Goodbye Jesus

Problems Caused By Religion

waynus

I am putting together a list of problems caused by religion as a discussion starter additional ideas etc welcomed.

The Problems caused by religion:

1) The opposition and resistance to science

2) The undemocratic control/distortion of democracy

3) Legislation of morality

4) Sexual discrimination against women

5) Control and manipulation of education

6) Advocacy of censorship

7) Abuse of children

8) Psychological problems

9) Failure to pay taxes

You forgot a big one:

Emotional justification for interfering with the independant development of surrounding sovereign nations

The enforcement of mass ignorance & substandard education.

Thought control.

Brainwashing. (Maybe these two go together?)

Promotion of hatred.

Elitism. (God's elect, and all that...)

Suppression of freedom.

Promotion of an abusive relationship, where the believer plays the part of the abused victim (loving a god who says your nothing without him and threatens you with torment if you ever leave him or fail to please him).

Promotion of an abusive relationship, where the believer plays the part of the abused victim (loving a god who says your nothing without him and threatens you with torment if you ever leave him or fail to please him).

I'll just second this one!

Does getting into everyone else's personal business count? I don't know how many times I heard my mother telling a friend about something embarrassing about my dad or one of us so the friend could lift us up in prayer. And what about all those sex rules "thou shalt not..." Sounds like folks using religion to get involved in others people's personal lives...

Oh and a barrier for some to gain medical care...(We'll pray for you and you'll save the dr visit.)

I am putting together a list of problems caused by religion as a discussion starter additional ideas etc welcomed.

7) Abuse of children

Literalist interpretation of sacred literature used to manipulate and brainwash children - entire generations of children.... :vent:

This is the way fundamentalism ensures that violence and hatred will continue on into the next generation of humanity - across cultures and religions :vent:

I believe that religion is also mainly to blame for people not giving half a rat's ass about the planet's health and the welfare of animals, since the bible teaches the world and animals are here for our amusement and nothing more. Just one reason I can never accept the xtian cult and will fight it until I'm dead.

1) The opposition and resistance to science

2) The undemocratic control/distortion of democracy

3) Legislation of morality

4) Sexual discrimination against women

5) Control and manipulation of education

6) Advocacy of censorship

7) Abuse of children

8) Psychological problems

9) Failure to pay taxes

1) Not this Christian.

2) I'm all for equal rights of every individual

3) God doesn't belong in politics. Law needs to be in place, but not a theocracy

4) Not here. Women have equal rights as men.

5) I think that children should learn morals and how to respect those older than them. They don't need faith shoved down their throats.

6) For the public eye, yeah. In private, no.

7) How do we abuse children? By teaching them to love one another?

8) Those who pray and have faith in something tend to be less sick and heal faster than those that don't.

9) I pay my taxes. 20% of my pay goes to the federal government.

I am sure that you do, does your church? Thats the point here.

I am sure that you do, does your church? Thats the point here.

Don't know and don't care.

1) Not this Christian.

Then you're being anti-Xian, for in Xianity faith is the way of your god, while the learning and wisdom of this world are of the devil. Good for you, though.

2) I'm all for equal rights of every individual

But your god isn't. He doesn't treat unbelievers the same as believers, and has a history of ordering death against those whose only crime was having a different religion. Even Jesus threatens non-xians with eternal torment. Clearly, your god does not support equal rights. Again, good for you, though.

3) God doesn't belong in politics. Law needs to be in place, but not a theocracy

According to the OT, the only proper king for men is your god, and according to the NT, Jesus will rule us when he returns. Clearly, your god think he should be involved in government. But, still, good for you - your thinking is strong beneath the Xian veneer.

4) Not here. Women have equal rights as men.

The Babble says nothing about equal rights for women. It does say that a man should love his wife, but not respect her. To be fair, it says a woman should obey her husband - not love him. There is nothing about either spouse showing true honor and respect for each other, aside from not screwing around outside the marriage. Your thinking is still good, but it just does not come from Scripchah.

5) I think that children should learn morals and how to respect those older than them. They don't need faith shoved down their throats.

Yes, they should - but Jesus does not say to be easygoing about the faith. We are to spread it to all the world, to never dare deny Jesus before anyone, and given the clear implication that not raising the little ones Xian is akin to leading them astray.

6) For the public eye, yeah. In private, no.

According to the Babble, doing one thing in public and another in private is hypocrisy. According to human nature, it is the same way. Why censor only in public? Isn't spreading Xianity more important than freedom of speech?

7) How do we abuse children? By teaching them to love one another?

No, by teaching them they will go to hell without faith in Jesus, and that without him they are worthless. Also, they are told that Jesus says that a man must hate his loved ones for the sake of Christ, which includes children. How can Xians teach their children such filth?

8) Those who pray and have faith in something tend to be less sick and heal faster than those that don't.

Where is your proof? I've personally known many faithful, serious Xians of many denominations who prayed for sick loved ones who did not heal, or even died. And there are denominations, like Xian Science, which teach not to use medicine at all, and that faith alone will heal. There are dozens of stories about Xian Science adherents dying when simple medicine could've saved them. Seems like those who are ill tend to die just as quickly or even faster than those without such delusions.

And why does your so-called merciful god need people to pray for healing to begin with? If he really cared, he'd just heal them straight off. No such thing happens because no such god exists.

Yet your church doesn't have to pay a dime? Why?

You demonstrate good moral thinking, yet it doesn't line up with Babblical (im)morality. I advise you to take a long look at yourself and an honest look at the Babble, and see that the Holah Scripchahs are no moral guide.