Goodbye Jesus

Secular Grace

Questions

My spouse is still Christian and expects my preschooler to say grace at dinner every day. It disturbs me to hear my child, who does not attend church, chant "God is great , God is good let us thank him for our food " every day. What could he say instead that would still cut it for my spouse and extended family but not be overtly religious? Something simple and short that could be mistaken for a prayer or at least not offensive that still conveys gratitude ? I've tried Google with no success.

How about starting with a declaration?  "I am grateful for . . . ."  Then list off things like the people in the

room.  Basically it's a variation of the Thanksgiving Day declaration.

"I am grateful for this food that we can eat, for my mommy, my daddy, my sister, my brother, my

grandparents and that we can all be together.  Amen!" 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
My spouse is still Christian and expects my preschooler to say grace at dinner every day.

What about your wishes? 

A true compromise would be exposing a child to various religious concepts but not forcing them to actually practice any of them. Christian cult indoctrination of your child will eventually become a big problem, so set some ground rules now.

I've always liked the old classic:

Good food, good meat

Good God, let's eat.

Kidding aside, what we do sometimes in our house, especially in situations where the people present may expect grace, we do quick round the table "what are we thankful for" statements.  Completely secular, as we are not thanking any god, and it encompasses *anything* that we are grateful for, not just food.  It's always bugged me that Christians make a big deal about saying grace at mealtime, but where do you draw the line?  Saying a quick prayer everytime you have even a little snack?  Or drink some water?  Or take a breath? 

"God isn't Good, God isn't great, Now clean off all your F'en plate".

Just kidding.

Have them read Matthew 6:5-6 right before grace.

• Like 1

This is hard to read - so many things I need to resolve too. My child loves going to church and I know I have to work out how to explain that I think differently on all this now :(

Just kidding.

or Hosea 13:16

Just kidding.

or Hosea 13:16

Hosea 13:16 16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. (emphasis added)

I think that could frighten a child from rebelling against religion--all those bad things happening to those who rebel.

I like the tradition of my people for silent grace before meals. That allows the nonpray-er to think his or her own thoughts while others are thanking God or blessing the food or whatever. Also, little children are considered too young for a proper understanding of God and prayer, and are merely taught to sit quietly during prayer. In my opinion, if you could implement such a tradition in your family under Jesus' injunction that prayer should be private, you might be able to solve some problems.

Tell your spouse that it's up to him to be the priest in his own house, not to place the responsibility on a child.  In other words, if he wants to give thanks, he should do it himself.