  I did however eventually lose 100lb and send my diabetes into remission.  So there.

Sheerbliss, RockChick is just 15 years old.  Please don't pressure her about her weight. She is normal and healthy and she can probably do without the scare tactics.  At her age and size and stated beliefs like "I feel so fat", the risk of an eating disorder is much more likely than T2 diabetes. If you want to talk to people about actual overweight and obesity and stuff, you might want to start a new thread.

I addressed the OP's concerns; you seem to be projecting your own problems. I'm sorry you went through everything you did--but yoyo dieting, serious weight gain and diabetes are things a healthy LC diet without calorie restriction could help a young person avoid. And for someone of the OP's age and weight, it may be as simple as replacing sugary foods and drinks with things like water, nuts, deviled eggs, vegetables and dip, or even leftovers for a snack and having ham and eggs for breakfast instead of juice and cereal.

This article addresses concerns about LC diets: http://authoritynutrition.com/20-mainstream-nutrition-myths-debunked/

• Super Moderator

RockChick, you're too young and have too many inherited risk factors to blindly jump on some current diet fad or magic exercise routine. Please just consult your personal doctor and let him/her determine if you, specifically YOU, need any changes in your lifestyle.