Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Do About Christmas With Kids?

PuffOfLogic

Hi all, I've been starting to think about how to start having the "I don't think God is real" talks with my 5 year old child. I have some of the resources/books recommended here and I think I can work my way through that. But Christmas is vexing. I mean I'm happy to take the Christ out of Christmas, but I don't think a child should have a world without Christmas. Has anyone had any issues or does it just kindof work out ok? I guess non-Christians don't have any trouble, but there will be church pantomimes etc., perhaps it will actually just raise some good conversations.

It's also a winter solstice festival… you could tell them about different kinds of seasonal festivals from many different cultures. (Kwanza is one, Yule is another.. there are many more) My heritage is mainly celtic/germanic so I delved into that a bit.

Not all at once though.. 5 is pretty young. Keep it simple and fun.

I started with my kid by beginning the festivities on the 21st, and incorporating a yule log (VERY FUN for kids to help decorate) and making simple seed cookies to hang on the trees (woods near the house) for the deer, with pretty ribbons. We wassail with honey mead…(apple cider for the kids) we made our own gifts and wrapping.. the big thing for me was to remind my kid to be thankful, explain how hard winter was for people before technology and that is why they would come to gether at that time to celebrate the return of the sun and share with each other.. and that sharing what you had with friends and family was the real meaning during a cold, dark winter.

Find out more about what the winter solstice was about.. before and around christianity. Hint… it isn't a christian holiday, at least it wasn't for a very long time. 

• Like 1

It works itself out.  That stuff fundies rant about over Christmas being too secularized and too

commercialized - well Christians know that is what separates Christmas from their religion.  Ravenstar

offered up some great suggestions on how to widen the festivities.  For the last two years I have put up

a Festivus pole and honored the Sinfield holiday on December 23rd.  I still wish people a Merry Christmas

on the 25th but I also wish them a "Happy Solstice" on the Solstice.  It's simply a great holiday season

and your kids will come to love it for the presents at first and later on for the family gatherings and food.

• Like 1

I actually used to have the opposite problem as a christian - how to get Jesus back into Christmas! The focus is so much on presents and cookies and stuff that I struggled the other way. We were never really into the whole church pageant thing, so I think it will actually be easier this year.

That said, I have always tried to keep the focus as much as possible on giving and helping those less fortunate, so you might try focusing more on that.

Guest sylensikeelyoo

Christmas is a time of deep tradition in my family. This is going to be my first Christmas as a non-christian. I intend to do everything I'm used to doing and just cut out the Church service on Christmas Eve. I actually thought about incorporating more pagan traditions, such as the Yule log and hanging holly and ivy around the doors and windows. I feel like traditions are very important, because they can be a useful tool for teaching your children about where you come from. My family is German, so we celebrate Saint Nicholas Day on the 6th. My kids LOVE getting candy in their shoes, and learning about our heritage. It's also a great way to teach origins of legends such as Santa Claus and Jesus. I think knowing the origins of things can help my children think critically about things they are told by people. Traditions and holiday rituals can pe packed full of teachable moments between you and your kiddos. I suggest that you keep doing it, even if you are not religious. It can still be a positive experience for everyone!

We still celebrate Christmas, but it's lost most of the magic.

5 years old does seem a bit young for the no-God conversation. My daughter is almost 5 and she hasn't heard of the concept of God yet (thankfully, I deconverted the year she was born). She's been to church a few times, but never asked why people go. She's seen the nativity display at the shops, but I think in her mind it's just another christmas decoration/event, like Santa Claus and reindeer (she also knows Santa's not real, but still loves seeing displays of him).

Maybe she'll ask about the nativity this year. I haven't really thought about what I'll say, but I'll probably say something like it's a story about a baby named Jesus being born and people loved him and brought him presents. The end lol.  She'll probably think it's just another made-up story.

As for Christmas, it's my favourite time of the year. It's a fun tradition, I don't have to actually believe the story behind it to enjoy it. We do a tree and presents, etc, but the only difference is no church and no Jesus decorations.

Give them presents, decorate the home, have a big meal and laugh a lot.

Tell them the religious stuff is only a tradition.

Enjoy yourselves.  It won't be a significant issue if you don't get hung up over it, I suspect.