Goodbye Jesus

Oh Shit, Phelps Is Coming To My Neighborhood

texmex2003

If it makes you feel any better, I'll be joining in your misery--if for different reasons.

I am not looking forward to Sunday. It combines two of the things I hate most in this world: my job as a Domino's insider and sports.

It combines two of the things I hate most in this world: my job as a Domino's insider and sports.

I hated being forced to participate in sports when I was a kid, but I don’t think I really hate them in general. I do find sporting events incredibly dull.

Without making any effort at all I was able to remain ignorant of when the SuperBowl was scheduled until yesterday. I also learned yesterday that Seattle was playing. I still have no idea who they are playing against. :shrug:

Phelps' loons are protesting my town next week too. They're protesting a memorial service for fallen soldiers at Ft. Campbell.

I got to deal with these hatefilled loons on Superbowl Sunday. There is a great sports bar right by the church, Well Fruck. :vent:

I recommend a good rifle and a quality sniper scope. :Hmm:

Yes it's illegal, but if someone gets killed in that place on that day, I damn hope it's freddie.

My good laaaawrd. That pamphlet is UN-BAH-LIEVABLE. ULTIMATUM?

:Doh:

Seriously, I still feel like people make this shit up, being that I have this different perception of America as a whole since being a child, but I believe you all because you have no reason to lie. Now thank God I live in California, and maybe I should educate myself and take a trip to BibleBelt (or not) but I honestly am still in "shock and awe" whenever I see this stuff - happening in America?!?!?!? It's expensive to live out here, but I love it man – given all things - and I honestly feel for you guys that have to bump into the thumpers all the time. Here we "pray" to bump into them just so we can have fun and sharpen our skills. Not that they aren't around, but they seem much more underground ... or maybe we have laws against fundamentalism here in CA. Haven’t checked it out, because we have laws for everything, but it’s possible – who knows.

:eek:

OMG WOODSMOKE REPRESENT!!!

*pounces and snuggles*

Texmex, my best suggestion: get a bunch of people and counterdemonstrate for the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Dress like PIRATES!

I'm not sure what's the best approach to handling Phelps and Westboro Baptist (aka Phelp's family members).

They seem to crave publicity, so it seems like ignoring them completely might be the best approach. On the other hand, if they are not countered in some way some (stupid) people might think their message is valid.

Two words folks:

Caveat with a "For Entertainment Puposes Only"

Smoke Grenade

Don't ask, and I can't rat out the guilty parties.

kL

I hated being forced to participate in sports when I was a kid, but I don’t think I really hate them in general. I do find sporting events incredibly dull.

Without making any effort at all I was able to remain ignorant of when the SuperBowl was scheduled until yesterday. I also learned yesterday that Seattle was playing. I still have no idea who they are playing against. :shrug:

Good point. I suppose it's not sports I hate so much as the pathetic saps who've done nothing with their lives and thus feel they have to live vicariously through the accomplishments of "their team."

No, that's wrong. I don't even really hate them. I just hate having to deal with them.

OMG WOODSMOKE REPRESENT!!!

*pounces and snuggles*

Hehe, I remember coming across the thread you started about your own job a while back. The expiration date had passed for throwing in a casual comment of my own (was a week or more old by then, I think), but I remember being able to identify with damn near every word typed.

I preferred dealing with folks who knew exactly what they wanted and got straight to the point before, but one cannot have a true appreciation of the few people with that attitude until one has worked at a pizza joint. :vent:

Two words folks:

Caveat with a "For Entertainment Puposes Only"

Smoke Grenade

Don't ask, and I can't rat out the guilty parties.

kL

Hehe, I second this. :wicked:

Well, there was a total of 2 protestors at the church. No "god hates fags", no "burn in hell fag" signs. I think Phelps group has went to Atlanta to protest outside Corella Scott King's funeral this week. This might get them some whoppin' if they go chanting she is burning in hell around that group.

The counter demonstration was much bigger, had one sign of "there must be a better way than hatred", (I think it is what it said).

Guest Enforcer

I have not only heard of this P.O.S. Reverend Phelps, I've met him and his whole P.O.S. family. I used to work at Western Carolina University and they came out to protest the play, "The Laramie Project." What a nightmare. Rev. Phelps and his clan are almost all lawyers who are no longer recognized by the bar association and I think their protests are more designed to generate lawsuits than out of actual conviction in their beliefs. :loser: They say the most hateful things and try to provoke someone into hitting them. Then they sue the crap out of everyone involved. I had the task of watching their back. I had to actually act like a body-guard for these folks. That's the worst job I ever had, even though Phelps and his family were perfectly nice to me, I couldn't stomach the things they were saying and doing. However, they do have the freedom to say stupid things.

They even had their 6 and 8 year-old daughters out there standing on the american flag, preaching how god hates fags, america, fornicators, and everyone else who doesn't subscribe to their particular brand of bullshit. At first, the crowd tried to engage them in a theological discussion, then it became an argument. On the last day, the crowd simply showed up, looked at them quietly, then they turned theor backs on the Phelps and walked away. It was great.

If ya'll haven't checked out the website, do so. The picture of the decadence dance is worth it. As is the Matthew Shepard Monument. They actually have a count of how many days Matthew Shepard has spent in hell. Really nice.

You want a way to turn their hatred against them?

Make a fundraiser out of it. Try having people pledge money for every X number of minutes they protest, and use the proceeds towards the appropriate charity.

If you can, give this to Loretta Scott King's family as well.